Is Miley Cyrus Misunderstood?

Miley Cyrus says she is not the “good girl gone bad” that the media likes to portray. In fact, she is just like every other 18-year-old, y’all.

Miley Cyrus

Miley Cyrus has had her fair share of controversy, including the smoking-salvia-with-a bong incident, the inappropriate lap dance video and multiple tattoos – but the 18-year-old former Disney star says it's all par for the course of a normal teen.

"People see me as this perfect Disney star, and the moment I put out a record that says 'I'm not 11 years old anymore,' people look down on me. Every 18-year-old explores sexuality and experiments and tries things," she told the Sept. issue of Prestige magazine. "For me there's no reason to change that. You have to be true to yourself."

Cyrus grew up in front of the cameras, starring on her own hit show Hannah Montana when she was only 13. Even before the show, she was used to the Hollywood life, as her father is country music singer (and her Hannah Montana co-star) Billy Ray Cyrus.

"There was this magazine article the other day, showing all the younger celebrities. I was the Girl Next Door or whatever, and I fell under the category of Good Girl Gone Bad. And I was like, 'What the hell, man?'" "she ponders. " I stay in the house pretty much every day. I don't go out. I've had the same boyfriend for two years."

The Can't Be Tamed singer promises she is not heading down the Britney Spears head shaving path.

"I'm not some crazy lady who's gone off the deep end, because I definitely haven't. I just always try to be real."

Photo: WENN

Comments

Comments on "Miley Cyrus: Every 18-year-old explores sexuality"

stephen farrier September 18, 2011 | 11:49 AM

IM Love Miley cyrus And she all grow up im can't wait making movies and music with miley cyrus and ashley tisdale.

faith September 16, 2011 | 8:44 PM

MILY HAS GONE INSAIN!PLUS MAJORE WAERDO!

rewan September 14, 2011 | 7:49 AM

SHE IS AMAZING i adore her just the way she is and the new miley is amazing true smilers will stuck with her in the good and the bad times always with u miley smilers 4 ever u haters

Amy September 10, 2011 | 10:21 AM

"Miley Cyrus: Every 18-year-old explores uality" Not really. Exploring happens around 13 or 14 as nature designed it. At 18 girls are experienced. As for Miley, i never believed the whole purity ring 'i'm a good christian and a virgin until marriage' crap. It's just that she's 18 now and no longer plays Hannah Montana, so she doesn't have to pretend that she's not a total breezer . As long as Miley has been in the spotlight, we've seen nothing else than leaked sleazy pictures, suggestive photoshoots, and short glitter tops and metallic hotpants on stage.

Reality Check September 09, 2011 | 10:31 AM

Someone please tell me what multiple tattoos and bong smoking have to do with "exploring uality." If you think either do, you're obviously a very, very confused and strange little girl Miley.

maria September 09, 2011 | 5:11 AM

miley i love you and i will always support you !! don't be sad about this -------- articles and the -------- haters !! do what you want to do and stay true to yourself !

mihika September 09, 2011 | 1:57 AM

MILEY I SUPPORT U!!!! NO MATTER WHT!!! C'MON GUYS ''MILEY HAS GROWN UP NOW'' SHE IS NO MORE HANNAH FRM ''HANNAH MONTANA''' !! SHE IS ONE OF THE HOTTEST TEENAGE CELEB ON THE PLANET EARTH!!! ND ITS HER LIFE,, EVERY INDIVIDUAL HAS A RIGHT TO LEAD HER OR HIS LIFE IN THEIR OWN WAY!!!!

Garry Lewis September 08, 2011 | 11:22 PM

Let the girl live her life, as the late and great Hank Williams sang, mind your own buisness, and you won't be minding mine, minding other oeoples buisness seems to be high tone, I got all that I can do just to mind my own, so mind your own buisness and you'll be busy all the time! Back off! And let the girl live her life, "Nosey ---- people."

Jack September 08, 2011 | 9:07 PM

Miley Cyrus, I like what I see so far, you may continue.

Lucy September 08, 2011 | 1:48 PM

Miley Cyrus needs to quit with the tattoos! How many does she have now? 5? 6?

blah September 08, 2011 | 1:44 PM

miley your my used to be favorite celeb now i hate you please change