ABC Announces
Cancellations

It turned out to be Friday the 13th indeed, as ABC announced it was canceling a number of dramas from its lineup, including Brothers and Sisters, V, Off the Map and more.

Brothers and Sisters was just one of the shows on the chopping block as ABC announced which shows would be returning next season.

Brothers and Sisters

The hour-long drama, which starred Sally Field as the matriarch of the Walker family, had been on the air since 2006, and many, including the actors, felt like it was time to go. They aired their finale last week.

Actor Matthew Rhys told EW that the show has "run a lot of extreme stories and big stories, so I personally wouldn't want to be a writer if I had to stretch it another season."

Off the Map, No Ordinary Family and Detroit 1-8-7 were all new dramas that didn't pull in the ratings needed to make the cut.

The rebooted series V, about aliens invading Earth, did not capture the same audience it did the first time around and was sent back to space.

Matthew Perry may have known about his show's fate when he announced on Thursday he was going to rehab to focus on his sobriety. His new sitcom, Mr. Sunshine, just got rained on as ABC announced this show would also not be renewed.

Tell us: Are you surprised that ABC canceled the shows listed above?

Tags: brothers and sisters no ordinary family off the map

Comments

Comments on "Brothers and Sisters, V, Off the Map canceled!"

Samantha Zizi February 15, 2012 | 3:46 PM

HEY I WANT MY OFF THE MAP SHOW BACK!! Everyone should fight for it, like they fought for the show THE GAME.

Megan September 04, 2011 | 8:16 PM

I am truly saddened with the news that Off the Map has been canceled. I looked forward to that show every week. I even DVRed so I could watch it over with friends. Everyone I turned on to the show loved it. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE...bring this show back. It was one of the only shows that I was looking forward to seeing this season.

Amanda July 31, 2011 | 8:26 PM

I dont understand why networks are keeping reality shows such as Survivor, America's Next Top Model, Amazing Race, American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, Bachelor and so many more that have been on for years. However, they are taking off good quality shows with great story lines such as Off the Map and Brothers & Sisters. God forbid you have to write an original idea instead of showing the drama of trips around the world, modeling, dating mutiple women who are all fighting over a man and living under one roof! This is like typical America these days; take the easy way out!

Kimberly Oswald June 23, 2011 | 12:36 PM

this is so sad. Our family always looks forward to Off the Map. Its our one night of popcorn for a show that ALL of us watch from age 12-42. We are truly sad to see this show go. Hopefully ABC will reconsider.

heather June 08, 2011 | 10:13 PM

ABC has to be f%#@in stupid to cancel Off the Map and brothers and sisters was just gettin good...people will just stop watching abc and that will be that!

dr May 23, 2011 | 10:50 AM

I really liked off the mapp and i am really upset that it was cancelled!! what a shame.

wmc May 20, 2011 | 4:03 PM

ABC-I'm so disappointed. I'm a 60 year old professional woman and I LOVE Brothers & Sisters, as well as Off the Map. They were two of my top favorite shows. I'm so tired of reality TV and game shows. I want good drama. Brother & Sisters was the best family drama show on TV. I hope some cable channel picks these up. wmc

LM M May 20, 2011 | 12:11 PM

Once again....we put our faith in quality programing from ABC and watch their shows just to have 90% of new entertainment cancelled. We watch your network because we are fed up with low quality reality tv. V, no ordinary family, off the map and others were a refreshing change and deserved a chance to get their audience. some older shows have run their course and some of these were contenders, what a shame. How do we put faith in your programing again when this happens year after year....................LMM

Angela May 20, 2011 | 6:55 AM

Please bring back Off the Map. That show was original, strong story lines, educational, exceptional acting, beautiful scenery and something to look forward to watching every week. I realy thought ABC had something special and original... please reconsider, and bring it back. Thank you.

Nicki May 19, 2011 | 9:51 PM

I echo what everyone else here is saying. Please bring back "Off the Map" It was an excellent show that like so many other times before got us all hooked just to pull the plug with no explanation mid season. Please bring it back!

BT May 19, 2011 | 9:04 PM

I am so disappointed that Off the Map was cancelled. This was one of the few quality television shows on that had an amazing cast, great story lines and was true entertainment. Cancelling this show will be a true loss to prime time. I wish that there was a season finale to wrap everything up. I'll really miss this show.

Ken May 19, 2011 | 7:02 PM

I would prefer they cancel Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice (both of which ran their course years ago) then Off The Map. Television is dominated but dumb "reality" shows, and idiotic competitive shows like "idol" or "dancing". But that's ok ABC. You'll keep us entertained with shows like Wipeout. Through with ABC.

jerry May 19, 2011 | 4:39 PM

abc cancel off the map they are off their mind

Lori777 May 19, 2011 | 3:34 PM

I really love the show Off the Map, please bring it back. I am tired of getting into a show, and then it gets cancelled. Does the network ever ask the public., or do a survey about these new shows. I would like to know how they determine the ratings. I would rate the show A+.

krist May 19, 2011 | 10:09 AM

I too am Shocked by the cancellation of "Off the Map" I loved this show and have been missing watching it over the past couple of weeks. Please reconsider and bring it back!!!!!!!!

Kathy. A May 19, 2011 | 8:05 AM

Off the map was a great show...I watched every episode, bought every episode on amazon and now I'm totally disappointed in you ABC. I also liked better with you. But you canceled both of the shows that I watched on ABC, so I guess I won't be watching your network at all. IF you don't bring back off the map, I am done. MAN,how stupid these cancellations are. What people like is not good enough for the network.

Melissa May 19, 2011 | 7:43 AM

I can't believe that you have cancelled two of my favorite shows! I LOVE Off the Map and Brothers and Sisters! Ugh!!! Everytime I find a new show that I love, it gets cancelled! I could live without Brothers and Sisters because it has pretty much run it's course, but OFF THE MAP didn't even get a chance!!! It was a great show that I could actually watch with my little girl in the room....I am VERY UPSET! Those shows were pretty much the only ones I watch on ABC. Guess I will have to watch other networks all the time now! BOO and shame on you ABC!

Carol May 18, 2011 | 11:13 PM

Please reconsider keeping Off The Map and Brothers and Sisters!! I too will have to reconsider starting to watch any new shows!

Diana May 18, 2011 | 11:12 PM

How can ABC cancel Off the map!!!!!! It was my favorite show!!! I watched every single episode and couldn't wait for the following week to watch the next. ABC should reconsider this decision. It's very upsetting.

Kelsey May 18, 2011 | 9:47 PM

Truly a stupid move on ABC's part. They are going to lose so many viewers just because the cancel EVERY show right after a viewer becomes interested. Soon No-one will watch any of ABC's new shows because it is pointless to get into a show just to see it cancelled. Off the Map was one of the best shows on television, and i really hope they reconsider. I am so disappointed.