Robert Pattinson, James Franco On List

The biopic on the late singer Jeff Buckley is a go. Who should play him on film?

Jeff Buckley only released one album before his untimely drowning death in 1997. He's risen to cult-figure status in the years since his death and the long-awaited biopic of the tragic singer's life is on the way.

Jeff buckley biopic is happening

Ridley Scott's son, Jake Scott, is on board to direct the film, as is screenwriter Ryan Jaffe. Buckley's mother, Mary Guibert, is one of the film's producers and has the rights to some of his music, according to Spinner. They've also optioned the book about Buckley and his late father, Tim Buckley -- Dream Brother: The Lives and Music of Jeff and Tim Buckley.

Filming is set to start in the fall, but one question still remains: Who is going to play the fallen rocker? Several actors are on the short list -- but which ones should make the cut?

Robert Pattinson

Twilight star Robert Pattinson has made no secret of his desire to portray Buckley on film -- his singing voice is somewhat similar to Buckley's.

"Rob is obsessed with this project and is doing everything he can to land the part," one insider said in January. "He has already told his business team this is his passion and they agree it could be the film that makes him a legitimate Oscar contender."

Film producers also confirmed that Pattinson was one of the actors they've talked to about the role.

"I've met actors who are keen on the part and Robert was one."

Buckley's mom is on Pattinson's side.

"Robert is a fine young actor. I'm flattered he's been linked to this project. When the time comes we'll give everybody an opportunity to be seen and heard," she said.

James Franco

James Franco ranks right up there with Pattinson on the list of potential actors, mostly because Franco bears an uncanny resemblance to Buckley. Seriously, it's scary.

James Franco might play Jeff Buckley in biopic

The only potential problem? We don't know if Franco can sing. That probably won't matter though -- Joaquin Phoenix did an amazing job in Walk the Line without a prior music career.

Other actors reportedly on the short list include James Marsden and even Jared Leto. However, it looks like it's a duel between Pattinson and Franco.

Who do you want to see in the Jeff Buckley biopic?

Tags: jeff buckley

Comments

Comments on "Who should play Jeff Buckley in his biopic?"

Victoria May 06, 2012 | 6:34 PM

It has to be James Franco - no question. Robert Pattinson would forever slaughter Jeff Buckley's name.

Adel March 27, 2012 | 9:09 AM

It has to be James Franco!!

Ruby July 03, 2011 | 9:11 AM

ps.@AMY....I'll gladly join you...I'd prefer to gouge my eyes and ears out with chopsticks than watch or listen to "RPatt" e on the glorious memory of the talented Mr. Buckley!!

Ruby July 03, 2011 | 9:06 AM

Haters aside, I couldn't bear the thought of trying to watch RPattinson try to act his way out of a bag of angry kittens, much less portray the late, GREAT Jeff Buckley! He doesn't have the chops or the talent to do it! But...James Franco has the look and soul-sick beauty needed for this role!! I'm sure a voice coach can get him singing right (if even needed, the guy is already a very talented artist in many other media!)....or at worst, they can use a voice double. I VOTE JAMES FRANCO! It's the only way to keep JB from rolling over in his grave. Poor bloke.

karen April 29, 2011 | 3:45 PM

james is a lost soul just like jeff was... you can see it in his eyes there couldn't be anyone better to portray him

jenyArelyMartnezCanel April 14, 2011 | 4:28 PM

wow the resemblance is potential. If he paints, writes, acts and not many things, singing? sing to be like breathing. James FRANCO is only until they find someone better than to stop thinking about James, that is, in my whole life your name resound in my mind ..... The dilemma is no dilemma there is only one option: james.Ovbio JAMES FRANCO.

jenyArelymartnezCanel April 14, 2011 | 4:07 PM

wow the resemblance is potential. If he paints, writes, acts and not many things, singing? sing to be like breathing. James is only until they find someone better than to stop thinking about James, that is, in my whole life your name resound in my mind ..... The dilemma is no dilemma there is only one option: james.

Maude April 14, 2011 | 10:55 AM

James Franco has a similar "look" to Jeff in print BUT definitely does not have his essence! Perhaps earlier in his career but not now...Robert Pattinson doesn't impress me but I would have to see how he does when auditioning for the role...Reeve Carney is a Good possibility... BTW...JEFF WOULD HATE THIS WHOLE THING!

SRL April 14, 2011 | 6:48 AM

OMFG! Here they come! The ignorant RP haters with their heads shoved so far up their a**es that all they can do is talk sh*t! Robert is perfect for this role, even Jeff's Mom thinks he's a good contender, so all of you haters just need to get over it!

MeMe April 14, 2011 | 4:27 AM

JAMES!!!! PLEASE!!

Poehler April 13, 2011 | 11:34 PM

Amen, Amy. I just saw a screening of Water For Elephants and Robert Pattinson is a horribly wooden actor. I don't know how he can get away with using the same 2 constipated expressions in all his movies! And besides stealing Jeff's hair and clothing styles, doesn't resemble the musician in both looks nor voice. There are much better actors out there like, Reeve Carney or Mark Rendall, who aren't beefy, 6 feet tall, and don't sing incoherently like Scott Stapp of Creed.

Amy April 13, 2011 | 9:57 AM

I would rather dig my eardrums out with a spoon than watch/listen to Robert Pattinson crap all over the memory of Jeff Buckley.