Modern Family
Gets A New Lily

Modern Family's Mitchell and Cam’s adopted daughter Lily will no longer be played by twins Jaden and Ella Hiller, but by a new adorable 4-year-old actress named Aubrey Anderson-Emmons.

Modern Farmily's new Lily

The Modern Family cast has a new daughter, as twins Jaden and Ella Hiller are out after playing Mitchell (Jesse Tyler Ferguson) and Cam's(Eric Stonestreet)  adopted daughter for two season.

Why the cast change? A source reports that the twins "didn't enjoy acting" and "became agitated and unhappy" during scenes. This is somewhat surprising, as they always looked so happy and content on-air.

Their mother, Michelle Hiller, told People that they are done with Hollywood (for now!) and just want to be kids.

"Ella and Jaden are enjoying new toddler adventures in swimming, dance, gymnastics, and rock climbing," she says. "They are happy with the freedom of being 3 [years old]!"

Santa Monica native Aubrey Anderson-Emmons is the 4-year-old that will play the new Lil -- and she has lines this year!

The pint-size actress is also reportedly adjusting on set, thanks to a little help from actor Nolan Gould, who plays Luke Dunphy.

"She's really adorable," Gould told EW. "The first day I met her, she was kind of hiding behind her mom's leg and I brought out my iPad and started playing with it and she comes out and she's like [gasp] and started playing with it. It was really cute. I haven't worked with her yet. But she is really happy. She says lines. She does everything. She's really cute."

Also check out: Modern Family's kids mature: Alex "might kiss a boy!" >>>

Photo: Bob D'Amico/ABC

Comments

Comments on "Modern Family cast change news!"

LorelaiAnn May 13, 2012 | 12:18 PM

I hate what they've done. I don't like the new Lily (the character, not the kid), I loved the cute little silent one, it was a great character.

Emm January 17, 2012 | 11:29 PM

I agree with Connie W. I liked Lily's deadpan demeanor. I thought it was funny and I thought she was cute just being 'present'. I have nothing against this little actress, she too is cute...I just wish they would've stuck with the age line (gotten a 3 yr old little girl) of Lily's character instead of her growing big all of a sudden. :(

Connie Whitman December 01, 2011 | 7:58 AM

I'm an avid viewer and love the show, but I find myself really disappointed with the change in Lily's character. The twins have been with the show from the beginning, and part of their charm was Lily's deadpan attitude. The new Lily is too much over the top for my taste. I will continue to watch the show, but would really love it if you would bring the old Lily back. The show has been great, and none of the actors should change. If you feel a change is really necessary, please just send them off on a long trip, or back to China. Just don't replace them with another actor. In my opinion, it just doesn't work. Thanks for listening. Connie Whitman

Doodledeb September 23, 2011 | 8:58 PM

The old "Lily" "looked happy and contented on camera"? Are you kidding? These kids never looked happy. They looked withdrawn and unhappy. At least the new little girl looks like she's having some fun. Whew! That's a relief!

Antia September 22, 2011 | 5:50 AM

I watched the show last night (9/21), the new Lily is soooo adorable! She's such an good little actress too. I'm glad Lily grew up. The twins that played Lily in the previous seasons never smiled or cried. They just sort of "was there" Weird but cute.

Jacy September 21, 2011 | 5:26 PM

Cute! Can't wait to watch this tonight. It was time for Lily to grow up and have some lines!