Teenage Dream
Come True

With yet another Teenage Dream single climbing the charts, Katy Perry may tie Michael Jackson's record for having one album that boasts five chart-topping singles. If Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) hits number one and Perry manages to nab another number one spot with her album, she'll break the King of Pop's record altogether! Meanwhile, Perry already broke her own record on the digital charts.

With Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) making its way up the charts, Katy Perry is looking to set a record as the first female to ever land five number one songs off one album. Michael Jackson reigns as the only performer to ever score that high five with his album Bad, according to Billboard.com.

Katy Perry's Last Friday Night (TGIF) could help her break records

Perry could conceivably meet or exceed Jackson's record. Of course, Perry's Last Friday Night would have to keep climbing and bump Adele's Rolling in the Deep off its seven-week winning streak to tie Jackson. And if she wants to break his record, she'll have to find another hit on Teenage Dream.

Perry's previous Teenage Dream chart-toppers include California Gurls, Teenage Dream, Firework and E.T. Back when Perry was a toddler, Jackson's winning set from Bad included I Just Can't Stop Loving You, Bad, The Way You Make Me Feel, Man in the Mirror and Dirty Diana.

As a side note, could you even read that list without hearing each of those hits playing in your head?

While Perry is eyeing the King of Pop's record, she's already broken her own digital records. Before, she boasted four number ones on Billboard's Hot Digital Songs, as well as four 4-million-selling downloads. Since Perry released her Last Friday Night video, the track has hit number one on the digital charts. Meanwhile, with E.T. hitting the four-million sale mark, Perry has not just beaten herself, but also put even more distance between her and four-million runner-up, Lady Gaga, who only has three.

But wait, there's more! Last month, Perry's E.T. beat out Cee Lo Green's Forget You (F--- You) as the top-selling download of 2011.

The longer Teenage Dream stays on the market, the longer the title seems prophetic. Clearly, Perry is not a teenager, but what teenager doesn't dream of this kind of success?

Comments

Comments on "Katy Perry looking to dethrone Michael Jackson!"

destiny October 28, 2011 | 10:30 AM

ha funny noone will dethrone my boo michael at all! If any one can defeat Thriller yall know the greastest and biggest selling album of all time then we can talk! but if they cant then hey singles aint nothin MJ is the most sucessful artist of all time. His videos are super amazing he has inspired so many artist Usher,Neyo,Chris Brown,Justin Timberlake etc. No one can beat him but like I said if somesone can beat Thriller 110 milloin copies sold in more then we could compare and he is the most awarded superstar ever!!!!!!!!!!! 23 guiness world records hello no one can beat that!!!!!!!!!!! There will never be another Michael Jackson period point blank!

Lucy July 03, 2011 | 8:27 AM

PS Keltema: SHUT UP YOU FREAKING TABLOID JUNKIE! Michael is INNOCENT! If you try to find any real evidence against him you will really just find proof he is innocent! He had vilitigito and I am pretty sure bleaching your skin is not even scientifically POSSIBLE! He got work done on his nose because his dad called him names like Big Nose when he was a child! He was still y! Sooo y!

Lucy July 03, 2011 | 8:24 AM

Perry will NOT pass my beloved Michael! I love you Michael! Katy Perry, BACK AWAY! Bad is one of the best albums ever! (All of Michael's albums are the best ever!) Katy Perry just appeals to 8 year olds like my cousin. Michael appeals to everyone! And plus Michael is the iest thing ever! And his music, dancing, and everything else he did was the best! I am NOT going to let Katy Perry get more hit singles than my Michael! I have a plan! Everyone go buy Smooth Criminal and put it at #1! Buy Smooth Criminal a gajillion times on every iPod/iPhone/iPad/Apple device or any MP3 you own! Michael will be the best forever! I love you Michael Jackson, forever!

courtney June 26, 2011 | 3:42 AM

I'm sick of the media myself insulting mike with every artist today first it was Taylor swift,then Justin Bieber now Katy perry what"s the matter they can't stand the fact that mike is a famous international black man and when he died he jam the internet and it was a big shock to a lot of people and his music downloads sales was high as a kite or they trying to just fade out his legacy by doing this I think its both but its not working out of all the legends that died before him why only target Michael?. Leave him alone already and stop putting fresh of the can young artist over someone who lived and breathe music they whole life he died doing what he was born to do. People that hates him and media is sadly mistaken if they think people are just gonna forget about him you can... but I'm not and so is a lot of people all around all world that loves his music will always remember him , that good for perry but no he can never be dethrone he will always be the king of pop and his music will never die so to hell with the haters and the jealous media. rip mj.

harry June 26, 2011 | 2:00 AM

MJ is always used as a metering stick, but no one can ever replace MJ. He is the most successful entertainer of all time, the most famous of all, crossed borders, genders, races. He is the King of Music.

Fangirl June 25, 2011 | 4:05 PM

I'm also very happy to hear that Katy Perry has dethroned that self-hating skin bleaching freak. I honestly believe he was a child molester. You don't settle child molesting case for tens of millions of dollars if youre iinnocent. That freak had little boys hanging around him since the 1980s. And with all the poor black orphans that need a home, this freak decided to get 2 white kids and a Hispanic to be his children and expects the public to be stupid enough to believe they're his biological children. Michael Jackson makes my stomach turn

Jessica Denton June 25, 2011 | 2:30 PM

Good for Katy Perry, she is getting somewhere with her career and is becoming widely known, yet no one will ever dethrone Micheal Jackson, whether she gets more records sold or not Micheal Jackson will always be the king of pop and the much preferred singer, yet Jackson and Perry are in no way comparable as there music reached to different people and appealed to different people.

LM June 25, 2011 | 12:40 PM

This is wonderful for Katy Perry. We can all grow when we see people having success doing what they love to do. It's inevitable artists will come along and records will be broken, what matters if how we react. Do we have to lash out and feel protective? Michael Jackson achieved his success - he was first to do it and yes it was at a different time for the industry. It's inevitable but he will never be dethroned or whatever you call it. He was a master artist, performer. Katy Perry is having her own life achievements but cannot claim a title that is only achieved through song sales. She has to step into her greatness in her life. To Keltema - I doubt that you are interested in dropping your misguided beliefs about Michael Jackson. Sounds like you are just in judgment and attack mode. Just so you know - as much as you believe he was a pedophile there are a 1000 more people who "know" he wasn't. My guess is your opinion is influenced by something deep within you not by the truth. As far as your assumption about his skin disease and all that you say. You couldn't be further from the truth. You just look so ignorant when you say what you say - so perhaps you might want to open your closed heart and learn something. Otherwise - well good luck to you.

Carmen June 25, 2011 | 12:03 PM

Ok if you dont like him stop googling him I get so sick of people complaining when you clicked on it all yall is and will be is ing hateersss

Child please... June 25, 2011 | 8:59 AM

Bad sold over 28 million albums! Katy album sold like shi!

russell crist June 25, 2011 | 7:57 AM

katy perry is like so freaking hot

MJFam June 25, 2011 | 7:15 AM

I love Katy Perry, and I'm glad she's successful. But, the title of this piece is a little...wrong. No one can ever "dethrone" Michael, ever. I think with downloads though, it's quite easy to surpass the "5 number ones" mark. Which is why I don't really think you can compare music now to music when Michael was around. I mean, those were the days when people would get up off their behinds to buy a single, now it'll all done from the comfort of their own homes. So, good for Katy, but does it really mean anything...I don't know.

Mikal June 25, 2011 | 6:31 AM

@Keltema That Is A Very Stupid And Rude Thing To Say.Where Is Your Evidence? How Do You Know What He Wanted? How Do You Know That He Chemically Induced Vitiligo? He Obviously Had It Cause His Son Prince, WHO IS HIS, Has It Too. Obviously, You're Just Another Unintelligent American Who Believes Whatever The Media Says And Makes Opinions Based On What You Are Told, Without Doing Your Own Research. MJ Was A Good Man Whose Music Was WAY Better Than Everything Out Today. No One Will Ever Be As Good Of A Singer, Dancer, Performer And Giver As He Was. Katy Perry My Ass! Michael Is Forever The King! She Will Never Sell As Much As He Did. :P

Keltema June 25, 2011 | 4:03 AM

In my opinion MJ was a disgusting pedophile who so hated being black that he bleached his skin until he probably had chemically induced vitiligo, made his nose smaller and more caucasian looking and got himself three non-black kids. I'm so glad he's being dethroned. Tired of hearing about that freak.

Toni June 25, 2011 | 1:46 AM

What do you expect....Michael is dead, no competition anymore. No one will EVER replace Michael Jackson. I think its more appropriate to say she has reached his level to surpass a record. You never hear this about any other legend.....why just Michael. I am very happy for Katy, but she is in no way close to reaching Michaels level of stardom.

Chatham June 24, 2011 | 9:02 PM

one hundred and twenty four. that's the combined age of my wife and myself. We're going to her concert June 25. Katy reaches all age groups. Chatham

George June 24, 2011 | 6:56 PM

Good for Perry. Mind you, she is no where near as good as Jackson. Jackson's music reached people of all races, and age. Perry's only caters to woman (Obviously there are male fans, but the huge majority are female) and pretty much teenagers.