Santana Critical
Of Politicians

Guitar master Carlos Santana has some harsh words for politicians in Arizona and Georgia. Where did he air his grievances?

Carlos Santana blasts Arizona and Georgia governments on immigration

Musician Carlos Santana is known for speaking out more with his guitar rather than his mouth. However, Santana put down his guitar Sunday and spoke out against Arizona and Georgia governments during an Atlanta Braves and Philadelphia Phillies game.

Santana was at the game to accept the Braves' Beacon of Change award during the team's fifth annual Civil Rights Game when he blasted the states for passing anti-immigration laws. Georgia passed an immigration law that allows law enforcement to demand proof of legal immigration from people they suspect are not originally from the United States. Arizona passed a similar law in 2010.

"The people of Arizona, and the people of Atlanta, Georgia, you should be ashamed of yourselves," Santana said. He's not the first celebrity to use their fame to speak out against the Arizona immigration law: Ricky Martin, Shakira and Lady Gaga have all voiced their disapproval. Eva Longoria, Rosario Dawson and Wilmer Valderrama also issued statements blasting the Arizona government.

"This law is not correct. It's a cruel law, actually," the rocker continued after the game. "This is about fear. Stop shucking and jiving. People are afraid we're going to steal your job. No, we aren't. You're not going to change sheets and clean toilets..."

Santana, 63, immigrated to San Francisco from Tijuana, Mexico, in the early 1960s.

"This is the United States. This is the land of the free. If people want the immigration laws to keep passing, then everybody should get out and leave the American Indians here," he continued.

Some are already criticizing Santana, but he said he's speaking out for people who cannot.

"I am here to give voice to the invisible."

Image: WENN

Do you agree -- or disagree -- with Carlos Santana's criticisms?

Tags: arizona carlos santana immigration

Comments

Comments on "Carlos Santana blasts Georgia government... at an Atlanta Braves game"

Confused May 19, 2011 | 6:04 AM

"...anti-immigration laws"? I thought the law was intended to stop "illegal immigration." Mmmm. I guess I misunderstood.

Dill May 17, 2011 | 3:07 PM

How about you just shut up and go eat McDonalds John Caruso

Leah May 17, 2011 | 12:49 PM

My dad is from Mexico, I am the first born American of the family. The eldest grandchild of my Mexican Grandparents. While Santana makes a valid point, there are those who are threatened by the latino's immigration here, he may want to research a bit more before speaking. The threat of terrorists migrating into this country illegally is great indeed. The laws being passed are not oppressive, they are to secure this nation against a very real threat. Terrorists want to kill us. They take great pleasure in blowing us up. Anyone who wants to can look into the borders of this nation and see that we are at risk, and need stricter laws. The laws are for latinos, but not just latinos. There are grave dangers in having insecure borders. Take your eyes off of the racial issue and put it where it belongs.

Art May 17, 2011 | 12:44 PM

Mr. Santana's comments are clearly racist and not founded in justice or common sense. Would it be OK with him if we all just hop the fence instead of paying the $25 - $130 for a ticket to one of his concerts? I suppose it is OK to enforce the performance rights laws and illegal download laws that have made him wealthy, but not the laws that prevent the rest of us American taxpayers from the crushing burden of illegals who do not pay taxes, social security, medicare and illegally consume our educational and healthcare resources. Also, I put myself through college by cleaning toilets so WTF? I will not support Mr. Santana by purchasing or listening to his music ever again. If the radio is playing his song, I will change the channel.

Dave May 17, 2011 | 3:57 AM

Wow, the racist words that I am hearing from people of my own country is extremely disappointing and disgusting from a human rights' point of view. "DEE", your comments should be an outrage to the entire human race, not just people of the United States, and I would think that the majority of people posting on this wall agree with me, so I won't even comment. Whether you think that the law should or should not be enacted, this does not change the fact that these are people who have been put into their situation in different ways, and they need to be looked at as people, not "cockroaches", John Caruso. How embarrassing to be from one of the most "englightened" countries in the world and use hating language like that.

Mari May 16, 2011 | 11:53 PM

You know, Carlos Santana was born in Mexico so of couse he is going do defend his own people. Right on Carlos, I totally agree with you.

heather May 16, 2011 | 8:33 PM

i think its good hes standing for what he thinks and speaking out. freedom of speech. but its only fair to remember that we all share different opinions, thats fair enough. i personally lived in GA-hall county but moved back to VA recently and i had to move back to va b/c so many people like me who are legal lacked jobs. so even though they come here to make $$ for their families like anyone else, its harder for us legals to get jobs. i think if they have to break-in then thats not fair. the same way someone breaks-into a home, they break into our country. fair is fair. laws stand, just the way it is and everyone needs to obey that law. its nothing personal to illegals. just saying.

Lived There May 16, 2011 | 8:14 PM

Not all are Mexican. But I lived and worked in Mexico for 2 years and their illegal not arrested they have been known to shoot crossing their southern border. If you enter second time after being deported it is a long prison time and not like our prisons but true hell holes. His logic about giving country back is lame. They should give back Mexico to the Indian population they treat so poorly in their Mexico. This is a joke a Mexican told me while living in Guadalajara. " Angels we looking and said to God...it's not fair...look at Mexico you have given it everything to be a wonderful and powerful country, much more than the other parts of the world...God said yes, but I am about to create the Mexican" That Mexican engineer said because of the mentality and corruption of the Mexican society it ruined what it could be. I happen to agree, I had good people there but the majority were not. I left California after 35yrs in large part because the Illegal invasion has ruined that state.

Dee May 16, 2011 | 7:05 PM

These rich hispanics, latinos or Spanish speaking people should just shut their mouths. I will bet a dollar that not one of them would invite an illegal alien to his or her home. How dare they tell Americans how we should protect our country? How dare they comment about our laws? Illegal immigrants are illegal. They are criminals. Some of them are racists and criminals. They commit crimes everyday in America. They hurt Americans. They don't even like America. They join hate groups and support racists in America. So, Santanna, Lady Ga Ga and all of the other self serving hipocrites should just shut the hell up!!!!!!!

John Caruso May 16, 2011 | 7:01 PM

Carlos the three chord cockroach noisemaker! 3rd.rate guitarist with a big mouth. You should be made to live with these Mexican garbage bags you love so much! Go Atlanta! Deport all the cockroaches!

John Caruso May 16, 2011 | 6:45 PM

The three chord noisemaker should go back to ty Mexico & take the rest of the trash with him! Good going Atlanta!

Joe Cook May 16, 2011 | 6:44 PM

Saying nobody wants to change sheets and clean toilets is ignorant at best. I clean toliets and I am proud to do it well. If the jobs are so hard to come by in Mexico then take some of your time to help change things THERE and maybe we would not have the problem at all. Stop running down our rights as americans to choose how we run OUR country.

redcross May 16, 2011 | 6:42 PM

India and other countries have taken high paid jobs and here we are fighting over dishwashers and strawberry picker. We actually need them. we should be fighting for getting our jobs back from all those ceos who subcontract our jobs to overseas and pocket big bonuses every year and here we are arguing over peanuts

Liffey May 16, 2011 | 6:41 PM

I wish they would just shut up...I hate when music gets involve with politics....it ruins it for me and I am sooo done with the imigration crap!

John Caruso May 16, 2011 | 6:40 PM

Out off the woodwork comes the three chord noise making cockroach! Does anyone think this wealthy beaner lives anywhere near the garbage that Mexico is flushing into this once great country? Who gives a what this beanbag thinks?

Kaytie May 16, 2011 | 6:28 PM

American is the home of the free, not the freeloaders!

Hugh May 16, 2011 | 6:16 PM

Illegal Aliens are CRIMINALS!!!! They should be rounded up, fined, and then shipped as far south as possible in Mexico. That way they will stop making the trip. Illegals are CRIMINALS!!!! Maybe you should house and feed them Santana.

tnova May 16, 2011 | 6:12 PM

America is home of the free, and it has become quite the melting pot. I am all for immigration laws, because I know people who had to become a U.S. citizen the legal way. My husband and sister-in-law have to apply for green cards, learn to speak and read English, learn about the history of America, and take the Citizenship test to become a U.S. citizen. I don't believe in catering to the Hispanic community for any reason. Many Mexicans from Mexico want everything given to them on a silver platter as if America owes them something. America owes Mexico nothing. These illegals need to get out and do this the legal way if they want to be here. Even my grandfather had to change his name when he was a young boy in school because he had an Italian name, and he didn't come from Italy. Foreigner's need to change their language to English and come here the legal way. Laws changed since people immigrated from Europe and other countries. Abide in the laws illegals!

Joe May 16, 2011 | 6:12 PM

The stupid racists and bigots of America can't face the truth. Your forefathers murdered Native Americans and you think that was OK.

Rendezvouswithyou May 16, 2011 | 5:39 PM

Hey, Carlos Santana from Mexico: Please return to the country from which you ran years ago if you cannot respect our American laws. No one is saying people can't immigrate here, just do it the legal way. That is not asking too much when our country has been invaded with MILLIONS of illegals who don't respect our laws either. Mr. Santana, I have lost respect for you. I was planning to purchase a ticket to see you in Las Vegas, but you can forget it. I have no desire to support you or your career. Good luck!