Shock About Pia Toscano Elimination!

American Idol delivered its first controversial elimination of the season as stars came to bat for eliminated Idol contestant Pia Toscano.

Pia Toscano

The American Idol judges were visibly outraged during Thursday night's elimination of front-runner Pia Toscano and they weren't the only ones seething. Hollywood's hottest stars weighed in on the songstress' elimination and it left us wondering, did America get it right?

Twitter accounts lit up like wildfire following Pia Toscano's elimination from American Idol.

"Don't have an Idol habit, but how could the USA vote Pia off? I may be done for the season!" Tom Hanks tweeted after the shocking results. His wife Rita Wilson added, "Was Pia punked? How did she get voted off of American Idol? That is not OK!"

Pia Toscano was known for her ballads and tugging the heartstrings of viewers everywhere, but judges had warned her in the past to switch it up to something more upbeat to show her range. She did just that on this week's live performance show and it looks like America wasn't feeling it.

Even the reality world got it on the Twitter action. Snooki from Jersey Shore tweeted, "Pia should have won the whole thing! I'm not watchin Idol anymore. I'm with JLO on this one." Dancing With the Stars pro Cheryl Burke wrote, "Pia is so talented and beautiful! Wish her the best. I'm sure her career will be full of success!"

Steven Tyler, Randy Jackson and Jennifer Lopez verbally showed their outrage over Toscano being sent home and Lopez even shed a few tears.

King of Twitter Ashton Kutcher showed the singer some love with his own tweet, saying, "Who are the people that vote on American Idol? That's just crazy! That Pia girl is dope!"

What do you think of the elimination of Pia Toscano? Do you think the judges regret using the save of Casey Abrams?

Tags: rita wilson

Comments

Comments on "Stars speak out over the American Idol elimination of Pia Toscano"

Jon Wright April 18, 2011 | 11:35 PM

Fox is typical look at George bush. Pia had the best talent, AND SHE STILL DOES. Hope Casey, or Hailey, or James wins now, but thatz never gonna happen, because of people taking advantage of your efforts to vote. I feel like we should understand that, but we never will. (no I'm not into conspiracys)

Mickey Dee April 15, 2011 | 12:24 PM

Bottom line: It's about dollars and numbers. Look recently how JL has been allowed to slip in her new videos, her new "most beautiful title," etc... Viewers and voting numbers tell producers and those footing the bill that "American Idol" has buying power...more money.... Consequently J.L's career, and the rest having a larger percentage in the overall take. Why do you think Simon is getting back into the game...folks it's all about money and I'm afraid the public is being taken for a ride. You vote and you think it's all about you....IT's NOT!!!! It's about what sells....and talent sells. Sure the contestants benefit in a possible career...but when we vote our numbers swell THEIR accounts....make no mistake. Regarding Pia....folks she IS an aweseom talent...she SHOULD have gone further...but you need to take a hard look at her inabiiity to relate. He last performance was terrible...her outfit simply did not fit her body style..bined the two did her in... In addition, Paul's final performance also sealed his fate. Pia left two early...but in truth I think she had reached her potential...at least on the show. I WILL miss her.

Donna April 13, 2011 | 10:00 AM

For the most part, this is the first time I’ve taken an interest in watching American Idol. Why? Because I’ve seen great talent…I said to myself, this is a stiff competition. Excited more so, seeing what great singing coming from Pia. I was excited and knew she’d be in the finals. Along the weeks went by I choose the exact singer that will be eliminated; I was accurate every time. Each week Pia nailed it with precision and she is excellent. She is a sophisticated lady! When she sang, I heard the voices of Celine Dion, and Leona Lewis. I got so involved and couldn’t wait for another Wednesday and Thursday to come. Well, to my surprised, I was in total shock to see she was in the bottom three and then to be eliminated????. I couldn’t sleep for several nights just thinking this is a nightmare! Something terribly went wrong Fox 5/ American Idol need to do some recalculating. What’s the point of having greats judges and not be able to enforce their authority when there is great talent?. This is robbery to the highest degree. I have lost all respect for the American Idol. To let go such great talent is a shame. Nobody in that competition could sing as well as Pia. Apparently, Americans do not know talent when they see it in their face! I‘ve lost interest in watching ever!!!!

Frank April 09, 2011 | 8:09 PM

Change the way of voting. We will not be hurt again by becoming attached to what we feel is the most talented artist on the show and then see he/she fired by who knows who. We just will not watch. There are other offerings on Thursday that make us feel happy. Get it right or ratings will go down. At least tell us where the vote is comming from. Then give the judges more power to save good people.

Theresa April 09, 2011 | 11:23 AM

It appears American is so brain washed with outrageous performers they don't know or appreciate a true talented singer anymore! What is this world coming to!!! Pia, I hope you are able to continue the legacy of great singers! You will always have my vote!

Anita April 09, 2011 | 8:15 AM

Pia has a great voice and amazing range but is completely uninteresting because she can't preform. I mean look- Britney can't sing have as good as the idols but is an amazing performer. Sorry but true!

bryson April 09, 2011 | 8:03 AM

People this is nothing but a popularity contest. Pia is better off because she'll be able to sign with anyone who will get her the best deal. Why we are all worrying about her. She got exposure, people heard her, she'll sign with someone and if you all think what a wonderful singer she is then you'll buy her cd's and make her famous.

Ron April 09, 2011 | 7:59 AM

This is a democracy in this country and the people voted. I am sure everyone voted many times for their favorite. It just was not Pia. I did not vote for her once. She was not unique and had a voice i heard a million times. Was she more talented then others Yes but not my favorite. get over it america. the best will win but not maybe sell the most records

Jay April 09, 2011 | 7:14 AM

The entire way of voting should be changed. Once the field gets down to the top 10 or 12, voters must vote for their top 5 picks, not just their favorite, this will force some of the voters to actually "think" about who they are voting for and hopefully keeping this trevesty regarding Pia from happening again. The judges are being cheerleaders and not giving contructive criticism. I am a proffesional musician and I do love to see these young kids show off their talent but for goodness sakes it has become a joke recently.

Mary April 08, 2011 | 2:11 PM

I blame the judges for part of this. JLo and Steven Tyler (I love their addition to the panel but)need to stop being so soft and complimentary to every performance. Randy is the only one giving constructive criticism. Not every performance has been as good as the judges have stated, even Steffano admitted he appreciates Randy's constructive criticism. Maybe they need to start doing a voting like on Dancing with the Stars because who wants to watch when the best people are in jeopardy or get kicked off because there's idiots voting for the WORST singers. I've watched since Season 2 and it's getting to a point where I don't know if I'll watch next year. Their going to lose fans on this one. My daughter already told me she's done watching!

Mickey Dee April 08, 2011 | 1:54 PM

Pia granted had an amazing vote...but go back. Look at "how" she responded throughout this event. Pia has a great voice, granted, and she will go far...but Pia falied to "fully" relate to either the audience or the judges. Of all the stars still left...Pia remember is STILL a star...look at how FAR she has come. But her difficulty lies in her inability...at this point in the game...to relate...to move beyond what came across as plastic in her presentation. I love her voice, and I believe she could have gone much further but folks she never could seem to move beyond that certain level in her ability to relate to both her audience and the judges. She comes across as cold even though she is probably the most beautiful idol we have ever had up on stage. She is talented and beautiful...and lets admit used every bit of the beauty to move herself forward...but in the end...at this stage in the game of idol...We have to understand that these folks have come to the point of doing "EVERYTHING" that they can and I believe Pia reached is highest point. Should others have left before her....yes. In addition, how the judges responded was reprehensible...How do you think this made Stephan feel.... The judges lost their objectivity...did you look at Stephan's face through all of this...I felt sorry for the guy. Realize this: If what the judges said about Pia was true....what then were they really saying about Stephan. (The judges need to hear from Simon or someone and they need to be cautious about those kind of responses....I think the judges forgot themselves and may have aliented a good part of the American crowd. Stephan IS an underdog and you don't spit in an underdog's face...at least not if you are an American). I think at this point in Pia's abilities the public got it right...but granted there should have been others that left before she did.

Ken April 08, 2011 | 12:10 PM

Does it mean American don't appreciate great singer as much as British do? OMG! This is not the first time American prove so!

Peg April 08, 2011 | 11:01 AM

Also, I think the Judge's behavior is reprehensible. Their behavior and rants will alienate them from the remaining contestants. Shouldn't the judges be impartial at this point and equally supportive of ALL the contestants?

Peg April 08, 2011 | 10:53 AM

Pia was like an artist that can forge a painting by a great Master but lacks the creativity to be a Master. Pia sang beautifully replicating Divas but lacked the appeal and creativity to be a Diva. America got it right.

izzie April 08, 2011 | 10:49 AM

Not sure which is better evidence that the show is rigged. Pia going or Casey staying. Give me a break. Nice guy, but way out of his league.

Mark April 08, 2011 | 10:49 AM

I don't believe the show is rigged. It's just that the voting is overrun by teeny-boppers voting for things other than talent. I also feel like not watching it again, not because I think it's rigged, but because it's a worthless waste of time if such a pure voice can't make it out of the top 9. I think the way to fix the problem is to limit the number of votes that can come from any given phone number or IP address. But then Ryan wouldn't be able to celebrate the 35 million votes that came in for the week.

DIABOLUS April 08, 2011 | 10:45 AM

Christ, you people need to get a life...

LynnR April 08, 2011 | 10:42 AM

I was astonished at the outcome...and then I couldn't help relating it to the general sway of the media and dumbing down of critical thinking that is happening in our country (our present political situation...and the budget snarl is a case in point). It's all who shouts the loudest in votes or comment that wins the day, not the substance or quality of an issue (or voice).....

Rick April 08, 2011 | 10:41 AM

Pia was one of the best singers on the show. I certainly thought she would either win it or be up there until the last week. However, this should give FOX a pause to reconsider how they allow people to vote. First, they allow way to many votes per person. Second, they should allow the judges a greater voice in who is safe. To give the judges just one save is stupid considering how people vote. If we are truly looking for the best performer, we need the judges to be able to save the best until last.

ann April 08, 2011 | 10:41 AM

I agree with Victoria. It doesn't really matter if Pia wins Idol. Her talent is what matters--and it will carry her through a long successful singing career