Maria Shriver
Asks For Privacy

Maria Shriver speaks out on the controversy surrounding her soon-to-be-ex Arnold Schwarzenegger's love child.

What is this, an episode of The Good Wife? Former California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger just admitted that he fathered a child out of wedlock a decade ago. The startling revelation is the reason why his wife, Maria Shriver, filed for divorce after 25 years of marriage.

Maria Shriver speaks out on Arnold Schwarzenegger love child

"I ask that the media respect my wife and children through this extremely difficult time. While I deserve your attention and criticism, my family does not," Schwarzenegger said in a statement.

However, Shriver isn't staying quiet.

"This is a painful and heartbreaking time," Shriver, 55, said in a statement to People. "As a mother, my concern is for the children. I ask for compassion, respect and privacy as my children and I try to rebuild our lives and heal. I will have no further comment."

What's even more heartbreaking is that Schwarzenegger secretly provided for his love child for the past decade while Shriver and his other four children were in the dark.

We really feel for Shriver, their four children and his other child during all of this. No one asks to be born -- and sometimes people forget that others will be impacted by their actions.

We have to admit -- our view of Schwarzenegger is a bit tainted now. He always seemed like such a family man -- it just goes to show that everyone has secrets.

Image: Owen Beiny/WENN.com

Is your view of Arnold Schwarzenegger the same after his revelation?

Comments

Comments on "Maria Shriver speaks out on the Governator's love child"

justsupose May 23, 2011 | 11:15 AM

Now, now people! The maid was married and came after him and had an affair that lasted years. She wanted to get pregnant with his child for the money. Plain and simple. She got what she wanted and was treatening to go public with it all. Seems Arnold was suckered. Once he found out it was his child he did the right thing and supported him and made him somewhat part of the family. That one indescretion that could not be covered up and he chose to not hurt his wife and children with the news. It was only when the maid was at her 20 yrs and she wanted to make sure she got a great retirement package in lieu of going public. In essence she blackmailed him. She knew what she was doing from the start. May God have mercy on her soul. Arnold should not have broken his vows but he was forced to come clean in January by the maid and her blackmail tactics. She should be in jail for that. Arnold provided for his son and that is honorable he did not deny he is his like so many celebrities do. I will pray for the whole shriver\schwartzenagger family to make peace and heal. The child is an inocent in this mess may he find peace and heal too. Put the maid in jail.

Vince May 21, 2011 | 9:46 PM

I don't follow why it's heartbreaking that Arnold payed for his own child. A double life is but not the actual support of his own child.

Keith May 21, 2011 | 6:47 AM

I know from personal experience that seeming tragedy sometimes improves eventual results. I know my sucess resulted from my parents divorce and my son's from a near death auto accident.

Jay Bedardio May 19, 2011 | 2:03 PM

SPERMINATOR is should Arnold's next movie.

Sharon May 19, 2011 | 12:29 PM

I'm old enough to remember when she publicly stated she would marry him and I thought "you've got to be kidding"! She's always been a classier act than he, but this does beg the question...what's up with these Kennedy women and their choices in men?!? Just goes to show that money can't solve all our problems.

Tracy May 18, 2011 | 6:41 PM

Paul S.-Typical male! It is about her and her children, just because they have money and mansions doesn't mean they don't have feelings! What he and the maid did was not right. PERIOD. I hope that everyone involved gets their privacy. And in case you forgot, it takes two to tango. The maid knew what she was doing.

Debbie May 18, 2011 | 4:49 PM

Blame Blame Blame - it's private - it's between all of them - who knows what goes on in a marriage - I don't feel sorry for any of them except the child

D. May 18, 2011 | 9:18 AM

Judge, judge judge. All people ever want to do. It doesnt matter whether he impreginates a woman or blows his load all over the dress of an intern on the desk in the white house, people love to hate. What goes on behind closed doors should just stay there, its nobodys business, We are all so perfect are we?? None of us have had our own infidelities? Who are we to judge. Men and Women alike make the same mistakes. Let them move on without the hypocritical fingers of the world pointing and scolding them.

Paul S May 18, 2011 | 8:07 AM

Hey Maria instead of worrying about yourself and your 4 kids that live in giant mansions and each have 200 million coming why not ask for privacy for the maid your hubby took advantage of & her son?? Typical Kennedy "its all about me"

kathy f May 17, 2011 | 5:48 PM

i never liked arnold, felt he was a slime ball , seems i was on target, marie will be much happier once she gets over this heartbreak, hopefully the media will give her and kids space, but i doubt it

Sheila May 17, 2011 | 5:04 PM

My heart breaks for Maria Shriver and her family, especially for their children. In my personal opinion, Maria should take him to the proverbial cleaners, for every dime he has, and then KICK THE SPERMINATOR TO THE CURB!!!!!!!! My thoughts and good wishes go to Maria and their children. The 'sperminator' doesn't deserve a plug nickel. I'm just relieved that her parents didn't live long enough to hear what this S.O..B did to their daughter and grandchildren.

jeanne May 17, 2011 | 4:49 PM

really sad. I thought they were pretty happy together, after all, 25 yrs. I always liked Arnold and thought the stories of his "playfulness" with other women were just that, stories. Guess not

Gregory May 17, 2011 | 4:46 PM

Everyone should throttle back here and not rush to judgement. It takes alot doing on both Arnold and Maria's part to let a marriage deteriorate to the point where one spouse or the other makes a poor judgement like this. Give them both credit for admitting there was a problem but it is no one's business to judge them other than each other and their immediate families. Reactions to this are as if none of us have ever made a really poor decision. Let's all take care of our families and let them worry about theirs.

bee May 17, 2011 | 11:53 AM

A measure of a man's life is taken at the end, defined by his son of if the father was a good man. In the end, this boy will not be able to say this about his father. Arnold is not a good man. He has been a selfish person. He uses people for whatever he can get from them regardless of whom he hurts. Rightly so, His own flesh and blood has distnaced themself's from him. I question Warren Buffet's opinion of him, and I personally will not pay any amount to see any movie he ever acts. People should distance themselves from him It is pathetic statement of his life, but he is a pig.

Dude... May 17, 2011 | 11:44 AM

The Sperminator...

Pat May 17, 2011 | 11:41 AM

I'm sorry for Maria if she thought her husband was being faithful all those years, and for the children who will have to live with this very public story for the rest of their lives. "Yeah, my dad was a real shmuck." But, unfortunately, nothing is surprising any more. Men do what they do, and women too often stand by them. I'm proud of Maria for leaving Arnold to his vices. She is saying Arnold may be the prize, but she is awarding him to all those "sisters" who were too willing to help him destroy his family.

Paula May 17, 2011 | 11:37 AM

So with time, the cheating, lying men move on. All is forgotten and they continue with their careers and more women. For the women cheated on and hurt though, it's pain that goes on for years. It's as if a part of their soul has died. If she hasn't worked during the time with her husband, it's usally hard for her to get back into work so she's the one who usually suffers financially. It's the woman who loses all around and pays the price for her husbands poor behavior. Fortunately Maria doesn't have financial worries on top of this horrible situation.