Duane Chapman Wins Custody Of Grandson

Dog the Bounty Hunter, whose real name is Duane Chapman, is furious after hearing a recording of his son allegedly beating his grandson.

Dog-the-bounty-hunter

Duane "Dog the Bounty Hunter" Chapman was awarded temporary custody of his 9-year-old grandson after an audio tape surfaced that recorded his son, Travis Mimms, beating little Travis Mimms Jr. The boy's mother, Barbara Katie Chapman, is Chapman's daughter and was killed in 2006 in a car accident.

A neighbor made the tape and called the police to report that Mimms was abusing his son. In the recording, you could him yelling at his son to "bend over" and then the child can be heard being hit 13 times. The boy was heard crying, "No more daddy, please."

Chapman said he was in LA at Gene Simmons' wedding when the tape was emailed to him -- and he was overcome with rage after he heard it. "It was overwhelming to me and I got mad -- I instantly thought, 'I can't wait to get my hands around [Mimms'] throat,' but then I am trained enough to know not to do that," he told ET.

Chapman, who stars on the reality show Dog the Bounty Hunter, said he was "shocked and heartbroken" to hear of the abuse. "I know Travis Sr. loves his son, and I know it's very difficult to be a single parent at such a young age, but I love my grandson and only want what's best for him," he said. "During the last phone call I had with my daughter, Barbara Katie, she said to me, "Please, daddy, take care of Travis Jr. Don't ever let anything happen to him."

"To hear the audiotape of my grandson being abused was torture," he continued. "We all hope and pray that Travis Sr. will be able to raise his son with the love and respect he deserves, because it's in everyone's best interest for them to have a proper father-son relationship."

Travis Sr. says didn't hit his son thirteen times, but he did hit the boy three times, "once for me, once for him and once for God."

Chapman and his wife, Beth Chapman, said they want Travis Sr. to get help and take parenting classes to break the cycle of abuse.

Photo: WENN

Tags: dog the bounty hunter

Comments

Comments on "Dog the Bounty Hunter’s family drama"

JG February 07, 2013 | 5:17 AM

This is one of my favorite shows. I love Dog, Beth and the whole family. God Bless y'all for doing good works. You're reward is in heaven. Many thanks to all the wonderful things you have done for people. Good job!

Traci October 05, 2012 | 1:51 PM

I really miss this show . Dog, Beth and the whole team really tried to help the people they caught and their families. They are good, Christian people doing God's work.

Katie August 29, 2012 | 8:25 AM

Everyone needs to keep there comments about Beth to there self she looks great are you guys jelious you can't be top heavy like her if she likes them and dog loves them that's all that matters lol so stop hating on Beth because u know what she probably loves you she a great person

Steve July 22, 2012 | 5:39 AM

Beth get a Breast reduction.... u look like a clown....one day u will just fall with all that weight on your back. Sorry to see the Dog go....he ment well... but beth held him up all the time doing makeup and deciding on shoes

Leslie Gross June 21, 2012 | 11:53 AM

We really love your shows.Watch them everyday.Sucks they canceled the new shows.Keep Bounty Hunting.Be safe.

NightHunter June 05, 2012 | 3:18 AM

I think Mimms should get three years in jail for this: One for him, One for the boy, and one for God!

Frances May 31, 2012 | 2:44 PM

Thank you, thank you Duane for stepping up to the plate. If someone would have done this for my sister then she would have been alive today. Most people don't want to get involved and look the other way. It takes guts & caring to do for an innocent child. Blessings & Hugs :)

Diane January 19, 2012 | 12:15 AM

My comment is about Beth.. What a joke.. I mean, she needs to stay home some and take care of her own kids..get a breast reduction.. Seriusly..she looks like she is so top heavy.. She will fall over..ad as for the Dog.. Get real.. Stay out of te sun.. Your turning into one big wrinkle..cut that bleach blonde mop on your head.. Andwear a t shirt.. Your not all that.. I promise....You wear those sun glasses 24/7.. put them up.. You have racoon eyes.. Cuz the sun glasses cover your eye.. I really wish.. Y'all would get a real jobs..your show is a joke.. Beth.. Your nasty.. Lol

Marla January 15, 2012 | 9:24 PM

In the early episodes, we see Bonnie and Gary with two other little children all the time. The two with the very light blond hair are Abby (Lyssa's daughter) and Travis (Barbara's son). Check out the pumpkin patch episode, Christmas episodes, Dog coming home from jail etc). Dog and Beth had custody of him before and after his mother was killed in the accident. I know they are a second chance family, but Travis Sr. has already been given his second chance and blown it. I am very glad they have taken custody away, but please hang tough and protect your own.

amy stillwell January 11, 2012 | 8:26 PM

As I listened to the recording on the internet I broke down in tears.I am so sad for that little boy.My son is a single father and no matter what he would never hit his son...And my son was raised by a man who was a mean and nasty man who loved to hit.It took me 13 years to get out but I did.so my son has broken the cycle.People need to realize that children are a gift from god.I hope Dog and Beth never let him go back to his father...God Bless them for all they do for many people.

kathy sweet January 04, 2012 | 6:31 PM

i can relate my second husband try control my kids but was good to me but a evil person behind my back.

kathy sweet January 04, 2012 | 6:28 PM

love your show i wish you guys did a show for missing people . my brother is missing.kep up the good work.

Irene December 23, 2011 | 12:58 PM

Dog he lucky that u did beat his a** I wish u the best my prayers go out to u and DON'T GIVE HIM BACK. LUV U STAY SAFE U AND IT FAMILY GOD BLESS YOUS

Rebecca Newman November 09, 2011 | 10:33 AM

Barbara Katty died the morning of their wedding in the car accident.She died at like 2am in the morning and they found out around 8am in the morning so it was the same day as their wedding.But this is about little Travis and the abuse he suffered.The dad should be put in jail for a few days,the court should require him to take parenting classes.God Bless This Little Boy..

lynn November 03, 2011 | 12:27 PM

he should of never done what he did to that poor child i hope they get full custody of the child not him

sara roach November 01, 2011 | 2:50 PM

travis should be ashamed. he could of grounded his boy or he could of gave him a time out! life is too short, enjoy life and what it has to offer. there will come a day that travis jr. may have to care for sr. one never forgets what one has beeen dealt, what comes around goes around! may GOD have mercy on his soul!!!!

Heather October 28, 2011 | 8:41 AM

it wasnt their wedding day it was the day before the wedding.....

donna bowes October 27, 2011 | 7:29 PM

why was he beating his son my god the boy has already lost his mom be a man love your son dont beat him one day you will regreat hitting when he gets older he may kick your --- i would love to wacth that.

Ginger Jameson October 27, 2011 | 7:27 PM

I feel really bad for everyone involved. It is hard beinging a single parent but that does not mean you can take it out on your kids. They (the kids) don't understand the stress and everything that goes with it. I am a single mom and I love my boys more than myself but I could never beat my child. To Dog and Beth, good luck with your grandson. Watching you has helped me with strenth. I quit drugs and moved 500 miles away to stay off drugs. I changed my life for my children, that is just what you do as you both know. Thanks for everything. My boys and I love watching you guys. I love watching your son...hot. God bless.

Roz Fruchtman October 27, 2011 | 7:16 PM

PLEASE CORRECT... THANK YOU in advance! The abuser is NOT Dog's son. Travis Sr is his "son-in-law!" He was married to Dog's daughter Barbara Katty who passed away on Beth and Dog's wedding day.