Nick & Sophie Simmons: Normal-Ish

Gene Simmons might be a rocker -- and possibly a cheater -- but his two kids with longtime girlfriend Shannon Tweed are alarmingly normal.

Much of the focus of the first episode of the new season of Gene Simmons' Family Jewels was on his philandering ways and the tension between the rocker and longtime love Shannon Tweed.

Gene Simmons' Family Jewels -- kids Nick and Sophie

"Oh, we're going to show lots of warts this year," Tweed told TV Guide. "There were a lot of things that I kept to myself until they [their two children] did go to college. A lot of mothers do that. A lot of couples stay together for the children. I think it's an obligation that parents have... You made a commitment, you had children, you should see it through."

And what about those children? Simmons and Tweed's 'jewels' -- son Nick, 22, and daughter Sophie, 18 -- are both way more normal than we ever expected. After all, kids that grow up in Hollywood usually turn out like Charlie Sheen and Paris Hilton -- but both Simmons kids are in college and have normal chores.

Why? It turns out that Simmons and former Playboy Playmate Tweed don't just give their kids whatever they want.

"What I wanna do is what every bird does in its nest -- it forces the kids to go out there and figure it out for themselves. By the way, in terms of an inheritance and stuff, they're gonna be taken care of, but they will never be rich off my money. Because every year they should be forced to get up out of bed, and go out and work and make their own way," Simmons said a few years back about his kids.

"The point is, there's gonna be a yearly allowance so that their rent and their food and all that stuff's gonna be taken care of, but if you want riches, you should do that yourself -- you should never thank your parents, 'I was born into money.' 'Well, that's nice, but what have you done lately?' Because I don't want them to say, 'Thanks, dad, for making me rich.' No, you wanna be able to stand on your own two feet and say, 'I did that.'"

Honestly, we have to commend that. The two kids are definitely not brats -- you aren't hearing about them in clubs and getting into drugs. So, we might not like his comments about bedding 5,000 women, but we do commend Simmons and Tweed for their perfect little jewels.

Do you think Gene Simmons and Shannon Tweed raised two normal kids?

Tags: family jewels

Comments

Comments on "Gene Simmons and Shannon Tweed's kids: Surprisingly... normal"

suziQ June 26, 2011 | 6:28 PM

Shannon was and still is, an amazing mom. keeping chronicles of everything 'family', and documenting all memories. she seems a very strong woman, and it's obvious those kids love her like crazy.

Joann June 19, 2011 | 5:55 PM

Heba Jeba Your an idiot.

Kelli June 19, 2011 | 4:40 PM

Being a family friend, I can attest that the kids are VERY polite, well spoken and neither of them drink or do drugs. Never have..and neither of them plan on it in the near future. If/when I have children, I could only hope/wish for children as grounded as Nick & Sophie. xo to the parents!

TMH June 19, 2011 | 4:37 PM

Shannon raised both the kids. If they turned out "normal" give her the credit not Gene. Why do you think she made home movies? For Gene to see his kids special moments growing up because he was hardly ever with them.

Theresa June 19, 2011 | 3:42 PM

It bugs me when they drag 'kids' into these things..just because you cant make a relationship work, doesnt mean you cant raise healthy well adjusted children..they've done that, and I suspect that if they're having this much trouble themselves that they should have addressed this a long long time ago. Money buys a lot of things, but happiness isnt always one of the things.

margo June 19, 2011 | 3:20 PM

I give credit to Shannon for these level headed almost normal kids.She is the one who was there to guide them,wipe their noses,get up with them when they were sick and answer all the tough questions about life and homework.Where was Gene?To his credit he was working part of the time.But other times he was cavorting with floosies when he should have been home.Him and his not getting married bull was a slap in the face to a GOOD woman who stuck by him a lot of years without benefit of a marriage.Now, I doubt she even wants it.Why after all these years and 5000 women would she lower herself to a forced union?I think the lady is smarter than that.Gene for all his precious money that comes first...not so smart.

glenno June 19, 2011 | 3:13 PM

aren't they lucky to have two young adults so proud of their parents...they seem to be well adjusted and happy..don't see any major trouble most parents have to deal with.....congrats and keep smilin' simmons family

Kim Kane June 17, 2011 | 8:35 PM

Shannon basically raised the children because Gene was gone on tour and who knows what else. She is the back bone of that family. As for Gene, you ought to be ashamed of yourself and make an honest woman out of Shannon. Besides, she is your common law wife and gets half of what you have anyway!

Pat June 17, 2011 | 1:35 PM

I tuned in to the show to see Gene Simmons family etc., but I kept watching because of the relationship they have with their kids and how they treat them. I thought it was great when mom busted Nick for having people over and that they weren't allowed to just go off on a trip, dad was checking on them all the time. That is parenting that sets a great example. That is why I watched the show. Gene, on his own I could do without.

CLA June 17, 2011 | 1:30 PM

The Simmon's children are completely normal, it every child should learn that life is not easy, just because Daddy and Mommy have money. His children never have to worry about food or shelter just as mine I will take care of them they are my responsibilty, as for the finer things in life earn them yourself just as I did and you will appreciate them and take care of them. These 2 kids have resect for all people which just does not come unless they are taught not to be selfish. KUDO's to the Simmon's family

Greg June 17, 2011 | 1:19 PM

I commend Gene and Shannon for raising their kids to be"normal". To many kids whos parent are well off just turn into sponges. Thats not what life is about. Paying for the basics is a great idea. I agree with BRI it is one of the best reality shows on TV. Is it staged?who knows but it sure doesn't feel like it is.

heba jeba June 17, 2011 | 11:01 AM

how can they be normal when they have parents like that? I think what gene simmons said how his kids will never be rich off him is a ROTTTEN thing for him to say. He doesnt have enough money to share it with them than just making sure their rent is paid,. etc? what a lame ass lame brain. I understand that he wants them to learn the value of money and everything, but thats ridiculous! He doesnt deserve what he has if thats how he is. Must be nice to be that rich and such a jerk.

Bri June 16, 2011 | 2:18 PM

They're kids are absolutely normal! This is one of the best reality shows on TV because it's "real" and (doesn't seem) staged, among others...