Jennifer Lawrence
Is Katniss

Jennifer Lawrence is reportedly the chosen one to play Katniss in the upcoming Lionsgate adaptation of The Hunger Games. Who did she beat out for the role?

It looks like the cast of the upcoming The Hunger Games can add an Oscar-nominated actress to the list: Jennifer Lawrence.

Jennifer Lawrence tapped to play Katniss in The Hunger Games

Lawrence, nominated for Best Actress for her work on Winter's Bone, has been reportedly offered a role in the film. She was offered the role Tuesday and sealed the deal on Wednesday, according to a source close to the production.

The actress beat out plenty of heavyweights for the role of Katniss Everdeen, including Emma Roberts, Abigail Breslin and Hailee Steinfeld. Alex Pettyfer, Josh Hutcherson and Hunter Parish are all considered frontrunners for the role of Peeta Mellark.

The Hunger Games revolves around Katniss as she joins a survival contest to try and save her community. The book, written by author Suzanne Collins, is part of a trilogy that includes Catching Fire and Mockingjay.

Director Gary Ross and Lionsgate are planning to make all three films in the series.

We're definitely digging Lawrence as Katniss -- she has the right amount of personality, age and acting talent to really make the role work. We love Steinfeld and Breslin, but we think they're a bit too young to properly get into the role.

What do you think? Are you happy with the casting of Jennifer Lawrence in The Hunger Games? Or, do you wish someone else got the part?

Comments

Comments on "Jennifer Lawrence nabs lead in The Hunger Games"

beatrice Santiago May 08, 2012 | 9:54 AM

jen was good but does not have olive skin nor is she of age but she was a good actriss it should have been clove isbelle funman

No name face April 22, 2011 | 10:50 PM

I think that she would be a better Katniss if she had dark brown hair. That is how it was in the book, and I think they should stick to the description of the characters as well as they possibly can.

aynsley7 April 09, 2011 | 7:09 PM

There is no way that Katniss looks like that. I'm sorry, but Lawrence is way to blond and has too much of a "made up" look. She is very snooty and really doesn't look like she will be able to play the part very well. The Peeta and Gale castings look OK (except for the fact that the hair and eye color is opposite for both of them) but I really don't think that Lawrence will be able to pull off Katniss' character without making it too "I'm-better-than-you." She's got a long way to go if she's going to be able to pull it off, but my expectations are very low.

Christina April 06, 2011 | 6:45 PM

shes blonde. katniss is not. enough said. SHE IS COMPLETELY WRONG FOR THE PART

Paige S April 06, 2011 | 4:20 PM

You think Hailee is too young? Think again. Jennifer Lawrence will ruin all of the films if she takes the role. The WHOLE concept of the book, the ENTIRE concept is the psychoticness and sickness of innocent YOUNG children killing OTHER -young- children. I don't think fans or critics can STRESS how much it's important that the actors are young or look young.I don't think fans or critics can STRESS how much it's important that the actors are young or look young. I previously read that Jennifer Lawrence would be a good choice to play a different character in the book who is from 'District 1'. The commenter said that she looked the part since she is blonde and tall. Katniss is the OPPOSITE of blonde and tall. Katniss has messy eyebrows, a scruffy, fierce appearance to her and then this fragile complex vulnerability to her. I agere that people should only pass judgement when we see the movie, but I know enough about this already. All the fans have an ideal image of Katniss and it's not Jennifer. Jennifer can dye her hair, put contacts on, tint her eyebrows, spray tan herself, everything, but she can't stunt her growth and look unhealthy (why make yourself look unhealthy)? No actors/actresses do that. Jennifer doesn't even look childish. All the shyness of Peeta is gone too. Katniss is supposed to look hostile and Peeta sweet and nice. Neither of them describe this. You can get all the spray tans, hair dyes and face lifts to fit the role. But wouldn't it just be easier to pick someone else? On behalf of my friends in the hungers games book club (122 members) none of us are satisfied. Please consider recasting.

Dont think so March 17, 2011 | 2:09 PM

You think Hailee is too young? Think again. Jennifer Lawrence will ruin all of the films if she takes the role. The WHOLE concept of the book, the ENTIRE concept is the psychoticness and sickness of innocent YOUNG children killing OTHER -young- children. I don't think fans or critics can STRESS how much it's important that the actors are young or look young. I previously read that Jennifer Lawrence would be a good choice to play a different character in the book who is from 'District 1'. The commenter said that she looked the part since she is blonde and tall. Katniss is the OPPOSITE of blonde and tall. Katniss has messy eyebrows, a scruffy, fierce appearance to her and then this fragile complex vulnerability to her. I agere that people should only pass judgement when we see the movie, but I know enough about this already. All the fans have an ideal image of Katniss and it's not Jennifer. Jennifer can dye her hair, put contacts on, tint her eyebrows, spray tan herself, everything, but she can't stunt her growth, look unhealthy (why lose weight for a movie role? No actors/actresses do that- except a few stupid ones) AND look childish. I think the person who plays Peeta should be under 16-23. NOT Hunter Parrish either, he just sounds like a complete idiot already ''Jennifer Lawrence, all right I'm in this!''! It takes away all the shyness of Peeta.