Alec Baldwin Tweets Troy Davis

On Twitter, Alec Baldwin expressed his rage about the execution of Troy Davis.

Alec Baldwin

Troy Davis was executed last night after a last minute appeal to the Supreme Court was denied, leaving many supporters outraged -- including Alec Baldwin.

David was convicted of the 1989 murder of police officer Mark MacPhail based on eyewitness testimony -- but seven of those witnesses later changed or recanted their stories. Davis has always maintained his innocence, and some think that Sylvester Redd Cole, another man with Davis that night, is the real killer.

Alec Baldwin is absolutely outraged not just over his Emmy joke being cut but by the execution and began his rant minutes after Davis was put to death.

"The anti-justice haters won tonight," tweeted the 53-year-old 30 Rock star.

"Wonder if the MacPhail family will seek death penalty for US leaders who killed thousands of US soldiers and countless innocent Iraqis," he wrote.

"Every sensible American is appalled when police officer is killed. But the attendant charges are grave. U don't want 2 kill an innocent man."

"Troy Davis is still dead. The gulf, still contaminated. Fukushima, still radioactive. Iraq, war. #wecraveignorancesowecanshoplikeamericans"

Conservative blogger Michelle Malkin tried to taunt Baldwin for his humanitarian stance, writing, ""Waiting for Hollyweirdo @alecbaldwin's "I am Troy Davis" tweet..."

Baldwin shut her down immediately. "Davis is dead Does that make you happier, @michellemalkin?" he shot back.

"I wonder if @michellemalkin will push the needle in herself on a man the former FBI director said might have reasonable doubt on his side."

Davis' lawyers argued that there was "abundant evidence" the other man committed the crime, including testimony from people who said Cole admitted to being the shooter.

The last words of 42-year-old Troy Davis were witnessed by an Associated Press reporter:

"I'd like to address the MacPhail family. Let you know, despite the situation you are in, I'm not the one who personally killed your son, your father, your brother. I am innocent."

"The incident that happened that night is not my fault. I did not have a gun. All I can ask ... is that you look deeper into this case so that you really can finally see the truth."

"I ask my family and friends to continue to fight this fight. For those about to take my life, God have mercy on your souls. And may God bless your souls."

Troy Davis was executed by lethal injection and died at 11:08 p.m. Wednesday night.

Image courtesy Joseph Marzullo/Wenn.com

Comments

Comments on "Alec Baldwin outraged over Troy Davis execution"

JonasSalk September 30, 2011 | 6:07 PM

I don't believe in the death penalty. However, the supreme court gave him and his lawyers a chance to prove his innocence in 2009 and reviewed the evidence again just before his death. Why isn't this 53 year old actor who verbally abuses his kids standing outside the supreme court with a sign in his hand if he's so outraged?

john September 25, 2011 | 8:23 PM

It also be pointed out that the 7 of 34 witnesses who recanted their testimony were friends of Davis. They didn't want him to die obviously. One of them changed their story to " I dont know ( who shot the cop)" even though he was standing right beside the murdered cop when it happened. Guns are loud. Troy Davis shot the cop twice, who was, might I add, just trying to help a homeless person that Troy Davis ( the angel?) was beating the crap out of.

Terri September 24, 2011 | 1:37 PM

"Troy Davis is still dead. The gulf, still contaminated. Fukushima, still radioactive. Iraq, war." Really? So Fukushima is America's fault? The gulf being ruined by BP and Transocean is Amerian's fault? How so? WTH is he talking about? I think for the death penalty, it's warranted now and then, but that's not what happens. It's used as a tool by the corrupt government to frame people they want to get rid of that probably know too much, and have to silence their exposers.

hope September 24, 2011 | 7:18 AM

I believe Troy was innocent.. He has however made his peace with God and will live on.. however the persons responsible for his murder will die.. i suggest they too make peace in God... the policeman family that wanted this innocent man dead along with the persons that murdered him, will get their reward and it wont be pretty... god is the ultimate judge.

Cappie September 23, 2011 | 5:25 PM

I think what happened was a complete disgrace. I'd like to see what the big talkers would feel like if it were them on death row.. or a member of your family, throw you in jail and have everyone condem you and not even have a fair shot..and this stopping and starting of the execution is barbaric. The MacPhail family was so determined to make someone pay I honestly don't think it matters who it was..dont get me wrong..I feel for them but killing someone there was NO PHYSICAL EVIDENCE linking them to the crime IS NOT JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!..we hear ALL the time about people wrongly indentifying the accused..now the USA is killing someone because of hearsay!?!?.. absolutely terrible..Georgia should hang their heads in shame..they're no better than the person who pulled the trigger in the first place.

Rick Berry September 23, 2011 | 4:35 PM

I am truly outraged over Troy Davis EXICUTION !!!!! It should have been done way sooner than now !!!!! Mr. Baldwin has no business even commenting over this issue . He does not know Troy nor does he know what type of a person he was. Let me break it down for you Mr. Baldwin , Troy was a gangbanger with an extensive criminal history, he used to beat up special needs kids in school and steal their lunch money , as well as other kids way younger than he was. He slapped our 8th grade teacher in the face because he was caught cheating on a test . (I suppose you gotta start thugging sometime or another to to wind up on DEATH ROW ) I personally think that someone like Mr. Baldwin who might I ad is a drug addict and an alcoholic could be so bold as to open his mouth about someone he has no idea about. I never was a fan of yours , & now I sure as hell will never watch you on tv or in a movie again.

Funkymalone September 23, 2011 | 2:39 PM

Kill 1 your a murderer, kill 1000 your a conqueror.

smartguy September 23, 2011 | 10:58 AM

lmao, yea took real courage, so commendable, gosh I wish I could walk in Alec Baldwins footsteps.

tamigurl September 23, 2011 | 10:31 AM

I always liked Alec Baldwin... even more so now for his courage in speaking out.