Most Of All:
Stay Alive

CNN Newsroom anchor Don Lemon has chosen May 16 as the day to reveal his long-kept secret to the world. Tired of living in fear of being mocked and ostracized, the 45-year-old has revealed that he is gay in hopes of reaching out to other people struggling to come out about their sexuality.

Don Lemon

Early Monday morning Don Lemon issued a personally written statement to the media, announcing that he is gay. The CNN news anchor told the New York Times, "I think if I had seen more people like me who are out and proud, it wouldn't have taken me 45 years to say it, to walk in the truth."

Coming out was made even more difficult for Don Lemon, who explains, "It's quite different for an African-American male. It's about the worst thing you can be in black culture. You're taught you have to be a man; you have to be masculine. In the black community they think you can pray the gay away."

"You're afraid that black women will say the same things they do about how black men should be dating black women," Don went on. "I guess this makes me a double minority now."

"I think it would be great if everybody could be out," Don said. "But it's such a personal choice. People have to do it at their own speed. I respect that."

The following is the full statement from Don Lemon:

"Today I chose to step out on faith and begin openly living my own truth. And let me say right up front that I hope many of you will be inspired to do the same thing in your daily lives. Some of the things I've chosen to reveal in my book Transparent were very difficult to share with even those closest to me.

There was a time when I was terrified of revealing these things to the person I love most in this world -- my own mother. But when I finally mustered the courage to tell her that I had been molested as a child and that I was born gay, my life began to change in positive ways that I never imagined possible. Yet I still chose to keep those secrets hidden from the world. I, like most gay people, lived a life of fear. Fear that if some employers, co-workers, friends, neighbors and family members learned of my sexuality, I would be shunned, mocked and ostracized. It is a burden that millions of people carry with them every single day. And sadly, while the mockery and ostracizing are realized by millions of people every day, I truly believe it doesn't have to happen and that's why I feel compelled to share what I've written in Transparent.

As a journalist I believe that part of my mission is to shed light onto dark places. So, the disclosure of this information does not inhibit in any way my ability to be the professional, fair and objective journalist I have always been.

My book is dedicated to the memory of Rutgers University student Tyler Clementi, who jumped to his death from a bridge after his dorm mates streamed his private business over the Internet for the world to see. Tyler might still be with us today if more gay men and women had chosen to live proudly and openly. It is also dedicated to the millions of young, gay people who believe they are alone when dealing with their own sexual identities. You are not alone! There are people, like me and many others, who are thriving in their personal and professional lives and although we sometimes have a hard time with it ourselves, we are here to show you by example that you too can overcome any obstacle as long as you stay strong and, most of all, stay alive."

With love and honesty,

Don Lemon
May 16, 2011

Comments

Comments on "CNN's Don Lemon proclaims -- I was born gay"

mgmusic20@gmail.com June 16, 2012 | 3:27 PM

Seem like it's after yrs.they want to sell a book,they reveal they were abused as child.Is it a fact before they come out to write about it.Lemon is arrogant,i change the channel.

Graham November 22, 2011 | 2:58 PM

To all you Jesus freaks talking about homouality being a choice (btw, can you tell me when you chose to be straight?), keep praying to that God you say is full of love (except for the s) but have absolutely no proof of his existence. Basing your life on a theory instead of enjoying the reality — how sad and pathetic.

Lady Aizen August 05, 2011 | 3:26 PM

ARNI- I have news for you: YOU. DO. NOT. CHOOSE. YOUR. UAL. ORIENTATION. Understand? There are seven BILLION people on this planet. If we keep producing babies at the rate we are now, crops will become more and more scarce. Homouality is perfectly natural, the reason it exists in the animal kingdom is to keep the population from over populating. Also, old people and the infertle can't have babies either. Should we start killing women once they hit menopause?

Smoke August 05, 2011 | 10:38 AM

To all the people who are outraged in the name of the Christian God, please remember this: Your God Yahweh is perfect, omnipotent, omniscient, and eternally cognizent. What that means is that he is all powerful, there is nothing he can't do, and he cannot make mistakes in anything he does. He is all knowing, and he knows not only what IS, but everything that has been and will be, from the beginning to the end of time. Therefore everything in the universe he created is exactly as he wanted it. There was nothing he was not aware of when he created the universe, and since he cannot make mistakes or fail to foresee events, that he must have planned. Including the fall of man, mass extinctions, famines, horrible diseases, birth defects, war, rape, child abuse, and bigotry. Blame Satan? But God must have known exactly what Satan would do, from the beginning to the end of time even before he was created. Satan was designed just like the rest of Creation. See? That's the big thing, if God exists, he created us knowing we would fall, he knew the apple thing would happen, he knew he'd have wickedness and that he'd need to flood the world... he designed it all purposefully and in full knowledge. If he is perfect, all knowing, and all powerful, there would never be any surprises, mistakes, or unforeseen course changes in the unraveling of our existence. Either that, or your God, as you imagine him, does not exist.

Baldheaded Foo May 18, 2011 | 7:17 PM

uh, like we didn't already know this, but ok thanks for confirming. Click!

Dev May 18, 2011 | 3:51 PM

To those invoking a belief in their specific brand of God or Christianity against this man and who say that being is a choice: Religion IS a choice -- and a very conscious one.

Veteran CSM May 17, 2011 | 10:28 AM

May God Bless you. I think my problem with this is why now? Is it a coincidence that your announcement came at the time your book is being released? You had the platform to announce your preference (CNN News) and reach many who are afraid to come out just as you were. I believe that CNN would have afforded you the opportunity to make the announcement. Again, May God continue to bless you and may this announcement cause you to continue to be true to yourself and have a deeper relationship with God. Do not be concerned about what people say or think, not even my post; we are not the creator of man. So be concerned with what God says (Holy Bible).

nancy May 17, 2011 | 6:11 AM

Mr.Lemon.. I will not judge you coz as a man you think you have your struggles....u have your fears and doubts but i will say one thing You were never born ,no way..its like saying one was born a thief,rapist,killer these are vices that accrue our minds and confuse us.If you look at your past you will realize where the issue is and how this ness started.I want to tell you that God loves you so very much even with this new bravery you have acquired of coming clean but he will never love your act of being ..no ways Don he condemns it in the most equivocal terms that any one who embraces it will face his wrath if they don't repent i tell you. I urge you to please seek God's voice on what really went wrong and what you sh'd do to beat these desires creeping into you. Remember Jesus is not mad at you no ways he is just waiting for you to say i want to be set free..coz you living in bondage...and only he can set you free.Just call on to him and you will have such a great testimony Amen

MMoore May 17, 2011 | 5:17 AM

We are at a place in society where we glorify those things that could prove to be harmful. is not a right. It's an affliction. To passively approach the issue is sending the wrong message to people who may idolize you and your work. Why send some young person into a path that will make life a tragedy. It's like telling a 300 pound women not to worry, that she looks as good as anyone else. The truth is more valuable coming from you. Tell them the truth.

juttaa77 May 16, 2011 | 9:51 PM

Deep inside, you know that you are spreading a lie to appease the devil's wishes. Only the devil would make you think something that disgusting. You will only receive God's forgiveness, if you are really sorry and you change your way. God would never allow anyone to be born . So, drop the lame excuses. Man up to your mistakes and seek God's forgiveness. Then and only then, will you be happy and free.

dthutc May 16, 2011 | 8:51 PM

Love you Don. You do you. I am scared for you because after CNN, the only place for you is freelance and Oprah. I think you have a very important voice that may no longer be heard after you leave CNN.

Dee May 16, 2011 | 7:18 PM

You were not born , Don. The divine one would not do that. Your mother or your daddy messed you up and you were not man enough to rise above the damage they did to you. So wipe that stupid smile off of your pitiful face. It's your fault you are . I hope CNN fires you. Why didn't you just keep your lips shut?

Aaron May 16, 2011 | 1:56 PM

Arni: I have news for you: how old were you when you decided to be straight? Seems you chose that to be the way you would live your life NOT. You did not choose to be straight any more than Lemon chose to be -for him and every other I know, the physical/emotional same gender attraction happened when they(we) were 4 or 5 years old. I didn't choose this attraction-Lemon didn't choose it, just as YOU did not CHOOSE to be straight. Kudos to Lemon for his openness. His admission will save the lives of many kids.

TruthHurtZ May 16, 2011 | 12:52 PM

Those saying that it is a choice are wrong. Who would want to be ostracized and in such a minority by choice??..nobody. Monogamy on the other hand is a choice, and actually against our nature, so the 'sacred' institution of marriage is against nature. Suck on that!

Golgavar May 16, 2011 | 11:22 AM

Oh boo hoo Arni! Good thing everyone is not . And guess what, if everyone used condoms all the time than humanity would die out too. Lets ban condoms! Newsflash- The human population isn't having any trouble with depopulation. In fact, we're overpopulated. And if being or is "a form of racism", then straight people are a different race. Are you saying I could choose my race? Sweet! Im going to be Chinese tomorrow! Yea boi And Im confused, you're saying I can regulate my body hormones? I don't think that's how it works... Please respond back ASAP. I can't wait to hear from you!!! Hugs and kisses, Golgavar

Golgavar May 16, 2011 | 11:22 AM

Bill May 16, 2011 | 11:19 AM

Arni, you are an a-hole. I suspect you already feel that way about yourself, as well, since you felt the need to take the time to publicly degrade your fellow human beings. Stay classy, Arni. ALWAYS do stay classy!

Spurious May 16, 2011 | 11:17 AM

Nice job Arni...we need more open minded people like you to educate the masses. Kudos!

Detroit May 16, 2011 | 11:11 AM

Tell us something we didn't already know!

Arni May 16, 2011 | 10:47 AM

I have news for you people, you are not born , it's a choice. You may have more or less of certain hormones you have too much testosterone or estrogen and it becomes a choice you make and who knows from what EVER happened in your life. If everybody was or the human race would cease to exist in 77 years the average life span of humans. Being or is a form racism, you choose to be that way because you do not like being straight.