AI: Top 3 Missing James Durbin!

Everything was on the line this week as Lauren Alaina, Scotty McCreery, Haley Reinhart and James Durbin battled it out for a spot in the coveted American Idol top three. Unfortunately, it was the end of the road for the one many thought would win -- James Durbin!

James Durbin on American Idol

Seventy-two million votes came in, making this year's American Idoltop four the most voted for in the show's history! Despite the overwhelming amount of viewer votes, the contestants managed to keep it cool during the results show chock full of music's biggest stars including Lady Gaga, Enrique Iglesias and Jordin Sparks.

We have a few side notes before we get into the results. First, Enrique Iglesias' medley of Dirty Dancer and I Like It was summer fun at its finest! It made us want to join in on the beach ball crowd surfing!

Okay, we have to say it: We knew Jordin Sparks was getting her workout on, but darn, the girl looked crazy good during her performance of I Am Woman!

Anyway, onto the results. The pride of Rossville, Georgia, Lauren Alaina, was the first contestant to make it through to the top three, securing herself a hometown hero trip to see family friends and, of course, her fans.

The next lucky contestant boarding a private jet to a homecoming fit for an Idol was Haley Reinhart. This threw us for a complete loop because that put Scotty McCreery and James Durbin up for the last spot. Unfortunately, our resident rocker James Durbin was sent packing after coming so close.

What do you think of Scotty McCreery, Haley Reinhart and Lauren Alaina representing as your American Idol top three? Watch next week as the contestants travel home -- it's bound to get emotional.

Comments

Comments on "American Idol recap: James Durbin's shocking elimination"

Gerald May 16, 2011 | 9:21 PM

I am an ardent country music fan. Hence, I like Scotty. But in all fairness, I thought James was a sure idol winner. I was disappointed and hope that there was no hanky panky in the voting.

Toni May 16, 2011 | 1:20 PM

I've watched every season of AI-won't be able to say that anymore. I AM DONE WITH AI! Enough said.

Carlita May 16, 2011 | 9:34 AM

I simply could not believe it. I thought for sure James would have taken the gold. James you rock and I don't even listen to that type of music. But you perform and allow people in your personal space that is what entertaining is all about. Taking people out of the present and just for a moment allowing them to escape. You keep on rockin' I'll be listening out for your music.

SYLVIA May 16, 2011 | 6:52 AM

I FEEL LET DOWN AND DISGUSTED BY THE WHOLE SHOW. JAMES SHOULD HAVE WON AND WE KNOW THAT AND ONCE AGAIN THE BEST DID NOT WIN !! I VOTED FOR JAMES AND WHEN HE WAS ELIMINATED, I FELT THIS WHOLE PROCESS SUCKS IN ORDER FOR THAT TO BE ABLE TO HAPPEN ! I DON'T THINK I WILL BE SUPPORTING OR WATCHING THIS SHOW FROM HERE ON OUT , BUT THAT IS MY CHOICE TO MAKE. AMERICAN iDOL IS NOT FOR ME !!!

Pat May 15, 2011 | 9:20 PM

Once again the most qualified and talented one gets thrown off. What happened...he was never in the bottom and while I love Scotty..he only sang country songs and is good but James put on a performance every week outshining everyone. He did do heavy metal once or twice but he also sang softly and did great. His voice had an enormous range from low to high and is the best despite being thrown off. Hope he gets a band or a contract and we have him on later and show everyone like Daughtry did how successful he is in spite of losing.

fan May 15, 2011 | 10:37 AM

James was always consistent. I thought he would win this (i voted for him) I felt Haley should have gone she is not a good singer & her personality is horrible. Although the others are happy they were safe, they at least cried for their friends that had to go & Haley does not show any kind of emotion for others, she also has a (i am better than you) attitude. NOT IDOL MATERIAL

denver May 14, 2011 | 4:21 PM

James Durbin, you should form a band and go on tour. I'm sure your concerts will be sold out. Even if I'm not into metal music, I loved your heavy metal performance. I will go to your concert because you're a fascinating entertainer. You should have won AI because you were the most captivating entertainer. The rest of them, including Pia, were boring.

ELIZABETH SARAH May 14, 2011 | 3:00 PM

JAMES DURBIN THROUGHOUT THE WHOLE CONTEST WAS CONSISTENT AS MANY HAVE COMMENTED HE WAS NEVER IN THE BOTTOM THREE. THE JUDGES WERE FLOORED WHEN IT HAPPENED A POOR ANGELINA, SHE LOOKED SO UPSET, IT IS DIFFICULT FOR THEM TOO. IF WATCHING, I WONDER WHAT SIMON COWELL WOULD OF THOUGHT OF THE DECISION. THIS HAD TO BE THE BEST OF ALL THE AMERICAN IDOLS SERIES. JAMES ON THE OTHER HAND HAS MARKED A GREAT FUTURE FOR HIMSELF AND AM SURE WE WILL HEAR A GREAT DEAL OF HIM. I WISH THE LAST THREE ALL THE BEST AND IF SCOTTIE IS TO WIN THEN HE HAS TO COME UP WITH SOMETHING AWESOME. SARAH MAY 14. 2011....CANADA

Steve May 14, 2011 | 8:48 AM

American Idol sucks. James is by far the most talented performer on there. Scotty is so one demensional it's not even funny. Come on teenybopper America, wake up. I feel a conspirecy here. Haley and Lauren aren't consistant enough. James blew everybody away every week.

CA gal May 14, 2011 | 8:32 AM

AI has to revamp the voting rules. Each person can cast 50 votes is CRAZY, each person should get 1 vote and the other element should be the judges decision. I have voted only a few times over the last 8 seasons, and never thought of voting 50 times for one singer. Something is grossly wrong, this is a complete turn off! I'm done with American Idol

Carole May 14, 2011 | 7:13 AM

My heart just sank when James was voted off. He should have won the whole thing. He can hit every note, he was OMG great every week, Never in the bottom. What on earth went wrong? I have great hope and respect for James. He will go far and I will buy all his music. Look what happened to Daughtry, one of the Best. Oh and a family show? Why Lady GaGa? What a tramp.

Carole May 14, 2011 | 7:10 AM

Carole May 14, 2011 | 7:07 AM

Jean May 13, 2011 | 11:46 PM

As for me AMERICAN IDOL is over for the season! I will buy only James Durbin Records.

Jean May 13, 2011 | 11:32 PM

James is The American Idol! I voted with two phones and for two hours. He had never been in the bottom three and then all of a sudden he is number 4 I don't think so! American Idol producers need to do a RE THINK. Scotty is the only one of the three left that I liked but I won't vote anymore. The producers better do something for James if they expect me to continue watching their show. This isn't the first time someone went home that shouldn't have. They need to let each voter vote once!

michelle May 13, 2011 | 9:37 PM

American Idol has to know the winner is really James Durbin...OMG, the other boring singers can't compare come on! Such a bid disappointed! We love you James...don't give up!

mark May 13, 2011 | 9:32 PM

This guy had talent,versatility in music ! James got robbed! the 3 others don't hold anything near James.Hope American Idol offers him a record deal .I not only enjoyed his music,but also his performance !

dean May 13, 2011 | 9:27 PM

WOW,I can't believe James got voted off...He was the most talented one! Hope his career goes a long way...I would buy his music for sure!American idol lost the winner ! The other 3 are boring!!!!

liz May 13, 2011 | 9:22 PM

James got robbed !! He is so talented that the other 3 have no comparison ! I will not be watching the outcome cause there is no real winner ....No more American Idol for me.

elizabeth ryan May 13, 2011 | 9:17 PM

James was far better than scotty,Haley & lauren ! I was sooo disappointed that I will no longer watch american idol ...hope James gets his career going cause he is very talented !!!!!