Lucci Won't Join AMC When It Goes Viral

For 42 years, Susan Lucci has epitomized the character of a strong woman on television, as the mischievous Erica Kane on the long-running ABC soap opera All My Children. Now that the show has reached the end of the line on the network, Lucci is moving on.

susan lucci

It was reported today that daytime diva Susan Lucci will not, in fact, join All My Children when it goes viral next year. After a lifetime on the show that made her a star, Lucci is saying adeiu to Erica Kane.

According to Deadline.com, Lucci has declined an offer by Prospect Park (the production company that will put All My Children online) to continue on with the show.

The Daytime Emmy winner was reportedly offered a deal that is almost identical to what she has with ABC, parent company to the show. It was stated that the superstar wanted more perks than the company was willing to offer, including working fewer hours and a commitment for a primetime series.

Both All My Children and One Life to Live are airing their respective television series finales on September 23 and January 2012.

Lucci stated in an interview with TV Guide regarding her last day of shooting the series, "Walking out on to the set for my first scene yesterday morning. I have to say, I started to feel it...I had to rein my emotions back in because I had to work, but the setting was spectacular! Perfect for the last day of shooting."

She then continued, "That is what went through my mind. And yet, somehow, I couldn't believe it. I mean, I have spent my entire adult life in this collaboration with (creator Agnes Nixon) and playing this amazing character."

Stated Walt Willey, longtime friend and co-star of Lucci to tvline.com, "I am very excited about it all though (the changes with the show). These folks [at Prospect Park] are innovators and I think they are very smart. I think that getting this up and running by fall was a little on the undoable side, but now it seems that both AMC and One Life will be starting up on the internet at the same time in January 2012."

Recently Lucci, angry with the way All My Children has been handled, blasted ABC Daytime President Brian Frons for the cancellation of the long-running soap, in a leaked excerpt of a new epilogue in her memoir All My Life.

ABC responded by stating, "We have all the respect in the world for Susan, and are sorry she felt the need to write this epilogue to an otherwise incredible career."

Tags: all my children cancellation susan lucci

Comments

Comments on "Susan Lucci to leave All My Children"

Bonnie January 24, 2013 | 10:25 PM

Where would Susan be without the fans? She adored us when she was riding high.

Trevor January 23, 2013 | 9:59 PM

Prospect Park has failed its 2012 attempt. However, there seems more promising 2013 attempt. This article only covers Lucci's 'no' in 2012 attempt, she might not try to say yes to 2013 attempt either. But this defintely is outdated

Norma September 28, 2011 | 9:57 PM

I wish Ms Susan Lucci my best and good wishes for her and her family. I also want to Thank her for all she gave throughout the years, she could have left "All My Children" a long time ago. For all of you out there she already took a pay cut, and I don't think for her it about money. "All My Children" needs your support for all the actors and cast, I can hardly wait to watch the new frontier take off. God Bless "All My Children".

Norma September 28, 2011 | 9:48 PM

Good Luck Ms Susan Lucci, thank you for all those years you gave us Erica Kane. Have a great life we will all miss you.

Joy September 28, 2011 | 8:44 AM

I, too, have been a fan of AMC since its onset in 1970. Because I work during the day, my only option was to catch the daily episodes of AMC & OLTL via internet. So the transition to viral was not an issue. However, I can't help but wonder how much of the fan base in the age group of 70 & up will be lost. My grandmother, at the age of 101 years, is STILL a big fan of both programs. I know for a fact that she has no interest in the "new-fangled" world of the internet. I believe ABC will ultimately regret their decision. As for Susan Lucci, I admire her conviction. Yes, she will be missed by her loyal fans but I believe she has been as loyal to her fans and to ABC.

Kathryn Lumsden September 28, 2011 | 8:39 AM

This is just another case of "GREED" - she may have taken a cut in her AMC pay, but the has other ventures that PAY BIG!!!!!!! For the little time that she acts on AMC - she is paid WELL!!!!!!!

Cheri September 28, 2011 | 7:04 AM

If Susan Lucci is so aggravated with the way ABC handled the cancelation of All My Chidren wouldn't it be better for her to continue with the on line version to show her Fans she is willing to be there for the show and especially for her fans. Where would she be without the fans she has?

Bye-Bye to ABC September 28, 2011 | 5:45 AM

Doesn't anyone remember that Mrs. Lucci has already took a big pay cut so that AMC could stay on the air. I think that she was told if she did that and some of the other actors did the same it would save the show. But as we can see it did not help, so now people are ready to throw Mrs. Lucci under the bus because she isn't just giving these people what they want. I have been a fan from day 1 and I feel as fans we were tossed under the bus also. Maybe I am wrong but I do not feel Mrs. Lucci is all about the money, I believe her feeling have been hurt just like ours have been. We have been very angry with AMC, so why can't she be angry, also. I believe Mrs. Lucci is a very beautiful, kind, loving person, that is very true to her fans but like all of us we would not want to work for free. I will not be watching AMC on the computer, that is an insult to me. As for the "CHEW", there are sooooooooooooooooooo many cooking show, self-help, just talk show, I have also stopped watching T.V. all together, I need something fun, so again good bye ABC. Let all the country go to Dr. Phil and he can send them to the "CHEW".

Debby September 15, 2011 | 12:18 PM

Maybe after 40+ years on one show and now being in her 60's (even though she does not look it)Susan Lucci is just ready to call it quits. She gave her life to All My Children and that role. She deserves the right not to continue with it online if that is what she wants.

Skater Boy September 13, 2011 | 9:50 AM

Let's be fair we don't have all the facts nor do we really know Lucci's position. She has been very loyal to ABC and AMC up until now. Hopefully they can work somthing out but I don't believe there has been any formal anouncement about her not signing on. I do believe she had a career outside of AMC before but that time may long since gone. Ihope she isn't making a silly mistake.

Joanne September 12, 2011 | 12:44 PM

When I think of all the writing, calling and emailing I did to help try to keep AMC on the air, I just see red reading that Susan Lucci has decided not to continue on with the show due to money. If they now do not continue on with AMC because of her then she doesn't care about her fans who helped put her where she is today. She truly is acting like ERICA KANE. I will never watch or read anything connected to her. Shame on you. I hope they continue on without her. They really don't need her but I hope their decision does not hinge on her being a part of it.

Laura September 11, 2011 | 4:35 PM

I believe the show could survive without Susan. There have been a lot of actors that have left the show only to return in the future. I'm not sure the show can survive being on line only. Hopefully PP will be able to get Soapnet or some other cable channel to re-broadcast the episodes. I read somewhere that without Susan, PP is going to focus more on OLTL. Since Pine Valley and Lanview are suppose to be close to each other, maybe some of the characters from Pine Valley could re-locate. One thing is for sure - there is no way I'm watching something called "The Chew"! ABC can not cram another reality show down our necks!

Mary Steger September 10, 2011 | 11:01 PM

While I am disappointed Susan Lucci has chosen to not continue on as Erica Kane, lets face it : forty two years in the same role ? The woman has a right to end her soap career any time she deems fit. We soap fans were fortunate to have her on tv for this long. Thank you Susan for a wonderful ride.

Jean September 10, 2011 | 2:33 AM

I am very disappointed in Susan Lucci. She was offered the same amount of money and did not take it and now the show my be cancelled because of her. I always loved her and can't beleive she is making these demands of them when she went along with anything ABC asked of her. She worked for them for 40 years and did not make demands of them. ow our show may be cancelled because of her. I will not be buying her book now.

Linda September 09, 2011 | 6:26 PM

I am so upset with ABC. Look at my email name Madreamc Madre what my children jokingly call me and amc because I love All My Children and have since the very first show. I will not get involved in another soap and will say so long to ABC.

Valerie September 09, 2011 | 5:30 PM

@Ricky, these soaps are the only thing I watch on Abc now. I've stopped watching all my favorite shows. SEE YA ABC!

Longtime AMC Fan September 08, 2011 | 12:44 PM

Not too long ago, after the cancellations were announced, it was thought that AMC and OLTL faced oblivion. Amazingly, Prospect Park came along and figured out a way these shows could continue online. The programs may not be identical to the TV versions, but many actors have agreed to make the transition and many more probably will. It's normal in soap operas for characters to come and go, even key characters, so I don't see some personnel changes as a problem. I'm excited that AMC and OLTL are in the position of trailblazers in a new medium that is sure to grow.

Michele G, September 08, 2011 | 12:26 PM

Soaps have lost about 90% or so of their viewers since the 1980's. Wait till they go to the Internet exclusively, if they think nobody watches now, they will lose another 90% of what they have left! I for one will not watch TV on a computer screen, too small, gives me a headache to watch something for any extended period of time & I think a lot of people feel the same way. Three people in my family who watch the ABC soaps now will not be following them to the Internet. We'll see how long this new soap concept lasts.

jbiller September 08, 2011 | 8:38 AM

I can't believe Susan Lucci will not join AMC online. I am so disappointed in Lucci. I guess she believes is as special as Erica Kane! How could she do this to her costars and her fans. I was going out this weekend to buy her book but that won't happen now.

Ricky September 07, 2011 | 5:58 PM

I am so disgusted with ABC. They are classless ! I will only watch AMC and OLTL on ABC. When those shows go off the AIR, no longer will ABC be on my TV. NO ABC on MY TV.