Kirstie Alley Weight Loss Reality Check

Kirstie Alley says she is now a size 4. Fashion critic Tim Gunn isn't buying it however, and is calling the actress out on her size statements while giving a lesson on a sneaky technique known as 'vanity sizing.'

Tim Gunn

Tim Gunn isn't falling for Kirstie Alley's claims that she's lost 100 pounds and now wears a size 4 dress. The Project Runway fashion consultant famous for telling contestants to 'make it work' is putting size in perspective for anyone willing to listen.

Estimating Kirstie Alley's actual dress size Tim Gunn told Steve Kramer's morning radio show, "I think she's between an 8 and a 10."

Yet it may not be all Kirstie Alley's fault her sizing is off. The actress shared previously, "Before Dancing with the Stars, I bought these dresses from size 14 to 4... all the same dress, and I said, 'You know what I really want? I really wanna be in this dress in a 4.'"

Tim Gunn explains, "There is a phenomenon out there right now that I call the lying deceptive shell game of vanity sizing. In fact a 4 is really a 6 or an 8." The 58-year-old has even done an experiment to prove his 'vanity sizing' theory. He shares, "We took a size 8 dress from 1980 one from 1990 and one from 2000 and compared them and the difference was two and a half inches in the waist alone!"

So though the tag inside Kirstie Alley's little dress may say '4' Tim Gunn believes her true size is more like an 8 or 10.

At the end of the day Tim Gunn is supportive of Kirstie Alley's weight loss, saying, "She looks fabulous. People are too size conscious. It's all about how you look and more importantly how do you look in your clothes!"

Image via WENN

Comments

Comments on "Kirstie Alley a size 4? Puh-lease says Tim Gunn"

diana December 04, 2013 | 3:19 PM

Kirstie must think we are all stupid!! She is still a "big" woman. I bet she is a size 20. and a size 4 in her dreams!!!! Dream on Kirstie.

lori September 21, 2011 | 5:38 PM

She lies about her weight all the time. At her heaviest she claims she was around 200 - 220 lbs - more like close to 300. Why lie we all know

Suzie September 18, 2011 | 2:33 PM

I'm a size 6 and so much thinner than Kirstie. She clearly (by looking at the size of her legs) is a size 10. She looks awesome so it doesn't matter, but why lie? Be happy you lost all the weight you did. You go girl! ;)

ksh September 16, 2011 | 11:55 PM

what an unbelievable ---! Tim gunn as absolutely NO class whatsoever!!! Why does he even care what size she "really" is. nearly every woman in america bends the truth about some aspect of their appearance. whatever size she is she looks completely sunning. i dare so better than ive ever seen her look... and she looks happy! only a miserable, LITTLE man would try to take that from her!

smel September 16, 2011 | 3:55 PM

I agree with Jayne. Why doesn't she point out that an 8-10 is actually HEALTHY and what used to be considered the ideal size BEFORE we had the industry taken over by anorexic cocaine snorting es.

Amy September 16, 2011 | 2:38 PM

It's about time someone told her! She looks good, but enough already.

Jayne September 16, 2011 | 2:34 PM

It would be much better if Kirstie came forward and said "Size 8-10" is a huge accomplishment for me, and this is an ideal weight for me. My BMI has been lowered to a healthy level, I am so proud of my muscles, and also that I have great curves. My doctor says if I dieted down to a size 4 it would not be healthy, my BMI would be too low and wreck my metabolism and bone mass." Give women an honest appraisal, and someone real to aspire to. BTW if you watched Project Runway last night, with all the male references to boobs, it's clear "they" don't care about a size 4, as long as they get double D's to play with. :) I wish women placed more importance on BMI than sizing.

Lori September 16, 2011 | 2:01 PM

She says she is a size 6, not 4...and she looks fantastic!