Marriage To
Swizz Is Magic

Alicia Keys is fed up with being called a homewrecker. The songstress would like everyone to know once and for all that Swizz Beatz was single when they hooked up. Wonder if Swizz's ex-wife would say the same?

Alicia Keys, now married to Swizz Beatz and the mother of their son Egypt, is trying to move on from the homewrecker image she believes has been unfairly cast upon her. Professing her innocence, Alicia Keys tells Essence magazine, "We didn't start seeing each other until months after they had separated."

Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz

The media hoopla exploded when Mashonda Tifrere, ex-wife of Swizz and mother of their son, wrote an open letter to the press saying Alicia had "assisted in destroying a family." Mashonda and Swizz's divorce was finalized in May 2010. Less than a month later, he and Alicia announced their engagement.

"I was aware of all the false things that were being said about me, it definitely hurt," says 30-year-old Alicia, who remained mum during the height of the drama. "I was sure that if I engaged it would become back-and-forth like some sick entertainment, which goes against everything I believe and would have made things worse."

Amazingly, Alicia now says that she, Mashonda and Swizz (who also has another child conceived during his marriage to Mashonda -- you can see why she was mad, right?!) have turned the corner and are able to be friendly. Mashonda recently posted thanks for her "beautiful blended family."

Alicia says her husband is "very present in his children's lives." She continues, "I wouldn't be able to love him any other way. We are doing what is best for the children."

Life is looking up for the Grammy winner, who describes her love for Swizz as "a whole other level of magic." She shares, "I was very closed for a long time. But I feel so open now. To feel open like this means you've found the center in yourself. You're not hiding; you're not worried about anything."

Hoping her homewrecker image is now firmly put in the past, Alicia Keys predicts, "Everything's going to be just fine."

Photo via WENN

Comments

Comments on "Alicia Keys pleads innocent to homewrecker stigma"

dems September 07, 2012 | 12:05 PM

Fact- he was still legally married..NOT legally divorced Fact-he had just impregnated another woman having his baby( which is what probably caused the separation or divorce) which is what Moshanda was trying to fix..their marriage she DIDNT want a divorce. Fact-one month later after divorce he and miss keys engaged meaning they were involved during the time he had another baby out of wedlock while married to Moshanda then impregnated his fiance also during he was still technically married. fact-hes a scumbag fact-shes a homewrecker fact-they deserve eachother fact-he will cheat on her...DUH fact-this is a waste of my time fact- i have always hated her personally and i only like one song ever the rest is not my taste..many people on this earth have great voices and are talented muscicians, she is not a prodigy..she just slept with the right people and clawed her way to fame as did so many people we know by name...as people i have little respect for any of them..as poppy distracting music in the background...eh take it or leave it tomorrow a new one will be born. Its a lack of self esteem these people look for constant validation and are narcassistic..they only matter no one else.

Nu Haven September 14, 2011 | 9:42 AM

I find it simply amazing fans or not that you can get on this blog and defend Alicia Keys. I strongly believe no matter what the situation was or is....Alicia Keys was so wrong in so many ways. I for one would have never established a relationship with a MARRIED man SEPERATED or not. I deserve so much more and so does the other woman. I strongly believe they were trying to work there relationship out why on earth would they seperate instead of getting a divorce..mind u celebrities change husband and wives like underwear. so that ssays to me you were seperated and it show me they were both willing at one time or another to work out there indifferences in all hopes to reconcile...A strong woman would of stepped back and allowed them to go thru what they needed to do and if it resulted in divorce, at least 6 months would have had to pass in order for me to contemplate building a relationship. Alicia keys said it best "what comes around goes aroung" KARMA..shame on you Alicia...for shame

Anita May 18, 2011 | 11:58 PM

Candy, you don't know anything about me. Just proves you'll say anything about anybody, without even having a clue.

CANDY May 18, 2011 | 2:01 PM

ANITA- you need to feel sorry for Alicia. She's the one who's gonna be on the short end when she gets her just due KARMA. I feel sorry for any woman that has her husband around YOU. We all know your "role model" and the taught you very well.

Shell May 18, 2011 | 7:30 AM

I feel sorry for anyone that likes to go back and forth arguing with people trying to get their point across. @scott you're actually right, men are only going to mess with women if its aloud. You're a big dogg!

Anita May 17, 2011 | 11:38 PM

@CANDY I feel sorry for you. You must be pretty unhappy to be so negative towards others.

the hell witcha May 17, 2011 | 10:53 PM

That AK is lying. A reserved spot in HELL!

Ivyleaf May 17, 2011 | 11:58 AM

I read the full article in essence magazine, and I don't buy Keys story one bit. But @Scott you are awful, and give men such a terrible name. To honor a man's cheating ways is so absurd.

Scott May 17, 2011 | 9:41 AM

As a Man, all hands down to swizzy. Homeboy has mastered the art of cheating. He and I both are CHEATERS at heart. As long as women like the ones on here love the excitement of ing a married man, then guys like swizz and I are going to have a variety of yall to mess with. Swizz will a woman, then go home and Alicia. I love it.

Candy May 17, 2011 | 9:01 AM

Three words for Alicia Keys: , Liar, Homewrecker. Anita probably messing with someeone husband, and that's why alicia is a "Rolemodel to her.

Anita May 17, 2011 | 7:59 AM

N/A If you're tired of hearing about it, get off the site. No one is twisting your arm or guiding your computer here to make you visit these sites, so you must not be too tired of it.

N/A May 16, 2011 | 9:00 PM

Anita- everyone is entitled to their OWN opinion. You feel as though Alicia is a role model, and others don't seem to think so. So what if people tell the same story. Why do women get so caught up in moments like this? You challenging anyone on this blog isn't going to get anyone to back down off of their comments. I'm personally sick of hearing people debate about an issue that only WE are keeping it alive. Swizz, Mashonda, or Alicia don't don't pay any of our bills, take care of our households. So, WTH are all of these damm emotional moments for?

Anita May 16, 2011 | 7:27 PM

@Jane I fnid it amazing that some people seem to find it necessary to comment about what they THINK they know. I've seen so many comments with presumed facts that I even know are wrong, but yet they just keep getting told over and over. For the very righteous, yet also judgemental people, who think they know everything about Alicia and choose to voice their negative and hurtful commens, yet who still proclaim to adore her-I would like to say, you are definitely contradicting yourself. When you care about someone you shouldn't public attack them. I mean to call an innocent, beautiful baby a child. I don't see any love in that statement. Then to insinuate that Alicia is not good enough to be on the cover of this magazine because of her family. What kind of love is that? Then to suggest that Alicia is not a good role model, sorry but this does not equal adore. As far as I'm concerned, I think Alicia is a very beautiful, caring, kind, intelligent, strong, ...etc. person who has very good morals. She wouldn't be where she is today without those qualities. I don't believe there could be a better role model. She has inspired so many people and continues to inspire. I think everyone knows there is no perfect human being, and for anyone who has ever looked up to this woman, I think they can see although she may not be perfect, she has always carried herself with class and handled every situation in the best way possible. What more could you ask of a role model? I personally believe morals are learned in the home and we shouldn't expect other people to be held responsible if for some reason they aren't perfect human beings all the time. My hope is that Alicia doesn't take any of these negative comments to heart. I hope she continues to grow and inspire others as she always has. Much love to her and her family, especially that little one. :-) BTW, I'm sure Essence is honored to have Alicia on the cover. She looks great.

JU May 16, 2011 | 3:35 PM

I'm not intrested in Alicia's new album, her performance or her. Just because they are allegations doesn't make them silly. In my opinion, anything about Alicia isn't worth discussing.

SB May 16, 2011 | 12:57 PM

I care more about how Alicia sings than these silly allegations that none of us would ever know were true or not. She has a new anniversary album coming out called Song In A Minor June 28! It features live versions of songs and bonus materials, and if you preorder on itunes you enter to win a trip to NYC to see her perform! Now that's something worth talking about :)

Donchano May 15, 2011 | 7:31 PM

Ok, so Alicia has addressed this like so many people thought she should. Many said she wasn't saying anything because she was guilty.??? Now that she has said something and denied the rumors, many still say she is still guilty. She didn't say what you wanted to hear? Guess there is no winning this one for her. I belive her. She said she wasn't a homewrecker and I have no reason not to believe her. Wouldn't matter if she'd never said anything, I'd still feel the same about her because her personal life is really not my concern and I'm not condemning her for her choices. Love Ms Keys. Looking forward to the new albums. I think she is one terrific lady.

Mama May 15, 2011 | 6:21 PM

If Karma is as bad as I've heard, then Alicia gonna get bit right in the ass. Once a cheater always a cheater!

Queen Bee May 15, 2011 | 5:48 PM

We are all entitled to our opinions, but listening to some of the females that have been comenting on this matter, you are probably messing with someone's MAN. So to you, Alicia is an Angel.

Jane May 15, 2011 | 4:00 PM

I find it interesting that the media ignores Alicia Keys fallacies but continues to bash Fantasia and LeAnn Rhymes's deplorable affairs. In my eyes I think Alicia Keys humanitarian effort is very commendable and self-less but she is also a role model who many young girls look up to, so I believe her actions have heavier consequences. Not to mention that she has done tremendous humanitarian work for "Keep A Child Alive" for HIV/AIDS advocacy but clearly had unprotected intercourse with a married man and conceived a child. And he also had to DNA test the child of a London-based producer showing that he has unprotected with other women. Very irresponsible. The only victim here is Mashonda who must find a way to somehow co-parent with her former-husband's homewrecking jump-off. We all make mistakes but we are not all platinum superstars who advocate for sisterhood and safe . I adore Alicia Keys but I do not think she made a good choice and Mashonda & her kids deserve better. Now that Alicia and Swizz affair has evolved into a marriage and blended family, Ms. Keys probably wishes she would've waited and been more concious of Mashonda's standing. Ms. Keys can't say for sure what was going on with Swizz and HIS wife & THEIR family and clearly Swizz is cheater so I am sure some lies were involved. ALL REAL WOMEN understand the importance respecting one another for the benefit of your children in order to raise them in a healthy environment.

Sonya May 15, 2011 | 10:14 AM

DAWN, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Twitter at all. But, Mashonda on the other hand.????? And no, sorry, I must not follow Mashonda on Twitter. I know her and the other mistress are really good friends. Why is the question. Like I said before--accpet, for the kids, yes. Overly friendly because you like the woman and feel pity for her, stupid.