James Durbin Vs
Adam Lambert

James Durbin surprised fans and judges when he was sent home from American Idol. Could former Idol star Adam Lambert’s comments have contributed to his ousting?

Former American Idol contestant Adam Lambert didn't hold back when discussing the season 10 contestants. In fact, some say his comments about James Durbin could have cost the singer the show!

Adam Lambert and James Durbin

Lambert was initially complimentary of Durbin, tweeting: "Durbin sounded bad (expletive) tonight! Lot more control! And while we both have a rock scream I think we're pretty different stylistically."

He changed his tune somewhat, telling The Hollywood Reporter that he was "kind of over" Durbin, whom he has often been compared to.

"I think he's got talent and passion 100 percent, but I feel like he's trying way too hard," Adam says. "Also, his niche is so limited with the metal. When he did that Heavy Metal song [by Sammy Hagar], James was note-perfect. He was on pitch, which is usually kind of an issue, and I think he sounded really good, but it felt like a copycat. I didn't feel like I was seeing an original artist yet. And I'm not saying he doesn't have that in him, but it hasn't been showing. Whereas Haley and Casey, they're bringing a little more legitimacy to it. They're more grounded in their own voices. When they did that jazz duet, that was nuts! They give off a good vibe."

Durbin had said that Lambert's American Idol performances had inspired him to try out, so he was understandably hurt by his diss.

"I was nothing more than nice to that guy and, you know, he decided to take it to a different level. So, whatever," Durbin told MTV.

Watch James Durbin talking about Adam Lambert:

Comments

Comments on "James Durbin reacts to Adam Lambert's scathing critique"

Postone April 03, 2013 | 6:28 AM

If you can't take the heat in the Kitchen then maybe you should go home. I watched James Durbin and he isn't that good! Certainly no comparison to Adam Lambert! Nice try though.... Adam Lambert can and did it all on American Idol during season 8! No one even came close to him (Adam Lambert) especially his voice. From the first show of American Idol to the very present no ONE holds a candle to Adam Lambert!

Ellie October 28, 2011 | 11:17 AM

Looking back on this now makes the comments by Adam seem even more unnecessary and obnoxious. My opinion? It's an elitist, snobby view of music. Durbin is totally an original in who he is, how he sings and how he performs. I love jazz and it's definitely 'hip,' but it's not the only way to be original. And, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being entertaining. Not many on Idol could have done the performances James did without looking like a fool. Adam, Casey or Haley would've looked foolish performing like James. But not James. He's a complete natural and there's nothing unoriginal about that, fur sure. It's a VERY rare talent.

Claire September 17, 2011 | 10:41 PM

Adam Lambert totally sucks.

killing_machine July 11, 2011 | 9:10 AM

I'm sure James won't release a CRAP of an album as Adam did. James rocks!

Anonymous June 04, 2011 | 5:44 PM

Quit with the comparisons, people! James and Adam are two very different (but talented) artists. And for whoever said Adam was just faking the rock thing for AI, that's not true. He's involved in a lot of different genres.

MG June 02, 2011 | 7:04 PM

I'm a fan of James and Adam,but if Adam wanted to be constuctive he should have said things to James not the media.Besides no one is completely original.They all take things from others...its called inspiration. Love James!!!and Adam!

Sarah May 31, 2011 | 3:30 AM

James, we love you! You ROCK! - D - M L - - B - - T sucks!!!

filchi May 30, 2011 | 10:29 PM

please watch adam's performances and james' then comment. adam is wwwaaaaayyyyy better than james. voice wise, originality and performance. james durbin is a copycat. his performance doesn't stand out.

May May 30, 2011 | 3:38 AM

I can't understand why people are too harsh on James, who just lives his dreams. Sometimes, people are just making things bigger and exaggerating while there's no BIG DEAL. And what's more, it's ADAM who starts being harsh on James. He shouldn't do that to a fellow singer who comes the same journey as him. Although I like Adam's singing, I love James far above just because he's humble, the only times he shows his pride is while SINGING. WE LOVE YOU JAMES!

ICYNDICEY May 29, 2011 | 6:23 PM

Adam Lambert sucks! Even that queen Clay Aiken thinks so. Now that's bad! I think this guy is James Durbin is the sh**! He's got an amazing voice!

Hannah Biggs May 29, 2011 | 12:01 PM

Adam was only giving his own opinion and plus Durbin did NOT get kicked off idol till semi finals not Adam Lambert mentour week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Durbin over-reacted 8{

Allison May 26, 2011 | 3:04 PM

I had James as the winner of idol and it was a great shock when he was eliminated. He is without a doubt a true rocker and I loved watching all his performances. James, this is your beginning to great success and thank you for being so true to yourself all the time. I believe in you and wish you and your family a happy future. I will be waiting to hear you on the radio.

PJL May 26, 2011 | 9:26 AM

What do ya know. James has fans, and Adam has fans. I like them both, and am not offended by either's comments. THERE IS NO FEUD! So let it go, and move on!!!!

Kerri May 26, 2011 | 5:33 AM

Adam is a faux-rocker. James is the real deal! What was Adam Lambert doing before AI? I can tell you, it wasn't metal. house music and raves, Broadway Musicals...he put on a Rock persona for American Idol. James is a true Rock Star and he certainly doesn't need Adam Lambert to validate him!

amyfarley May 25, 2011 | 8:47 PM

I think Adam is a washed up has been and a freak at that. Put him in a concert hall next to James and just see who has the fan base. James hands down would win. Adam looks like a harry potter wanta be weirdo at least James has a reason to call himself a freak. He is the ultimate Rocker or anything james wants to sing he is great. Also more class in his pinky than Adam could ever have too you didnt see james putting lamo down did ya no not at all James has way to much class and confidence in himself.

vic May 24, 2011 | 9:55 PM

@Alex You don't have to love Adam's music! Your bad taste in music is your problem! But stop trashing Adam by comparing him to this karaoke, mediocre, metal singer wanna be - James Durbin! He is Not James Hetfield yet ( if you know who is it). He is just a boy with really nasty attitude! Just read that he continue to talk not nicely about Adam in every opportunity, even when he not being asked about! Its getting bizarre! I think James became obsessed with Adam - just like his not so smart fans! Do you beloved James a favor - tell him stop talking and concentrate on music or something positive! You Not become a metal rocker by saing I AM A METAL ROCKER!

JWB May 24, 2011 | 2:01 PM

Why does James keep blaming Adam for his elimination? The voters spoke and he received fewer votes than the other 3 contestants - simple - but his fans keep blaming Adam, the voting system, Haley and whatever. Has James been signed yet? Maybe not?? Perhaps that could be the reason he's making a big deal out of this. Anyway, this James/Adam issue has well and truly worn out its welcome. Further, comparing Adam and James's singing prowess doesn't achieve anything except people making nasty, nasty comments. Adam is a pop/rocker but not a heavy metal rocker, and those of us fortunate to witness Adam's Glam Nation concerts know how superb his performances are. He performed at 117 concerts including concerts around the world, nearly all of which were sold out. You only reap what you sow and not only is Adam very talented, he's also a very hard worker.

Alex May 24, 2011 | 8:41 AM

@VIC This Durbinator doesn't give a . I don't hate Adam but I hate his music, GaGa does electro-pop better than him. It's such a pity that Adam hasn't done rock post-Idol, his voice is wasted on the mediocre corn dirge he currently sings.

llopez May 23, 2011 | 10:30 AM

OMG. This is funny. I didn't even know this was going on. Seriously, I think Adam is exactly what he looks like, "." Wearing black clothes does not make you a rocker. Can't say anything nice, don't say anything. Why you gotta hate on James? Adam can get some but James can't. If I were James, I wouldn't even worry about it. His performance on IDOL was outstanding. IDOL was all about Country this year, so be it. Keep your head up James, you're freakin awesome dude!

enough already May 23, 2011 | 9:06 AM

Adam has already tweeted the other day that he meant no harm to James and apolizied , he also will not be commenting anymore about anything idol when asked whereas everything he says is taken out of context. Durbin fans, get over it- adam did nothing wrong!