Mob Wives: Disgrace Or Entertainment?

An Italian group is blasting Mob Wives, calling the new reality series a disgrace to Italian Americans everywhere.

Mob Wives

Italian interest group UNICO National does not count itself among the fans of the new reality series Mob Wives. In fact, the group is totally disgusted by the show's portrayal of Italian Americans.

A rep for the group told TMZ that Mob Wives is "trash TV like Jersey Shore. I hope it dies because no one watches it."

"We were mobsters and mafiosos with The Sopranos, bimbos and buffoons with Jersey Shore, and now we're back where we started. It's a disgrace."

This is the same group that called Jersey Shore's Snooki "an embarrassment to the human race."

Mob Wives features four Italian women from Staten Island whose lives are turned upside down when men in their families are sent to prison for mob-related crimes.

"I think we're brave," said Karen Gravano, granddaughter of mob informant Sammy "The Bull" Gravano, who is serving 19 years for drug trafficking. "I think there's so much out there about the mob and it's so glorified. I just thought it was time to bring people behind closed doors and see what the families go through."

Mob Wives airs on VH1.

Tags: mob wives

Comments

Comments on "Italian group blasts Mob Wives"

albano January 30, 2012 | 10:26 PM

this show makes both italians and albanians look like a bunch of no good mobsters... its gonna be in no time before the women start talking about the two mobs and whos stronger or better blah blah blah

Jazmin January 08, 2012 | 9:20 PM

Karen is Sammy Gravano's daughter and not granddaughter. Also, Drita is NOT ITALIAN, but is in fact Albanian. Where was your editor before you published this?

Nicola May 03, 2011 | 8:49 AM

I'm Italian but I love this show because it is all drama and funny in a way. Drita is not even Italian she is albanian just like a few of the jersery shore cast mates are not italian this is just a small sect and shows how active the mob still is in NY NJ I grew up in Boston and was aware of what goes down. This show is good for the midwest lol.

Steph April 30, 2011 | 4:38 AM

First the article needs to get some facts right. Karen is daughter not granddaughter to sammy the bull and the lady married to lee is albanian. If these women want to go around looking like jackholes that's fine. I'm italian and was raised with class and these women are just jokes to be lauhed at.

frida April 23, 2011 | 4:37 AM

I am of Italian descent. The clownish women on Mob Wives, Jersey Housewives, Jerseylicous do not represent a single cell of me. Like all reality celebrities these people aren't being glorified - they're embarrassments! Village Idiots! And in exchange for their public stunts they get a small stipend and all the world gets to laugh and enjoy... UNICO, don't be so offended, we are all well aware of the laundry list of respectable and noteworthy accomplishments by Italians.

Rossie April 21, 2011 | 8:06 AM

Reality TV is scripted. Was on a show and they had a me wear a small speaker in my ear telling me what to say and do.

nicky April 21, 2011 | 7:17 AM

They chose to continue this lifestyle every day. Now they want to tell us about their hardships and trials. Reality TV isn't reality. People trying to get by in this economy,trying to raise and protect their kids, that's reality. But doesn't get ratings! Get a job,get a real life! Criminals should not be glorified. Besides, what ever happened to keeping your mouth shut!

Storm300 April 21, 2011 | 6:52 AM

I think all these shows (Real Housewives, Jersey Shore, Basketball Wives etc.) portray women of all races in an unfavorable light. It makes women look catty, shallow, narcissistic, overly dramatic and conniving. From my experience, those who find these shows entertaining usually have very little going on in their lives other than the same type of drama. Women can no longer complain about being exploited when it seems we are doing it to ourselves and enjoying it!

sandynesbit April 21, 2011 | 6:49 AM

The "company" use to be good until drugs got involved...Wives use to hold their tongue and tolerate their husbands cheating ( okay, not all cheated). I am NOT a fan of Sammy Gravano

ohdrama0901 April 21, 2011 | 5:26 AM

I a a black woman and I really enjoyed the show. It doesn't paint a a nice picture of Italian women but I am sure that most people won't get an assumption of them based on a tv show just as they don't judge all black women based on shows like Basketball Wives and Atlanta Housewives although I find those shows equally entertaining. I do notice that people tend to pick up or emulate some of the characters ways like the Jersey Shore cast like the dressing style, orange tans, and interesting hairstyles. I just consider it entertainment and they (Mob Wives) has a pretty big fanbase because they are tuning in.

yOU CANT COVER THE SUN WITH ONE FINGER April 21, 2011 | 5:24 AM

Well sorry, but it is what it is??? why do people insist on being fake. That is the reality! just like every race the Italians are not an exception the are not perfect neither!!! Let quit sweeping the trash under the MATS!!!!!!!!

Glenda Ross April 21, 2011 | 5:22 AM

Mob Wives all need to get a real job, not a publicity stunt this program airs. All trash and everyone on the show should be out on a farm and pick wine grapes and smash them with their feet because they show an heritage they think is being proud to be a WISE-LADY. Instead of showing our youngsters what kind of nuts they want to grow up and be thinking this is all-alright with illegal money (where are the tax people?)supporting these bimbos (all the priviledges of fine foods od going to a husband in jail). I am sad that we keep showing this kind of behaviour on tv. Bad enough we have to encounter this kind of behaviour with people everyday and now we will have everyone speaking lingo that is of another breed and thinking it is tough and appropiate. I won't be watching anymore!

Italian wives April 21, 2011 | 2:44 AM

Italian wives are not any different than any other wives.They are usually mothers, and very often not Italian themselves. They do no more or less than other wives as far as social lives go, mostly things designed around school activities, weddings, birthdays, showers, family gatherings, and events. Holidays are huge family events, and often church activities take more time then usual. Wives do not often if ever have any idea what the husbands do and the children are very protected, and loved. You could not pick them out of any crowd of ladies. My mother was one of those ladies.Not Italian, beautiful red hair with greeen eyes, lovely and glamorous to put it mildly, but very subdued and quiet. Good sense of humor and fun to be with.We thought our father worked like any other wealthy multiple business owner. These shows are haremful to the families , the men are not thin skinned and pay no attention to this sort of show.

Rick C April 21, 2011 | 2:16 AM

I support the Italian-American community, and UNICO on they're stance in regards to this, as well as other "reality" shows. I could only stomach about the first 15 minutes of this show. I turned it off. Enough already. The dis-service this show does to folks of Italian descent cannot be measured. The Italian people, and those of Italian descent are being portrayed as ignorant bafoons, The Italian people are fine people and are deserving of respect. Hopefully this show will last all of one or two episodes and it will die off. Besides , that one gal....Jimineez!

tflip April 20, 2011 | 12:09 PM

karen is the daughter of sammy the bull