Boos And Cheers For Tree Of Life

Brad Pitt, star of the freshly premiered film Tree of Life, isn't afraid to admit that the Christian faith he grew up with didn't always agree with him. The actor, who calls religion 'stifling,' received both applause and boos at the premiere of Tree of Life.

Brad Pitt and partner Angelina Jolie, seen here at the Cannes International Film Festival for the premiere of Tree of Life, are no strangers to unconventional ways. So is it any surprise that Brad, the father of three adopted and three biological children, struggles within the confines of one religion?

"I grew up with Christianity," Brad Pitt, who was raised in the Midwest in a family of Southern Baptists, explains. "Some things worked for me and some didn't."

Reflecting on his childhood teachings, Brad shared in a press interview, "I grew up being told that 'God is going to take care of everything and it doesn't always work out that way; and if it doesn't, that's God's will.' I've got my issues."

He continued, "Many people find religion gives them opportunities. I found it very stifling as an individual and a tightness to it that the father character carried with him."

Tree of Life, a film set in the 1950s in which Brad Pitt stars as a strict father raising three boys, received both applause and boos at its recent Cannes premiere. The Wall Street Journal reports, "The impressionist film interweaves the story of the family's growth and personal tragedies with surreal cosmic interludes, complete with extended sequences charting the universe's creation and the earliest forms of life on earth, from jellyfish to dinosaurs."

A turn towards more artsy films is no accident for the actor. "About 10 years ago, I started thinking about my favorite films, and they weren't the big commercial things," Brad said. "They had more depth and they were asking a lot of the big questions."

The big question of this moment is: Will you be going to see Brad Pitt in his latest work, Tree of Life?

Photo via WENN

Tags: tree of life

Comments

Comments on "Brad Pitt: 'I got my issues' with Christianity"

Marlene March 27, 2014 | 6:17 PM

Brad Pitt is right!

Karen May 23, 2011 | 11:20 AM

Bard is so deep. What a simpleton.

zee May 17, 2011 | 4:41 PM

he is still feelin bad abt what he did. the guy has issues. Thank God Jen is doing fine. the evil men do follow them. shior

ObjectiveD May 17, 2011 | 3:18 PM

Does he not like Christianity because it would've made him feel bad about leaving his wife for someone else and getting them pregnant before you're even divorced? If he wants to do what he wants with no guilt than fine, that's his choice. He wants to live in a selfish world where you don't have to feel bad for what you do to others. Christianity is not the problem here.

SHRIMPLOPEZ May 16, 2011 | 2:27 PM

Let's try this again, this time with a valid link: http://bit.ly/lIaRsR

SHRIMPLOPEZ May 16, 2011 | 2:25 PM

In order to prove I can whoop all yer sorry butts, look at my pic, then come down here to challenge me! http://www.tulsaworld/news/article.aspx?subjectid=18&articleid=20100917_18_0_olhmiy156148

SHRIMPLOPEZ May 16, 2011 | 2:15 PM

Wait! Just one more! I can't get enough of myself. I can't believe everyone wants to listen to me... what a wonderful day! Hallelujiah!

SHRIMPLOPEZ May 16, 2011 | 2:13 PM

In fact, why do I continually return to this lame page to post, repeatedly? Perhaps I'm the freak? Perhaps I don't have a life? Perhaps I just have to make hear my own voice, and criticize the stupidity of others? I agree with myself... I am a freak, moron, idiot, silly, silly person without a life. Thanks for listening!

SHRIMPLOPEZ May 16, 2011 | 2:10 PM

Wait, why did I click on the link? I guess I'm as big a moron as the rest. Wait, probably bigger because I believe everything I read. Ha ha ha ha, I suck!

shrimplopez May 16, 2011 | 1:37 PM

Why would you click on the article if you "don't care" so much? Freaks...

Sargam May 16, 2011 | 1:05 PM

I've heard it's a good flick. The Euros boo'ed b/c they remain vehemently secular. W/ the steady slide to the religious right over the last couple of decades in America, religion has become the biggest culture gap across the Atlantic. Shocking to both sides.

Maurice May 16, 2011 | 12:52 PM

I agree with Brad Pitt on this one. Religion has done more damage than good...with man running the show. Its as flawed as the humans who promote it....some good, some bad. And if you're not a good christian....you're bad. Somewhat of a turn off. You don't have to be religious to be a good person. Care and kindsness for others pretty much says it all. So many hypocrites in the world.

Maurice May 16, 2011 | 12:51 PM

stuart May 16, 2011 | 12:45 PM

Rotulu ontlexhim.

Angelina Jolie May 16, 2011 | 12:43 PM

Oh Brad, you are such are a card. You know you go to church each week. Stop kidding around, turn off the light, and come back to bed.

Jimmyb May 16, 2011 | 12:39 PM

I agree. Nobody cares.

Fred Costa May 16, 2011 | 12:34 PM

Who cares what he thinks?