On-Screen Dad Mad
At Shia LaBeouf

Veteran actor Harrison Ford has a bone to pick with Shia LaBeouf. What did the young'un do to earn the ire of his Indiana Jones dad?

Harrison Ford and Shia LaBeouf

Shia LaBeouf and Harrison Ford may have only played a father/son pair on-screen, but their real life relationship has a distinct tone of disapproving dad to it. Seems the young actor's behavior and criticism of his role in their film Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull have rubbed the veteran the wrong way.

Shia LaBeouf, seen here with Harrison Ford at the film's 2008 premiere, was the recipient of a strange mix of flattering and harsh words from his co-star, stemming from the 25-year-old's outspoken honesty about the film's faults.

"I feel like I dropped the ball on the legacy that people loved and cherished," Shia LaBeouf said. "You get to monkey-swinging and things like that and you can blame it on the writer and you can blame it on Steven Spielberg, who directed. But the actor's job is to make it come alive and make it work, and I couldn't do it. So that's my fault. Simple."

He continued, "[Harrison and I] had major discussions. He wasn't happy with it either. Look, the movie could have been updated. There was a reason it wasn't universally accepted."

In reaction to Shia LaBeouf's words, Harrison Ford told Details magazine, "I think I told him he was a [expletive] idiot. As an actor, I think it's my obligation to support the film without making a complete ass of myself."

Softening his tone just a tad, the 68-year-old added, "Shia is ambitious, attentive and talented -- and he's learning how to deal with a situation which is very unique and difficult."

The debut of Transformers: Dark of the Moon means it's time to see if Shia LaBeouf has learned his lesson!

Image via WENN

Comments

Comments on "Shia LaBeouf gets ripped on by Harrison Ford"

Tom July 06, 2011 | 5:52 PM

Shia is young enough to be excused for shooting off at the mouth, and Ford is experienced enough to tell him to knock it off. What's the problem?

Gerrit Dykstra Jr June 30, 2011 | 9:47 AM

I agree with Harrison Ford. He is a genius, I've seen almost ALL of Shia's films. And nearly ALL of Ford's. What I see is self centered arrogance on Shia's part. Mr. Ford has been in acting for A LOT Longer than LaBeouf, and knows a bit more. I believe Shia should keep his mouth SHUT, for what you do today will be remembered tomorrow.

Jim C June 30, 2011 | 9:44 AM

I think the idiot is Ford or should say ass. I hate that Hollywood actors talk about a movie like it is the greatest. I understand you can't totally trash a movie either, but I think Shia told how he felt and was honest. The movie did suck and Spielberg is over rated anyway to me. I hate to spend my money on things when you can't see it or touch before hand. So when you have a actor saying this movie is wonderful and it really isn't I feel robbed.

Captain Kickass June 30, 2011 | 9:33 AM

The movie was lame. 19 years for a sequel to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and this is the best they could come up with? But LaBeouf is an idiot because he might be put in Steven Speilberg's doghouse for those negative comments. And Harrison Ford is a jerk for calling LaBeouf an idiot in public. He may have pissed off some Transformers fans.

pjack June 30, 2011 | 9:32 AM

Lebeouf has no concept of team and unity... he probably never was an athlete or ever was disciplined adequately as kid... me, me, me, me, me... think about what this does for fellow performers, directors, investors, and financiers -- image and profitability down the drain.

Jo June 30, 2011 | 9:28 AM

Shia Lebeouf is a very good actor. Otherwise he would not be in big movies such as Transformers, The Greatest Game Ever Played, Wall Street. Mix reviews - this is all perception. How much acting did Harrison Ford do when he started the first Indiana Jones - it was not such good acting either - there were a lot of stunts and computer work. He was being humble about it and he was not happy about his acting.

Justin June 30, 2011 | 9:11 AM

I am a total moron, ignore my comment earlier. "PC" culture. I sound like a complete idiot!!!!!!

matt June 30, 2011 | 9:01 AM

Ford comes across as an old fart. However, I think LaBeouf is forgetting that Speilberg would view this as disloyalty, best keep your mouth shut until you write your memoirs.

jorge June 30, 2011 | 8:32 AM

all things considered i thought the film was ok but it was not the best story line and it missed depth it was not something to brag about but it was entertaining.if speilberg does another i think he should include george as a full partner,i am sure these two masters are able to build an exciting nail biting experience as in the previous ones prior to crystal skull.i do have to agree with harrison about shai he is too ambitious and he is still a rookie!!

bm June 30, 2011 | 8:31 AM

one of the reasons the movie was awful was the fact that Shia LaBeouf was in it! A terrible actor.. thats all there is to it. Completely unbelievable. So just like they cut Megan Fox (for her comments) out of Transformers, cut Shia out for the next Indiana Jones. Its that simple.

Justin June 30, 2011 | 8:16 AM

It was not a good Indiana Jones movie. By far the worst of the franchise. Shia is not the only person who thinks so. And whatever you say. You have to appreciate Shia's candid truthfulness. Especially in todays "PC" culture.