5 Years Later: Frey And Oprah Meet!

Five years after James Frey set off one of the biggest controversies in The Oprah Winfrey Show history, the author of A Million Little Pieces has returned to talk with Oprah in a no-holds-barred interview. What did he have to say five years later? Read on to find out.

In 2005, Oprah Winfrey chose James Frey's book, A Million Little Pieces, for her book club. When the Smoking Gun website revealed some details in his book weren't true, Winfrey went to bat for him. Unfortunately, she was wrong.

James Frey and Oprah Winfrey

In January of 2006, Frey appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show and admitted he had not been truthful in the book. Winfrey's response was, "I feel duped. But more importantly, I feel that you betrayed millions of readers."

Five years later, in an interview set against the backdrop of New York, James Frey has returned to The Oprah Winfrey Show.

Frey revealed to Winfrey that he hasn't seen much of his 2006 appearance on the show. "I think of it as a personal car crash for me. And I just don't want to watch it." He added, "It definitely wasn't my finest day."

When asked about what he was feeling after he was confronted by Winfrey on the 2006 show, Frey said, "I was feeling shock and definitely stunned. I just wanted to get home."

James Frey said that when he decided to appear on The Oprah Winfrey Show in 2006, he didn't know it was going to happen like that. He thought he was going to have a chance to tell his side, but he realized, "I created that mess. I created that situation."

When asked if he ever cried over the controversy surrounding A Million Little Pieces, he admitted, "No, I've never shed a tear about it." He said there was "anger, confusion and embarrassment" and that "it was a moment to moment thing."

Winfrey asked if he thought she had been too hard on him and Frey answered, "I thought I got ambushed, absolutely. In a lot of ways, I didn't think it even mattered. In some ways, I deserved it."

According to Frey, the book never started out as a memoir, instead it was thought of as a novel and it just spiraled to a point where he got swept up in it. In regards to doing it all over again, he said, "I would have been honest in the promotion of it from day one. If I could do it over, that's what I would do."

What did you think of James Frey's appearance on The Oprah Winfrey Show five years later?

Tags: james frey

Comments

Comments on "A Million Little Pieces: James Frey hits The Oprah Winfrey Show"

Ivor Barry February 16, 2014 | 1:06 PM

It's amazing to see how those who grew up watching "reality tv" have no problem with a work of fiction being spun as a memoir. If it was such a great work of fiction why did he have to sell it as a memoir? Why did he have to LIE? Yes, when we are willing to accept lies as the truth, we are willing to accept anything. I have a book you should all read. It's called 1984. But it's not really about 1984 at all. It's really about your future!

teenage reader October 10, 2012 | 5:25 AM

I absolutely loved the book and was shocked when a teacher told me of the controversy, but it didn't change how i felt about the book. True or not it still gave people hope and that's all that really matters.

Susy9313 November 08, 2011 | 7:19 PM

I feel as though the book was amazing whether it be true or not. Books are meant to be an escape for the reader anyway... Right? Where did it ever claim it was an autobiography in the book anyway. It was beautifully written and it took me to a mysterious place I had never been before... In the heart, mind and soul of an addict, all without judgement or prejudice. Keep on writing Frey, you've got a talent for writing for sure! There's a reason Oprahs not on tv anymore, we're all tired of her.

Alicia May 18, 2011 | 11:50 AM

I'm like Mr Frey. I can't watch that interview either. It's heartbreaking the way he was treated and I still haven't gotten over that outright disrepectful display of that interview (and I use the term lightly). It's not like we as Americans haven't been lied to before but he received harsher treatment than pedophiles that appeared on the show. It was sickening to watch then and it still sickens me today. I hope that in my lifetime I never treat anyone the way he was treated that day. Her apology doesn't appear heartfelt either because she clearly states that she does not apologize for what she said but how she said it. If you check her expression/body language when she made that comment you'll see that she still holds some animosity toward him. SICKENING!!!

RoseA May 17, 2011 | 9:59 AM

Theodora & Callum get inside the head of American writer, James Frey to learn about his life and likes: http://www.theodoraandcallum/blog/cat/creative-factory/post/my-faves-james-frey/

jolieblon May 16, 2011 | 11:04 PM

I totally agree. A very well written and interesting book. I also totally loved "Bright Shining Morning". I've reread it many times and thank you James. Has it been 6 years that I don't want any affiliation with Oprah? had enough of her for sure! James I wish you and your family the best. A lot of money means nothing. absolutely nothing. You have got to have a heart.

jm2jmm May 16, 2011 | 3:56 PM

I still do not understand why this blew OW's skirt up so much and why she is so righteously indignant about it- taking no prisoners. I wince watching her behavior. It was a really wonderfully written book, no matter if OW took JF to task or not. I don't get it,