Lifestyle Shows Replacing Soaps

Two mainstay soaps -- One Life to Live and All My Children -- are ending their decades-long runs. What is ABC putting on instead?

Devastating news for fans of daytime soaps One Life to Live and All My Children: Both shows have been canceled. One Life to Live will leave the air in January 2012 and All My Children will meet its end in September.

One Live to Live and All My Children is canceled

Sad.

AMC and OLTL have been on the air for 43 and 41 years, respectively. This leaves ABC with only one soap: General Hospital.

What's going to replace the iconic shows? Two new health and lifestyle shows, The Chew and The Revolution, according to an ABC press release. The Chew is described as "a live show about anything and everything related to the world of food and beyond." Hosts include chef Mario Batali, What Not to Wear's Clinton Kelly, Carla Hall from Top Chef, Iron Chef's Michael Symon and nutrition expert Daphne Oz.

The Revolution features Project Runway's Tim Gunn, American Idol's Kimberley Locke and trainer Harley Pasternak and "follows one woman's five-month weight loss journey, which unfolds in five days, with daily results and a final transformational reveal on Friday."

ABC's daytime president Brian Frons said he recognizes how upsetting this is for the fans of both daytime dramas.

"While we are excited about our new shows and the shift in our business, I can't help but recognize how bittersweet the change is," he said in a statement. "We are taking this bold step to expand our business because viewers are looking for different types of programming these days. They are telling us there is room for informative, authentic and fun shows that are relatable, offer a wide variety of opinions and focus on 'real life' takeaways."

Real life is great and all, but we liked watching the non-reality based lives of our fave soap stars. Their problems are fun and exciting compared to ours.

Do you think The Chew and The Revolution can take the places of One Life to Live and All My Children?

Image: ABC

Tags: the revolution

Comments

Comments on "ABC cancels One Life to Live and All My Children"

Betty January 26, 2012 | 11:41 AM

I just hate what you have done. I will make sure I do not watch ABC during 11:00 to 3:00. I will find another station. I hate reality shows anyway.

matt May 20, 2011 | 6:52 AM

I can agree more about the cancellation of All My Children and One Life To Live. Because if ABC took those soaps off the air, Channel 7 WJLA will go down the drain by 1%. If I was the programming director at WJLA. I'd convince the network to keep the 2 soap operas on the air.

CC Lyda May 06, 2011 | 5:44 PM

I guess I will not be watching daytime TV on ABC, they have really screwed up this time, I have watched OLTL since it first started, 40 years ago, they are a part of my life, so you can kiss me goodbye, I don't think anybody should watch any of the shows that are replacing OLTL or AMC. This is the worst news since they cancelled I Love Lucy.

Emily April 29, 2011 | 6:41 PM

I'm extremely upset that ABC has cancelled my favorite soaps. I have watched them since I was a girl while my mom watched and now I watch at night on Ch.68. I am already tired of the cooking shows, the reality tv shows and the talent shows. These things are fleeting. The soaps are continuous stories about current things that affect people's lives. They show viewers that other people go through what we do and that there are ways to deal with it. Viewers realize the stars aren't going thru these things and it's a story, but to see their favorite stars dealing with current,real life issues. Watching all the stress they go thru day in and day out, helps a viewer feel that if they can do it, so can the viewer. I will really miss the wonderful actors who have shared their excellent skills over the years and am just hoping there is a change of heart.

Laurie Matthews April 26, 2011 | 9:00 AM

Horrible! I too will boycott ABC! If you say no one watches them during the day due to less stay at home moms then move them to nighttime. People do watch them. I DVR All My Children every day and during the summer I watch it during the day. I have been watching it since I was a little girl! Now there won't be anything good on TV. TV is getting so useless. Shows are now horrible and tasteless!

paula April 25, 2011 | 4:44 PM

VERY UPSET-AMC-OLTLGo i go i will watch channel 6 i have been watching these shows since age 9 my mother watched from the beginning.Very Very Upset

wonderful April 21, 2011 | 7:34 PM

re-consider your position before your day-time viewers go elsewhere as well. The morning reality is fine (the view) but to replace All my children and on life to live - not such a great move ABC. Think about your loyal viewers. Give the people what they want and thats OLTL and All My Children. Thanks in advance for your consideration.

witty April 21, 2011 | 7:26 PM

There are enough dumb reality shows. These shows are a different type of reality. Theses shows people have grew up with and grown to love. The Chew, what is that bla bla bla. Taking these two popular soaps off will cause your ratings to drop. Think before you make this drastic mistake.

Carolyn April 19, 2011 | 2:29 AM

Please don't take the soaps away. No one will watch the other shows your wanting to put on. Take away the other soaps that no one watches don't take AMC and OLTL away. I look forward to them everyday and hate when the weekend comes cuz I have to wait till Monday to watch them again. You will be making the biggest mistake taking them off. Channel 9 will have no one watching it. My mom got me into these two shows about 5 years ago and I haven't missed a day since. She's been watching them since they started she records them cuz she's sick and sometimes she's asleep when they come on but she looks forward to watching them when she's up. She's never missed them since she started watching them. You will hurt way to many people doing this with these stupid shows your gonna put on. I'm a stay at home mom and I watch them everyday. My 8 year old son has started watching them and has started liking them. I have noticed you have been putting reruns on a few times this year I was so mad when that happened. You will lose alot of people who watch this channel and then you will be out of business because no one will watch it anymore. The soaps have become part of some peoples lifes they have watched them since they came on. DONT TAKE AWAY OUR SOAPS. AMC AN OLTL YOU WILL REGRET DOING IT YOUR STATION WILL GO DOWN THE DRAIN NO ONE I MEAN ALL THE ONES WHO WATCH AMC AND OLTL WILL NO LONGER WATCH THAT CHANNEL ANYMORE YOUR TAKING AWAY PARTS OF PEOPLES LIFES. WHEN YOU WATCH THEM SO LONG YOU FEEL LIKE THEY HAVE BECAME PART OF YOUR OWN LIFE. DONT DO IT. THATS WHY YOUR MAKING THE SHOWS WHERE EVERYONE IS DYING CUZ UR TAKING THEM AWAY FROM THE FANS AND IT'S NOT RIGHT ONE DARN BIT. DONT TAKE THEM AWAY. YOU DO AND YOU WILL LOSE SO MANY PEOPLE TO YOUR STATION THEN YOU WILL BE TAKEN AWAY I LOVE MY SOAPS AMC AN OLTL. I WON'T EVEN GO PEE IF IT'S ON.

Kristine Bennett April 18, 2011 | 12:15 PM

I am not happy that One Life To Live has been canceled. I have been watching the show since it began in 1968 when I was just 16.

unknown April 16, 2011 | 9:30 PM

This is thw worst news ever !!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm only 14 and I can't believe this !!! Theres no need for boring Reality shows. NO ONE WATCHES THEM !!!

Margaret Rice April 16, 2011 | 4:45 PM

I AM VERY VERY UNHAPPY WITH THESE SHOWS BEING TAKEN OFF I HAVE WATCHED THEM SINCE I WAS IN HIGH SCHOOL 1970'S. I LOOKED FORWARD TO THE TIME I GOT TO WATCH THEM, PLEASE DON'T TAKE ONE LIFE TO LIVE OR ALL MY CHILDREN OFF. THEY ARE THE BEST EVER, AND FOR SOME STUPID TALK SHOW BORING, BORING, BORING NOBODY WANTS MORE OF THOSE TALK SHOWS PLEASE RECONSIDER LEAVE THEM ON ABC. THEY ALSO TAKE AWAY STRESS ITS WHAT PEOPLE LOOK FORWARD TO AFTER A DAY AT WORK COME HOME AND RELAX WITH A FAVORITE SOAP OPERA I WILL STOP WATCHING ABC IF THEY ARE TAKEN OFF THATS FOR SURE.

Elizabeth April 15, 2011 | 7:24 PM

I have been a die hard fan of OLTL for as long as I can remember. Its just a part of my life and I will miss that. I'm very disappointed that ABC has canceled it!

Martha April 15, 2011 | 3:43 PM

This is devastating. I am a profesional woman and enjoy watching my soaps after a stressful day at work. I can watch dr oz or oprah when I get home. I enjoy the soaps at night as there is not much entertainment anymore on night time TV. I really hope Brian At ABC reconsiders this decision. Look at the poll on soap net. com 83% of people are devastated.

Cindy April 15, 2011 | 3:23 PM

I am astonished at the thought of ending OLTL!!!!!!!! I will no longer watch ABC if they pointlessly get rid of a "GREAT" soap opera!!! I'm so distraught over this. I DVR this show faithfully!!! Goodbye ABC your making a big mistake!!!!!!!!!

NORMA April 15, 2011 | 12:58 PM

i too will boy cott abc daytime when they cancel soaps, there are enough reality shows now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yvette April 15, 2011 | 12:18 PM

this is absolutely unbelieveable!!!! i am 49 years old and have been watching abc soaps since i was a child, PLEASE DON'T CANCEL THESE GREAT SHOWS..... ABC is making a big mistake!!! and if sonny goes.......... i go........... i will never watch your network again! :(

yvette April 15, 2011 | 12:18 PM

Teresa April 15, 2011 | 9:28 AM

I will no longer watch ABC Daytime. What you are replaceing these shows with are a good example of what can be had for a dime a dozen on cable. I will stop watching GH as soon as OLTL is gone. Why stay wrapped up in one of ABC's daytime soaps when it will soon go as well? This is the 2nd dumbest move you have made, the first was loosing Genie Francis to CBS. Young and the Restless will now be the only Soap I watch - Thank You CBS for having the brains to grab Genie Francis and bad on you ABC for not being willing to have her character evovle!

linda April 15, 2011 | 4:37 AM

i am really disappointed in oltl being cancelled. i,m disabled and oltl is the only show i like to watch, which i,ve been watching for 40 years. i do not like talk or food shows, there,s enough of them already. people that work tape oltl and then rush home to escape. what the heck are you guys thinking? weel i,m hurt and mad at the same time. no onr considered us as viewers. this is just abc,s way of making a fast buck. very disappointed!