Mike Huckabee Vs
Natalie Portman?

Former Arkansas governor and possible 2012 presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee was quoted as saying that Natalie Portman is glamorizing being pregnant and not married. He is now trying to explain his statements, saying he did not mean to "attack" Portman and he was happy she was marrying the father of her child.

Natalie Portman -Mike Huckabee

Mike Huckabee said that although Natalie Portman, who just won an Oscar for Best Actress for Black Swan, is a "very brilliant and admirable actress," he thinks her pregnancy is sending a bad message.

"She got up, she was very visibly pregnant, and it's really, it's a problem because she's about seven months pregnant, it's her first pregnancy, and she and the baby's father aren't married. And before two billion people, Natalie Portman says, 'Oh I want to thank my love and he's given me the most wonderful gift,'" Huckabee told radio host Michael Medved. "He didn't give her the most wonderful gift, which would be a wedding ring! And it just seems to me that sending that kind of message is problematic."

Portman, 29, is engaged and expecting her first child with Benjamin Millepied, the choreographer she met while filming Black Swan.

Huckabee said that most single moms are not in the same financial position as Portman, and her pregnancy is "troubling" and it may "glorify and glamorize" having children when not married.

"There aren't really a lot of single moms out there who are making millions of dollars every year for being in a movie. And I think it gives a distorted image... Most single moms are very poor, uneducated, can't get a job, and if it weren't for government assistance, their kids would be starving to death and never have health care. And that's the story that we're not seeing," he said.

Huckabee said today that his comments weren't meant as an "attack" and that he was "glad" that Portman was planning on marrying Millepied.

"However, contrary to what the Hollywood media reported, I did not 'slam' or 'attack' Natalie Portman, nor did I criticize the hardworking single mothers in our country," he said. "My comments were about the statistical reality that most single moms are very poor, under-educated, can't get a job, and if it weren't for government assistance, their kids would be starving to death. That's the story that we're not seeing, and it's unfortunate that society often glorifies and glamorizes the idea of having children out of wedlock."

Tell us: Do you agree with Mike Huckabee? Do you think it makes a difference that Portman is not a pregnant teen, but rather a 29-year-old woman? And how do his arguments apply to single women who want to adopt or want to raise a child as a single mom?

Tags: mike huckabee

Comments

Comments on "Mike Huckabee says Portman pregnancy comments misunderstood"

Tim March 06, 2011 | 2:32 AM

Why is huckabee blaming portman for the future potential mistakes of other people? If you're dumb enough to think that getting pregnant will turn you into Natalie portman, or anything like it, you are already doomed and so are your kids. Perhaps huckleberry thinks that rich people shouldn't flaunt their wealth so that stupid people don't get confused and blow all their money. Let's not leave it up to the parents like a good republican preaches. Nope, let's blame the rich. It would be a lot easier if we'd all just start acting the one, perfect way... Mike huckabee. Fascist much?

munyia leblanc March 05, 2011 | 9:19 AM

I totally agree with CATPERSON...Where can I write to Huckabee to remind him that he left Bristol Palin out of his comments about most single mothers that are poor, uneducated and. It is so hypocritical to mention only one person by name who is in that situation and leave out all the other famous people who chose that path. Ideas about an address?

Dan McKinnon March 05, 2011 | 8:36 AM

Catpurrson is the Hypocrite. Your opening words are I'm sure. How can you be sure. You assume. That just shows your agenda. Are you sure she is engaged with a ring and a date? Hell no your not. You assume she is telling you the truth. Even then. Get married and then have children. That is the way responsible people do it. It is statistical fact that children are much better served that way. And if you try to state that marriage is a failure. You can never justify the means by the end. It's like what Chris Rock says. My child is 16 and has never been to prison. I'm so proud. If this is our expectation for people, well.

Jeffrey Farber March 05, 2011 | 6:06 AM

I would love to scrutinize the Huckabee family "cactus" to the same degree he has attacked Ms. Portman. Doesn't this idiot have anything better to gossip about, or better yet play politician about; are there no other issues in our country?

Mel March 05, 2011 | 4:02 AM

So what if she isn't married...In todays world it doesn't matter. And by the way I am not married and have 2 beautiful children and am quite successful. I would rather be single then be in the middle of a divorce! Look at all the actors and actresses that go through marriages and divorces like it their job?! What kind of message is that sending? There are other important things to be worrying about other than this issue.

John Ross March 04, 2011 | 10:08 PM

Glad to see some people commenting on Huckster's silence on Bristol Palin's baby. I haven't heard it mentioned by a single pundit. He is a total FOXhead and should have been suspended with the others.

Brian C. March 04, 2011 | 7:53 PM

He forgot to mention that people who have the world at their fingertips avoid dating single parents.

Allie March 04, 2011 | 7:44 PM

And at Sarah, so I suppose when accidents happen your all for taking it out on the baby and having an abortion? It's 2011. Who the hell says you need to be married to have a child? It's not a 'fad' to some people, it's something that happens and turns out to be a blessing.

dsdasda March 04, 2011 | 7:40 PM

Sarah sounds like a bible THUMPER. hump hump hump

Allie March 04, 2011 | 7:39 PM

There are single moms we AREN'T educated and work very hard at giving their kids a good life WITHOUT government assistance. Way to generalize all single mothers. I happen to know one who works her butt off, is in school, and is not getting any government help. Being married means nothing. There are some useless fathers out there too. Maybe that's why some single moms aren't with them. But sometimes idiots just don't stop to freakin' THINK. Let's see....marry this abusive man or work hard by myself. Well what EVER will people think? I'll just marry him and let him BLACK MY EYE FOR 10 YEARS. Yep. Think before you SPEAK.

Khansa Jones March 04, 2011 | 7:21 PM

I understand Mike Huckabee's comments, however why did he not have commentary for Benjamin Milliepied in the affirmative. What I mean by that is why not speak to the point of what a man's responsibility is i.e. take a wife prior to starting a family and furthering that commitment by standing by your family and raising children. I think if vasectomies were doled out at the time of circumcision adult males would choose to have reversal and be more responsible. if men did not leave their bodily fluid around at will, women would have less problems.

Sarah March 04, 2011 | 6:17 PM

Good for Huckabee! Having a baby is not a fad, it's a responsibility that should be taken seriously. Hollywood types are not teenagers-their actions are premeditated for maximum publicity. When the attention fades will the parents stick around to actually raise the child or will they just adopt the newest fad? Children need a mom and a dad who are mature enough to postpone and conceive a child after they are married, not before.

techstuff March 04, 2011 | 6:08 PM

Mr. Huckbee.. What clown!!! Run again??? You'll lose again as well!!! Just you did in 2008..

susan j. sager March 04, 2011 | 4:30 PM

Mike Huckabee is a hypocrite - enough said. He criticizes the educated, intelligent Ms. Porman but does not say a word about Bristol Palin?

Jeff Lacey March 04, 2011 | 4:24 PM

Way to go Huckabee! Don't abort the fetus because that's a sin. Instead bring it into the world to starve. What a moron! Every single day I find reason to be happy to be a rational Canadian atheist and not a hillbilly dope.

Jeff Lacey March 04, 2011 | 4:20 PM

Mr. Huckabee is typical of the morons that comprise the ranks of the Republicans. Don't abort because that's a sin but let a child starve to death, grow up poor and uneducated as that's the Godly way. Every single day I find reasons to be thankful that I am a rational Canadian atheist and not an inbred hillbilly dope.

D March 04, 2011 | 3:56 PM

There are many women who are highly educated, have good jobs, and choose to be single mothers. Those are the stories we are not seeing.

catpurrson March 04, 2011 | 3:49 PM

I'm sure Huckabee never said a word about unmarried Bristol Palin who wasn't even engaged. Hypocrisy again.