Lee DeWyze Clears
The Idol Air

Snubbed American Idol winner Lee DeWyze is setting the record straight on his supposed refusal to give Scotty McCreery a trophy at last night's finale. What's really going on?

Lee DeWyze is finally speaking out about the rumors surrounding American Idol producer Nigel Lythgoe's claim that he refused to hand out the trophy to Scotty McCreery.

Lee DeWyze clarifies American Idol trophy scandal

"I was so upset Lee DeWyze wouldn't present the winners trophy to Scotty. Especially as he'd been on the show this Season. I guess he was shy," Lythgoe tweeted Thursday morning.

DeWyze said that's not what happened at all.

"Just for the record... I was not asked to be involved in the Finale. It wasn't until about 2 minutes before they announced that Nigel had approached me and asked if he could 'borrow' me for a second. I didnt feel a last second jump on stage was appropriate. It was Scotty's moment," DeWyze tweeted.

"I appreciate American Idol, and the opportunity it has given me. And the people who have made that show possible. I am not angry, or bitter etc. It was an amazing Finale, and I would have loved to be a part of it. I just wasn't asked. Good luck to all the Contestants and stay true to yourself."

Interesting.

DeWyze is so diplomatic about the snub -- we wonder if his brother will have anything to say about it on Twitter? We're hoping so.

What do you think: Do you believe Lee DeWyze or Nigel Lythgoe?

Comments

Comments on "Lee DeWyze on the American Idol trophygate: It's not true!"

Linda May 28, 2011 | 1:57 PM

Lee, always a gentleman. I would have rather watched him than obnoxious David Cook. I voted for Lee last year and my vote goes to him again....Nigel "SHUT UP," cause you screwed up, JERK

cecy May 27, 2011 | 9:13 AM

That sucks he should of been part of American Idol finale!! Nigel you're a piece of poop!

Leefans May 27, 2011 | 8:20 AM

Really....??? Nigel...e on....Lee you're one of the most humble American Idol winner....GOD Bless you Lee.

FUAMERICANIDOL May 26, 2011 | 5:00 PM

I said it once and I will say it again-@dizzyfeet (Nigel Lythgoe) is the worse kind of liar and a scumbag-hiding behind his tweets. Their was never an intention to have Lee play music on Idol, they just threw him a crumb at the last minute. This just makes it even worse..not surprised Nigel would pander at the last minute. He was getting bombarded with angry tweets from Lee's fans. Lee always the humble and polite guy, did what was right-Lee Wins, AGAIN!!!

Anne Jones May 26, 2011 | 4:57 PM

Thank You Lee for the truth. I don't blame you for not being a "can I borrow you a second" pawn. If Nigel waited til the last second, shame on him.

edisto May 26, 2011 | 4:56 PM

I didn't believe what Lythgoe said to begin with. How do you ask someone at the last minute to do something on a show that has to have been rehearsed to a certain extent. And Lee would have tweeted to his fans that he was going to give the trophy. Lee wins again.