A New Leaf For
Charlie Sheen?

Charlie Sheen has pledged to help out the Alabama tornado victims by planning a fundraiser this week. Is this the new and improved Charlie Sheen -- or a publicity stunt to makeover his image? Either way, not all Alabama residents want help from Sheen. Not winning!?

On the heels of his divorce being finalized from Brooke Mueller, Charlie Sheen has told the Associated Press that he is planning a fundraiser to help the tornado victims in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. He hopes to give "money, hope, faith and healing," he said.

Charlie Sheen in Alabama

As he travels throughout Alabama with one of his goddesses and Todd Zeile, a former baseball player, Sheen tweets:

"I'm in Tuscaloosa. It's beyond words. Info coming soon on how you can all help."

Sheen made an appearance at Holt High School, where many evacuees are staying, and talked to the tornado victims. He also spoke with FEMA workers and police in Alberta City, as well as Tuscaloosa Mayer Walt Maddox.

He said in an interview that he wanted to use "his celebrity status for positive results."

"I'm hopeful that I can do whatever I can to provide some compassion, hope," he said.

Not all Alabama residents are buying it, however.

"Why, on God's green earth, would anybody want Charlie Sheen to come? What can he possibly bring to contribute to the effort... now is NOT the time for a celebrity spectator. Tuscaloosa has enough to deal with just trying to find the missing people and cleaning up the city. If he is coming to pick up a chainsaw and work HARD for a week or so doing WHATEVER he's told with no cameras around then the rehab might be good for him. Otherwise, he's just going to be in the way," commented one person.

"One disaster clinging to another disaster!" quipped another.

Others, however, are thankful and will take any help they can get. "I live in Tuscaloosa and you don't know how MUCH we appreciate your help and anyone elses! GOD bless you!" tweeted Megan_345.

Tell us: What do you think of Charlie Sheen helping out in Alabama?

Tags: tornado

Comments

Comments on "Charlie Sheen helping Alabama tornado victims, Tuscaloosa not happy"

j May 09, 2011 | 10:04 PM

Re: AJ-Pleasant Grove, AL • May 04, 2011 • 11:03 AM First off, the first commenter: J were some of your comments really called for? Must you attack people who just got mowed over by a tornado by calling them names??... really??? I live along the Mississippi River. I'm also in a tornado-prone area. My own home burned to the ground several years ago. I've seen my share of disaster and I know from experience people with any sort of intelligence don't trash those who are trying to help. If those people aren't A-holes then I don't know who is. So yeah, my post was totally necessary. Some people need to wake the eff up. They don't get a pass just because they have hardship in their lives.

Amy May 09, 2011 | 4:46 PM

I'm in Tuscaloosa just up the road from where the tornado crossed our city. I'm grateful to ANYONE who is willing to help. I don't care if it's Charlie Sheen or Jane Doe. In fact I think it's nice that he came after a fan tweeted him since I don't see any of the other celebrities jumping in like they did for Haiti. So a BIG thank you to Charlie Sheen, power crews, random volunteers from all over the US, those who donated, our own neighbors who are helping each other, churches, tree crews from here and out of state, the National Guard, and anyone else who is involved in this very long, hard path to recovery.

Megan May 04, 2011 | 4:22 PM

Charlie Sheen came to Alabama, any other celebrities feel like winning?!?!? Seems like more people stepped up for Katrina from Hollywood's heavy hitters (Brangelina), than they did for us. Yet, we are forgotten about. Sweet Home Alabama! Glad to know we love each other, if we had to depend on Hollywood, we'd be SOL!!! At least Japan is helping us.

TWISTER CHASER May 04, 2011 | 3:03 PM

To Tonya in Tuscaloosa, why don't you stop calling out celebrities who aren't there, get off this website and get out and help yourself? A lot of good you're doing sitting on your laptop reading a celebrity blog as crappy as this one.

Carole May 04, 2011 | 1:33 PM

Thank you to Charlie Sheen! Who are we to judge him on his lifestyle? Is it hurting any of us? I am just thankful that someone from Hollywood noticed that a disaster occured in the Southeast! ANd, 2 days after his viist, he has a webpage set up for donations! Thanks, Charlie!!

AJ-Pleasant Grove, AL May 04, 2011 | 11:03 AM

First off, the first commenter: J were some of your comments really called for? Must you attack people who just got mowed over by a tornado by calling them names??... really??? That’s productive... As a 23yr native of Pleasant Grove, AL where the tornado ripped through after leaving Tuscaloosa, I am grateful for the attention and assistance Charlie Sheen has brought to our state and I know the people of Alabama feel the same way. People are hurting down here. If you have never experience such a disaster it’s hard to put into words the sadness that comes with seeing people’s lives destroyed in a matter of seconds. Not just material things but death and destruction. A big thanks to Charlie and everyone and anyone who has brought help and assistant to our state. From a high profile person like Charlie to the, power crews who have worked tirelessly to restore power. To the men and women, blue and national guard who have kept these area’s safe and free from looters. To ALLLLL the volunteers and donations that have rolled in from all over the world. We are truly grateful! Couldn’t have made it without you!

j May 03, 2011 | 11:23 AM

Charlie haters, as usual, being idiots. Other than superficial, "tornadoes in the south" info I haven't followed this at all. I do, however, follow Charlie and what he's up to. Clearly he is bringing attention to the area. I now know about your disaster. I've also learned that a lot of you are ungrateful A-holes. How's that working out for you?

Tonya in Tuscaloosa May 02, 2011 | 11:00 PM

Whatever Charlie's motivation is who cares? The people of Tuscaloosa are hurting & need all the help they can get! As someone else quipped, where in the world are "Alabama" natives like Courtney Cox, Condi Rice--and what about Bo Jackson, Charles Barkley, & Terrell Owens? Charlie showed up and that's what matters most. More people should take a page of his book and follow his lead. A big thanks to Charlie Sheen for a quick hand up to Tuscaloosa, Alabama!

chucky May 02, 2011 | 8:49 PM

I'm in AL and I think whatever Charlie can do to help is wonderful! Just buying flashlights and batteries today is one step closer for everyone. Keep up the good work Charlie. It's appreciated.

Luke in Tuscaloosa May 02, 2011 | 8:48 PM

as a post-graduate living a half mile off the track of the tornado, i was here when it hit, here for the aftermath/confusion, here for the search and rescue, here for the cleanup. i dont think anyone i know is upset that charlie was here. in fact, it is quite the contrary. we have been helping in the relief efforts already, and the fact that we may be able to meet obama first and now charlie sheen while on the "front lines" only makes it that much more hopeful, sustainable, and slightly fun. im unbelievably concerned about our city, but it is good to know that 2 of the most recognizable people in the nation were here on the ground, in the heat, helping the crimson tide roll once again

chucky May 02, 2011 | 8:47 PM

Lauren Spaulding May 02, 2011 | 8:39 PM

I am a U of A graduate and a life long resident of Alabama. I couldn't be happier that Charlie Sheen took the time to come down to help, all efforts are appreciated. Who cares what his motive is, he saw a need, and he's here. That's all that matters. I'm wondering where the heck is Courtney Cox, Sarah Evans, Condolezza Rice and Jay Barker???? I've been in Tuscaloosa all weekend to do what little I can, and there is an overwhelming amount of work to do. Elizabeth: Tell your friends to go to the donation center at the corner of 15th and Queen City Ave, or to 5 Points Baptist Church in Northport or any of the other 25+ volunteer stations. I guarantee they will not be turned away.

Lisa Reed May 02, 2011 | 8:22 PM

I agree with the majority. Charlie is the only celebrity we have seen down here. I don't get why people want to give him a hard time about it. At least he is doing something and not sitting on his ass. We love you Charlie, and thanks for the support.

Lisa Reed May 02, 2011 | 8:18 PM

jeremy May 02, 2011 | 7:22 PM

I am glad charlie sheen is helping out in alabama. I know some people disagree with some things about him but hes willing to help out. Why would we turn down help right now? We need every bit of help we can get at this point. If you can not find away to help, look in other towns. So many places were destroyed in this storm. please do not turn down any help. God bless us all.

Ann Trussville, Alabama May 02, 2011 | 6:12 PM

This is so false. We are very happy that he is here to try to help & need all the help we can get. Some people just have to be so negative!!!!!!!!!

ford May 02, 2011 | 6:01 PM

Ever heard old saying, don't look a gift horse in the mouth? Just take the horse, folks!

Cindy May 02, 2011 | 5:30 PM

Because this is Alabama I would say that we THANK YOU CHARLIE SHEEN for caring! There may be few and far between that might feel differently but most of us in the south are thankful and really apreciate that someone takes time to actually come to offer whatever help they can, and Charlie Sheen is the first and olnly star that we have heard a peep out of. It meant alot to all of the people here in Alabama.

Pierce May 02, 2011 | 5:11 PM

Elizabeth- Your friends must have tried to go to an area that is still being searched for bodies. Or an area where they're focused on more important things than clean up. My friends and I are from here and we've been allowed to go where ever except those areas. We have been to every area except Rosedale and over behind Hobby Lobby. Also they won't let you in parts of 15th St. And if your friends were turned away from one area, hell if they were turned away from 5 areas, believe me there are plenty of more area where they couldhave gotten in and assisted. There are also man areas located around the city where assistance is needed with donations and distribution. No body is being turned away from helping in the intire area.

Nancy in Tuscaloosa May 02, 2011 | 3:55 PM

Charlie, you are winning! We love you! I'm wearing your shirt right now!