Mama Martha & A Bestie Break-Up

Alexis Stewart appeared on The Today Show recently to promote her "tell-all" book about her mother, Martha Stewart. The interview went from cold to awkward as the conversation turned from Whateverland to Alexis' co-author and former best friend. Watch!

Alexis Stewart's The Today Show appearance on Monday went from bad to worse as the conversation oscillated between her Whateverland book about Martha Stewart, to her falling out with co-author Jennifer Koppleman-Hutt.

Alexis Stewart on The Today Show

"It's supposed to be funny," Alexis Stewart tried to explain of her book while appearing on The Today Show, seated next to her ex-best friend (also former radio show partner of five years and co-author of Whateverland). "It's not a book about my mother," she insisted. "It's a book about growing up and learning to live with what happened or didn't happen." Alexis later added, "Everyone can make funny stories up about their families."

Yet as much as the world doesn't seem to be getting the joke about Whateverland, in which Alexis Stewart writes she was raised with "a glue gun pointed at my head" and no food readily available, it was talk of the failed friendship that put an icy chill in the room.

As the pair discussed their friendship "break-up," the daughter of Martha Stewart shared, "If you want to punish somebody, never talking to them again is a really good method," adding, "some people are very clingy and some people like to be by themselves."

The two women, who created the Sirius radio show Whatever with Alexis and Jennifer, often poked fun at Martha Stewart and found success in a show called Whatever, Martha during which they made fun of Martha Stewart Living reruns.

Using the metaphor of a marriage for their friendship Alexis Stewart said, "One day you look at your husband and you're like 'oh -- not anymore.'" To which Jennifer Koppelman-Hutt chimed in, "That's how she looked at me!"

Watch Alexis Stewart on The Today Show here!

What do you think of Alexis Stewart's The Today Show appearance?

Do you have any interest in reading Alexis Stewart's Whateverland book?

MORE ALEXIS STEWART NEWS:

Martha Stewart loves her daughter's book
Alexis Stewart has a potty mouth
Martha Stewart's daughter reveals her dark side in new book

Image via Today Show

Tags: alexis stewart

Comments

Comments on "Alexis Stewart gets awkward on The Today Show"

heather gail June 25, 2013 | 7:14 PM

OMG what a horrible person. I felt so sorry for Jennifer. Just image working with someone so miserable every day for years. Yikes!!

Max March 25, 2012 | 6:46 PM

Alexis is a spoiled brat. She seems to think that she is entitled to - well everything. Good Luck raising that child. . . or Good Luck to the child. I think a child needs more than 1 parent. Not a mother and father, just TWO people to help. The child will be in need of the 2nd parent as soon as 'it' (a boy or girl?) talks and needs logic and support!!!

jjinnc November 25, 2011 | 1:33 PM

Well said Kate.

Homer October 27, 2011 | 6:55 PM

Wow I am glad I died as a young bulldog or this would have poisoned my dog food by now. I guess she now has enough FU money handed to her that she can be as nasty as she wants. Very sad to see someone that was cool, wild and a bit twisted turn out to be sad, cold and heartless. She could have been so much better. What a waste.

Kevin October 26, 2011 | 12:38 PM

Alexis is breathtaking. As in a breathtaking stuck-up snot.

pattycake October 25, 2011 | 5:48 PM

wow just wow.. she is just awful.

Carren October 25, 2011 | 5:19 PM

Alexis Stewart's humor is very sarcastic and dry, and if you don't "get it" then yes, you will think she is "stuck up". I don't believe she is. Of course I don't know her, and no one else who is commenting on here does either (I must assume). She comes off (to me) as a very strong, independent woman. I think her mother raised her well, her mother "gets her", obviously or she wouldn't be promoting her daughter's book. People, lighten up, and don't judge people you really don't know. I look forward to reading the book, I like her humor, I enjoyed her shows and I loved her radio show, so yeah...I "get her".

Madonna October 25, 2011 | 4:29 PM

Alexis is combative and defensive just like her Mother.

Kate October 25, 2011 | 1:59 PM

Alexis is an intelligent, creative, multi-talented individual. Her humor is very dry and dark, her personality prickly, all of which could be defense mechanisms she has learned to cope with pain. She had a hell of a childhood being mostly invisible since both parents were consumed by the demands of getting Martha to the top. Alexis was never allowed to be a normal child and the constant corrections and criticisms must have taken a toll on her. Damaged individuals cope by shutting out those who cause them more pain. She has done this with her father (who abandoned the family to be with Martha's former assistant), her late Grandmother (who did nothing but find fault with everything she did), and now her former friend. It's been alluded to that Jennifer and her powerful father, pushed Alexis out of her radio job. I don't believe she is cold, I think she is a wounded soul.

Ross October 25, 2011 | 1:19 PM

Alexis Stewart is nothing but spoiled child of a famous person. She is also very cold and heartless! She doesn't even deserve to have a friend as Jennifer! I have no interes in reading her book, but I feel sorry for her mother who obviously didn't raise a good person! But then again Martha is ok w/her daughter making fun of her and even trying to promote her book!! Is that the only way Alexis can make living? Making fun of her mother?!!!...

jean October 25, 2011 | 1:15 PM

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Alexis seemed like a very cold and calculating, downright nasty person. It was a stark contrast to Savannah who is warm, loving, and intelligent and witty. I have no interest whatsoever in the book.