Lucci Says Goodbye To Erica Kane

Susan Lucci is saying goodbye to one of daytime television's most iconic characters after it was announced yesterday that All My Children would be canceled.

Susan Lucci

Susan Lucci played the scheming Erica Kane for 31 long years, but soon fans will have to look elsewhere to get their Lucci fix. With the announcement that the once-wildly popular soaps All My Children and One Life to Live are being canceled, Lucci and a whole lot of other actors will be looking for new jobs.

Susan Lucci issued a statement -- a very gracious one, under the circumstances -- thanking All My Children for such an amazing career.

"It's been a fantastic journey," said Lucci in a statement. "I've loved playing Erica Kane and working with [show creator] Agnes Nixon and all the incredible people involved with All My Children. I'm looking forward to all kinds of new and exciting opportunities."

The actress was named Daytime's Leading Lady by TV Guide and is the highest paid performer in daytime television, raking in a rumored $1 million a year. She appeared as Erica Kane on the very first episode of All My Children back in 1970 and is the only remaining original cast member.

And yes, after 18 nominations Lucci finally won her Emmy back in 1999.

Image courtesy Nikki Nelson / WENN.com

Tags: daytime television daytime tv erica kane susan lucci

Comments

Comments on "Susan Lucci responds to All My Children cancelation"

Kim Jackson September 28, 2011 | 8:33 AM

Have you lost your mind!! What a terrible mistake you are making. To cancel ALL MY CHILDREN from TV an put it On-line is so unfair after all these years. What message are you truly sending to the loyal "stay-at-home" watchers. . If I were Susan Lucci, I believe I would leave the show also and "leave them hanggin" YOU DO KNOW THAT THE SHOW IS NOTHING WITHOUT HER....RIGHT!!!

Sharon June 07, 2011 | 1:49 PM

Not Happy, we don't need any more talk shows or cooking shows, there are plenty of these shows. Maybe the soap channel can pick up AMC and then ABC can play anything "they" like. I don't watch cooking shows or talk shows, too borring.

Donna April 23, 2011 | 6:21 PM

I have been watching All My Children since it started, I was young but managed to watch when I wasn't in school. I cannot imagine what I will watch when I come home from work, the first thing I typically do is put the tv on and watched my recorded favorite show. A lot has happened in the last 41 years! I do have to wonder if it's not the writers of the show who could be doing a better job that would give the show a chance. Some of the last few shows have been so perdicable, such as Angie and Jesse having the baby no surprise there. Please reconsider cancelling this show,, after all didn't a lot of the staff just relocate to Califorina? That's not right

Sarah April 19, 2011 | 10:53 PM

OMG! You've got to be kidding!!!! I absolutely LOVE AMC and OLTL. I also have the Soap Channel for missed episodes. Please, Please, Please do not cancel these shows. My kids are grown and I don't cook! So I will NOT be watching a cooking show and definitely not informercials. RETHINK FAST!!!!

Sharon Jenkins April 19, 2011 | 10:36 PM

I love All My Children and it is a part of my life. There has to be another solution other than canceling the show. Has ABC and Disney considered a channel like Soap Net? The fans would gladly add a channel to their packages in order to be able to continue to watch their soaps. You could charge $5 - $10 per month and still sell advertisements / commercials during the shows. All I know is that the fans have been loyal to ABC for years and you should work to find a solution that returns some of that loyalty. All My Children isn't like many of these night time sit coms, many of us have loyally invested years of our lives following these shows and the character - they have meaning to us - they are a part of us, and it isn't good for us, and it will not be good for ABC to cancel them.

Velma April 19, 2011 | 9:10 PM

OK ABC let's do it right donot cancell All Ny Children. Listen to us the fans.We have been soap fans of AMC for years cancelling AMC for what a cooking or clothing or whatever show. It AMC is cancell i would like to no your viewer rating. I will not be looking at a cooking show i no how to cook & a very good cook.ABC if you all ever care about your soap fans this will tell the true how much you all care about us. We the fans of AMC or saying donot cancer the show AMC. The truth will tell.The show is going great don't cancer it. Thank You.

W Holub April 19, 2011 | 5:17 PM

The cancellation of AMC is a hugh mistake. I have been watching for 40 years mostly at work during lunch or if Ican't watch then, I always record it to watch at home at night. If I'm on vacation and can't watch, I catch up on it when I get home. It is our escape from daily life for one hour. I do not watch food shows

Marz April 19, 2011 | 1:18 PM

It's unbelieveable to me that soap operas are all but extinct. Although what ever happened to music on soaps? Luke and Laura had a song. I had a song played at my wedding that was played on Santa Barbara (soap back in the late 80's). Daytime TV is all talk shows or game show - crap. I'm glad I work. Bring back soaps but put the music back in them!

kimberly April 19, 2011 | 12:33 PM

I am trying to understand why u would cancel the show..?? Stay at homes love to watch soap operas and even people who work(including men I know) either tape the show or watch it on the soap channel.. It doesnt matter what shows you put on to replace AMC and OLTL, they will not be as sucessful as AMC and OLTL. I agree with the post above, Cooking shows are a dime a dozen. If you really think MORE peeps are going to watch a cooking show than a soap opera, you have lost your mind!!

sue April 19, 2011 | 8:16 AM

I really hate the shows leaving, I have watched all my children since it has been on. It is my favorite. I really think you are making a mistake. Please keep it on.

CJ April 19, 2011 | 2:09 AM

Please don't take these shows away. I have been watching them with my mom for years now. Sometimes me and my husband will fight because he will want me to go somewhere with him and I will say I can't my soaps are coming on. Please to many people are gonna be heartbroken. AMC I watch almost everyday but OLTL I will not miss a day of it. My mom will be heartbroken she has watched them since they started. My older sister has watched them since she was 2. This channel will become nothing if you take either one of the soaps off no one who watches them will watch that that channel anymore and you may not think but lots of people watch them. Some people are not home and record them to see when they get home. My sister records them the whole week and watches them straight thru on the weekends. So if I happen to miss a day I either goto her house to watch it or wait till they come on the soap channel at 8 for AMC an 9 for OLTL if I miss themi stay up till 1 to watch them so I don't get to sleep till after 3 if I miss that I make sure I'm up in the morning to watch them I know all the times I can see them if I do miss it. PLEASE DON'T TAKE AWAY THE ONE THONG WE LIKE OUR SOAPS.

Anna April 18, 2011 | 10:17 PM

Please why are you canceling soaps what all this people with out jobs i been watching soaps for long time, i think you all should rethinking to keep this soaps going. please keep the soaps going thank you

Pam April 18, 2011 | 5:31 PM

I'm with all the others that are heartbroken. I agree with those about talk shows and cooking shows. I feel like these are my friends they keep me company during the day and I love them. I won't be watching ABC or any tv during the day. Have you looked at the lineups for CBS and NBC since cancelling thier soaps, Thanks ABC would you like to do anymore damage. Oprah please save our soaps!

Ann April 18, 2011 | 3:40 PM

You are totally crazy for canceling these shows I will not be watching any stupid cooking show either, or ABC channel. Its always about money, money, money.

Rickie Faggart April 18, 2011 | 3:12 PM

I am so disappointed that All My Children is being cancelled, for talk shows at that. There are already more than needs to be on T.V. I will not be watching any of these. I do not like talk shows.

Tanya April 18, 2011 | 2:47 PM

First off Susan Lucci has been on for 41 years.. NOT 31 as yor article states.. do the math the show started in 1970.. I must say that I am heartbroken that AMC will be gone, this was what I grew up watching (I was born in 1969) with my Nana (RIP) and mother and later would watch on my own and as a Mother of 3 kids (Adam, Meghan & Kendall) I got my kids names from my favorite day time shows when I was a stay at home mom. My youngest daughter (Kendall) will still watch AMC with me when she is home.. I am truely heartbroken =(

Charlotte April 18, 2011 | 12:51 PM

I agree with all of the above. I tape All My Children --will not be taping talk shows!

Sandi April 18, 2011 | 10:04 AM

Oprah is polling the viewers on which soap is their favorite. Please go there and vote...and while you're there ask her to put AMC and OLTL on her new OWN network schedule! http://www.oprah/oprahshow/Poll-Whats-Your-Favorite-Soap-Opera

Crystal April 18, 2011 | 9:49 AM

I've watched this show since forever. I cannot believe that ABC would make such a decision with the fan-base for AMC and OLTL as large as it it! ABC Please rethink this decision. I remember watching the soaps with my mom, grandmother, and now with my daughter. Have a heart ABC...

Linda Marcus April 17, 2011 | 10:51 PM

I have been watching AMC for 36 and OLTL for 25 years and I can't believe ABC (Disney) would do something horrendous like this. I am deeply dissappointed by this decision-what are you thinking about, obviously you were'nt thinking at all! I look forward to watching my 3 soaps every day along with the rest of the world. Bad choice ABC - people will choose another network to watch including me!