Lee DeWyze
Trophy Grudge

Unfortunately for American Idol, it turns out Lee DeWyze is the type to hold a grudge. The season nine winner refused to present the American Idol trophy to new victor Scotty McCreery at the finale, and producers are none too pleased. Scandalous!

Did Lee DeWyze get cold feet about going on stage at the American Idol finale to hand down the winner's trophy to Scotty McCreery? Seems unlikely that a guy who did well enough on stage last year to win would suddenly lose his nerve.

During Wednesday night's season 10 finale, Scotty McCreery was announced the American Idol winner. Yet instead of the previous year's winner awarding him with the trophy pageant-style, Lee DeWyze remained planted in his seat. Judge Jennifer Lopez stepped in to fulfill the trophy duties due to Lee's apparent tantrum.

Referring to the Lee DeWyze trophy scandal, executive producer Nigel Lythgoe wrote on his Twitter page Thursday morning, "I was so upset Lee DeWyze wouldn't present the winners trophy to Scotty. Especially as he'd been on the show this Season. I guess he was shy."

Looks like there has been some bad blood going on between American Idol and Lee DeWyze for a while now. Contrary to American Idol tradition, the season nine winner was not invited to perform at this year's finale.

During Wednesday night's show, Lee DeWyze, who was sitting in the audience, was hardly seen on camera. Is it a coincidence that at one point host Ryan Seacrest stood right in front of Lee DeWyze's seat while talking, blocking the singer from view?

Looks like Lee DeWyze's refusing to hand off the trophy to Scotty McCreery is a gesture of his true feelings about American Idol!

What is your take on the Lee DeWyze trophy scandal?

MORE AMERICAN IDOL TALK:

Scotty McCreery dishes plans after big American Idol win
American Idol's Lauren Alaina hints at relationship with Scotty McCreery
Marc Anthony sings, J.Lo shakes it on American Idol finale

Comments

Comments on "Scandal! Lee DeWyze refuses American Idol trophy duties"

JJ May 28, 2011 | 8:47 PM

Who cares Lee su ck ed and know one cares about him anyway

Barbara Thompson May 28, 2011 | 10:47 AM

Lee deserved to be treated better than he was. Shame on you Nigel.

Di May 28, 2011 | 8:07 AM

Giving a trophy? What the hell is this a damn dog show. After the way Idol treated Lee after winning.. poor promoting and not letting him perform in the finale he was last years winner!! I dont blame him I would of told Nigel ...F...K OFF!... Nigel is an idiot. Way to go Lee..

Rockerchick45 May 26, 2011 | 4:50 PM

So I was right!! @dizzyfeet (Nigel) was getting so many nasty tweets about Lee not being in the Finale, that he felt compelled to ask "2" minutes before showtime? Shy my "ass". Lee keep on being you kid. From Lee DeWyze's Twitter- "Hey everyone, first off I want to say congrats to Scotty & Lauren, awesome job. Well done Scotty! Secondly, just for the record... I was not asked to be involved in the Finale. It wasn't until about 2 minutes before they announced that Nigel had approached me and asked if he could "borrow" me for a second. I didnt feel a last second jump on stage was appropriate. It was Scotty's moment.I appreciate American Idol, and the opportunity it has given me. And the people who have made that show possible. I am not angry, or bitter etc. It was an amazing Finale, and I would have loved to be a part of it. I just wasnt asked.Good luck to all the Contestants and stay true to yourself. Thanks everyone for your support, tour coming up... Good times :) I'll talk to you all soon. Love ya!"

FUAmericanIdol May 26, 2011 | 3:40 PM

No way that Lee DeWyze would have sat in that audience and not come up and presented the trophy to Scotty!! Something smells fishy in Denmark. If that is true, then his excuse would be that It was a slap in the face not to allow him to sing a song for 2.5 minutes instead of showing the montage of crappy Idol Wannabes. Most Lee fans think Nigel to be a self serving jackass...remember Nigel left the show, once before due to some differences of opinion with Simon Fuller/ Simon Cowell. He is NOT to be trusted, he is a scumbag.

K Thomas May 26, 2011 | 2:15 PM

Nigel L. is making up lies again. He should start a new TV show called "The Liar's Club." In all the seasons I've watching, I've NEVER known a past winner to "hand off" a trophy to the new champ.

Mary May 26, 2011 | 2:13 PM

I don't think there is a scandal here. I don't think any previous Idol has handed a trophy to the winner. I don't know why Nigel felt the need to comment at all except to stir up a little publicity. Lee has been nothing but gracious and positive about AI in every interview he has done, including yesterday. I think Nigel is trying to distant himself from Season9 and Lee is taking the brunt of it. Nigel should be a little more professional with his use of twitter. He could take a lesson from Lee.

Sam May 26, 2011 | 2:08 PM

This is just my opinion...so many Lee fans were upset with Lee not performing on the finale that Nigel wanted to get the focus off himself and put Lee in a bad light. Anyone who has followed Lee this past year knows that he has had nothing negative to say about Idol during his "reign". He just got back from a 2 week Asia CD promo tour but basically was promoting American Idol at the same time. He had nothing but good things to say...I think Nigel is trying to spin a tale to cover his behind. Also, let it be known fellow Americans that Asia treats our American Idols way better than we do.

Val B May 26, 2011 | 1:29 PM

I think Nigel has the problem as does Idol, why pick on Lee! this entire year they have not helped him promote his album or done diddlely scwhat for him. Blocking him from the viewers last night was sooo wrong! His songs are all well written and awesome yet they do nothing to get him some air time, Ryan has not even played any of his songs yet on his national radio station, c'mon enough is enough! It can't be true or it is twisted around yet again.

Amira May 26, 2011 | 1:27 PM

@Bob - What's not to believe? Nigel Lythgoe said, "I was so upset Lee DeWyze wouldn’t present the winners trophy to Scotty." Sure makes it sound like Lee had was wanted on stage. But I agree -- sh*tty move not to invite Lee to perform.

Purple Dreamy May 26, 2011 | 1:02 PM

Wow, all these different versions of the story. Lee said he wasn't even asked in everything I've read. A lot of Bloggers are making it seem like since his post-Idol production/CD sales absolutely tanked, no popularity whatsoever, they were kind of embarrassed about him.

Bob Landis May 26, 2011 | 1:02 PM

I don't believe the writer of this article. Seems to me that if Lee was not asked to sing it was not his fault that he was not up there to honor the new winner. Why bash Lee for something he had no control over?

insert name here May 26, 2011 | 12:39 PM

to not invite him is just wrong. They had plenty of time. Bono's spiderman thingy had no relevance to the show and should have been left out. It is tradition to have the previous winner perfom! Shame on Idol. I'm done with you. Can't wait for X-factor!

Em May 26, 2011 | 12:19 PM

I saw Ryan hand Scotty a "microphone-like" trophy. Scotty had to give the trophy to James so he could hold the real microphone and sing. I don't recall ever seeing a past idol hand over a trophy to the new winner. I do, however, remember that the previous winners perform on the finale. In my opinion, Nigel is trying to put Lee in a bad light when in reality Nigel is the one who is in the wrong here. It looks like the media is taking the bait and reporting that Lee refused to participate. The truth is that Lee has been nothing but gracious. He is not using his twitter to bash idol or Nigel. Nigel needs to grow up take a lesson from Lee.

Em May 26, 2011 | 12:18 PM

Keenly Kristin May 26, 2011 | 11:40 AM

I actually really liked the finale (of course, I was comparing it to the garbage I had to endure with Dancing With The Stars Tuesday night)...as far as Lee, possibly American Idol is not that great to deal with after you win the competition...perhaps they don't fulfill on commitments, or they have some crazy contract where they basically "own" you or something. Weird.

J May 26, 2011 | 10:38 AM

When did they start giving a trophy to the winner? I don't remember that from past seasons at all. I'd refuse to do it too. Seems lame. The finale was awful anyway.