Shania Twain's
From This Moment On

Shania Twain opens up about everything from her ex-husband Mutt Lange and his affair with her best friend to growing up with domestic violence in her new book, From This Moment On. Check out some highlights from her autobiography as the country superstar shares the ups and downs of her rise to fame.

Shania Twain book cover

Shania Twain seems to have everything going for her. She has sold over 75 million albums worldwide, has her own reality show called Why Not premiering on Oprah's OWN network, has an adorable nine-year-old son and is a happy newlywed with businessman Frederic Thiebaud.

In her new autobiography, From This Moment On, Twain reveals the devastation she suffered as she learned that her husband of 14 years, Mutt Lange, was having an affair with her best friend Marie-Anne in 2008. Even though she has since divorced and re-married (the ex-husband of Marie-Anne!), she opens up about this difficult time, which she calls "the most shocking and painful truth of my life since the death of my parents 20 years earlier."

Shania on her divorce from Mutt Lange

"For the first week after finding out about the affair, I was ready to die -- to go to bed forever and never wake up. Or to hurt someone. I was ready to do something desperate, but in reality, there was nothing to do but to suffer through it. Fortunately, when you're a mom, the responsibility of caring for your child can keep you going," Twain writes. "Denial can have multiple layers, and rationalizing is common when you're trying to absorb something you just don't want to believe. I thought: Okay, so maybe they made a mistake. My husband and my friend will come to their senses and realize that. I was ready to forgive, and forget, make things right, move on, and get on with our lives. Not like nothing had happened, but like something had happened that I thought was fixable. But this was not to be."

Twain reveals how she came to an understanding and moved on. "Despite everything, I still loved my husband. And I still loved my friend," she writes. "I put myself in their shoes with the understanding that accidents happen, we're all human, and we all make mistakes... Eventually, I came to the point of accepting the end of my marriage."

Shania on her abusive childhood

Twain also opens up about her difficult childhood and she recalls one heartbreaking incident in which her stepfather was abusing her mother.

"My mother was a featherweight and so easy to push around. Jerry had her on the bathroom floor by the toilet, and, grabbing her hair, he slammed her head against the side of the basin, knocking her out cold," she writes. "I could see Jerry repeatedly plunge my mother's head into the toilet bowl, then pull it out again. I remember wondering, 'Why is he trying to drown her when she's already dead?' I wanted to scream, 'Stop, you already killed her!' I wanted to stop him, but I was too afraid... The enormity of that helplessness transferred to me, and I felt as limp as she was."

Shania Twain's book, From This Moment On, hits stores on May 3.

Tags: mutt lange shania twain autobiography

Comments

Comments on "Shania Twain reveals she was 'ready to die' over husband's affair"

Chuck Miles February 18, 2013 | 9:51 PM

I Love Shania!! What's not to Love, WOW!

J. Wright January 02, 2013 | 7:55 PM

Through all of this, Shania has somehow failed to mention her own long-term affair she had during her marriage. It's amazing how coniving and manipulative some people can be.

cathy September 30, 2012 | 1:38 PM

I seems like people just can't wait to DOG someone just be happy she has a good life she worked for it

Barb September 06, 2012 | 12:28 PM

Bah, humbug! It seems most of the untoward, hostile comments toward Shania seem to come from one or a few people who are posting under assumed names. I see patterns here...Screw yourself, people and get a life! If you're tired of hearing about it, don't read it. Get the hell out! Let those who want to read, do so. Or, are you going to step on their rights, as well?

Kyle September 06, 2012 | 12:24 PM

What an IDIOT Mutt Lange is! How can he cheat on someone SOOOO gorgeous? Ungrateful wretch!

Judith Dill September 04, 2012 | 2:36 PM

Wasn,t Mutt much older than she. Now I guess he's with a more mature woman.ButI believe he had all of that planned before he married her.

terryeh August 13, 2012 | 12:40 AM

Well there you have it. Three for the "I'm tired of hearing..." I bet you can read to! GET A LIFE !?! If you had one, you wouldn't be tired of hearing about it. The media decides what, and how much of it you are going to get. Not Shania. But then again, if you had a fully functioning brain, you would have noticed the first word in the title of the article is "Shania", and you wouldn't be here. How tired are you now.

Kim Ross August 11, 2012 | 8:58 AM

I can't stand this egotistical -----!

Melissa August 06, 2012 | 12:43 PM

This article was written May 2, 2011 so those of you complaining that you are tired of reading about this then STOP reading OLD articles! Also, I for one, can completely understand how Shania and her best friend's husband got together. Put yourself in their shoes... Who would most likely understand what you are going through--another person going through the same thing. I don't care about Shania one way or the other, I am just sick of judgmental people.

betsie August 03, 2012 | 3:23 PM

Heaven is in your heart.I am happy for you!Sometimes I wonder why I've been hiding from love,thinking It"s just not in the cards for me.It hurts to believe.Be happy.

Janey July 02, 2012 | 8:43 AM

Go away Shania or should I say Eileen. You have no talent and the only reason you got anywhere was because of Mutt and your taking off your clothes to sell records. You sing like a dying cow. Enough is enough. No one cares about you or your marriage failure. You also erred by marrying your best friends husband. I dont believe that nothing was going on with him while you were married.

maria June 17, 2012 | 5:36 PM

i dont believe her, they were already growing apart, and she even went back to her old boyfriend. she cannot be without a man. read the book, she has never spend time without a man.

scmaize June 17, 2012 | 11:00 AM

Why in the world would Nightmist think Twain was wrong to marry her former best friend's husband after both couples had divorced? Twain and her new husband had been betrayed by their former spouses, and were single by the time they got together. It's wonderful that they found happiness. Perhaps all four parties are happier now.

Lisa June 17, 2012 | 7:05 AM

She does seem to like to cash in on the victim role alot. That being said, I just wonder how many people she stepped on to get to the top. I don't know her, this is just seeing what I see sitting where I sit. I thought it awfully strange how her "best friends husband" and her hooked up. Kind of cancelled out the right to whine. You apparently moved on lady when you married him, so move on! Best of luck to you Shania. I am sorry for the life you had, but there are millions more out there suffering whose story cannot be told. Try to find some of them and help them out with your story of hope! God Bless ya.

NightMist June 12, 2012 | 5:38 PM

Pot calling the kettle black..This story just keeps going. If Shania really wants everyone's sympathy for her pain, then admit that you are also wrong and then move on. Stop trying to milk this issue for publicity. Yes, she had a affair with your husband, but then you turn around and marry the best friend's husband, so not one of you showed any morals.

mary May 21, 2012 | 10:11 AM

Shania loves to play the victim...feel sorry for me. Well I don't. You'd be nothing if it wasn't for Mutt. I'm sure you're enjoying your lavish lifestyle that the ordinary American woman can't even fathom At some point you must have lusted after your friend's husband. You just happen to hook up with him after your divorce. I've heard about getting married to someone you have things in common with, but that's just weird. Oh, but then your probably one of those women that don't get asked out because your too beautiful. Poor little Shania. Boo friggn hoo.

Harold Strauss May 21, 2012 | 9:08 AM

I loved her singing,she was so into it! I missed her when she stopped or slowed down,(couldn't find any new songs by her)When a thing like this happens it's devastating.Being on the road I'm sure didn't help, but I'll bet her fans,"myself included" are ready and willing to stand by her.Why do we have to loose such talented singers for whatever the reason. Today on the net I read that Gibb died,Diana Ross,and a short time back Tracy Huston died because of a drug problem. Music is the only enjoyment I get, why does the good lord have to take away or destroy such talented people who bring so much enjoyment to us! I am almost 74(June 16) and besides my animals and my music,I have nothing!I pray her life will be happy again,and that her husband doesn't stray!Please keep singing girl!

Bob May 19, 2012 | 1:33 AM

Shania was probably very hurt,but not any more hurt than the good friend of her mothers,(and who was also a mentor of Shania's),and who was responsible for Shania getting to nashville and having a career in the first place.This lady was Shania's manager until Shania hit it big.Then Shania graciously dumped the lady on her ass because she felt that her career had "outgrown" the manager.Ask Shania about that lady's pain sometime.

Mutten May 19, 2012 | 12:26 AM

I always wondered why she was with Mutt Lange? Mutt is a real Mutt!

Louanne May 10, 2012 | 4:37 PM

Shania .. your an amazing woman and I know how you are hurting. Yes .. forgive but never forget is how I feel. I want you to get on that stage and be the strong woman you are. Your loved by so many people. You have a wonderful sense of humor and I am so happy you found someone in your life. I hope he treats you like a woman should be treat. Get out there and sing because I miss your voice young lady luv you and worried about you Love Louanne