Madonna And Lady Gaga Are Cousins

Lady Gaga has been accused of stealing her style and music from Madonna, but maybe that's because they're related. You heard that right. The Material Girl and the Fame Monster are cousins.

Lady Gaga

According to a "celebrity genealogist," Madonna and Lady Gaga are distant cousins. How distant? They're ninth cousins once removed.

Finally, all those rumors about Lady Gaga borrowing Madonna's look or making music that sounds like Madonna's make sense. Their shared sensibility runs in the family.

Genealogist-to-the-stars Chris Child studied documents at the New England Historical Genealogical Society to uncover this strange celebrity relation.

Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone and Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta share a bloodline that can be traced back to a "French immigrant farming couple who came to Quebec in the 1600s."

The next time someone accuses Lady Gaga of ripping off Madonna's Express Yourself in Born This Way, she can just shout, "Well, duh, she's my cousin! Of course we're going to sound alike."

Child has a history of tracking down interesting relations. Apparently, all roads lead back to Madge. Remember how director Guy Ritchie attended the royal wedding? As it turns out, Kate Middleton is a fourth cousin to the filmmaker who used to be married to Madonna.

He's found other odd celebrity connections: Middleton is related to Ellen DeGeneres, Amy Poehler is related to Dick Cheney, and Hillary Clinton is related to Angelina Jolie.

It's unlikely news of their familial connection will bring Madonna and Lady Gaga together. Previously, Lady Gaga referred to the idea that she had borrowed from Madonna as "retarded."

Are you related to anyone famous?

Comments

Comments on "Lady Gaga and Madonna are related"

Francesca Thomas December 26, 2012 | 8:05 PM

While I personally am not related to Madonna, my spouse and my son both are. My Spouse is a 7th cousin (3 times removed) with Madonna. My spouses connection with Madonna is through Charles Thomas Fortin and Marie Sainte Cloutier (she was a granddaughter of Zacharie Cloutier and Xainte Dupont - and most people descended from them are 9th or 10th cousins with Madonna). It would be more helpful if this article had mention what relationship LAdy Gaga has with MAdonna (Although if they are connected as gar back as the Cloutiers then its probably just at the 10th or 11th cousin level) and who their common ancestors were.

Sally J. June 10, 2012 | 6:54 PM

It's true..Gaga is a cheater .. But i knew lady gaga before knowing Madonna .. As I am a young youth .. And I loved born this way 2 much .. And I believed that lady Gaga is such a creative one and she's amazing cuz she sang a wonderful song like this .. But when I listen 2 express ur self I found that Gaga is such a fool and Cheater .. Btw Gaga was my queen of pop , that's cuz I was a young one and my mind was in Gaga's bank .. But now my queen is Madonna .. Luv yew Madonna

Aaron May 21, 2011 | 10:00 AM

No one is saying who this immigrant farming couple is!! I do a bit of genealogy myself and have found that Madonna is my 8th cousin twice removed through Jean and Marie Cloutier from the mid 1600's. Would be nice to know if I have a Lady Gaga connection too.

Catherine May 17, 2011 | 12:36 PM

Yes Gaga borrowed from Madonna. Gaga is a liar.

Edward May 17, 2011 | 12:35 PM

ridicule !

Joanne May 17, 2011 | 12:33 PM

I have never heard something that is so silly; i am a relative as well since my grand parents came on the same ships to Quebec ! silly and cheap article.

Trisha May 17, 2011 | 12:22 PM

I have never heard anything so absurd in my life as this article. I mean most of the people who came to the americas came on the same ships ! stupid ! article

shawn locklear May 17, 2011 | 6:34 AM

That is so ing cool that they are related.I followed Madonna music from day one and someome to take her place is my second favorite singer Lady Gaga.I would love to meet both. I love everything that Lady Gaga is doing. I am like both of them. I like to be different, too. Love Peace & Happiness to both of you. LOVE, Shawn PS.Lady Gaga, please come to wilmington,nc and perform for us