Madonna Supports
Born This Way

Lady Gaga spoke to Jay Leno about the controversy surrounding Born This Way and its throwback to Madonna's Express Yourself. Keep looking for controversy, haters, because Madonna has no problem with Gaga's new anthem.

Straight from her exhausting Grammy Awards night where she snagged a few trophies, Lady Gaga stopped by to chat with Jay Leno -- and bring him some M&Ms. Among other things, the two talked about Madonna's feelings towards Lady Gaga's new song, Born This Way.

Lady Gaga visits Leno to talk Madonna

Released on February 11, Born This Way started raising eyebrows over its similarity to Madonna's hit Express Yourself. On Monday night's episode of The Tonight Show, Jay Leno asked Gaga if Madonna had reached out to her over the shade some people were throwing. The good news is there won't be any Gaga versus Madonna feuds anytime soon.

"The good news is I got an email from her people and her, sending their love and complete support on behalf of the single," Lady Gaga revealed to Jay Leno. "If the queen says it shall be, then it shall be."

Gaga, in the past and as of today, has gushed over her own admiration for Madonna both as a fan and as a professional. Express Yourself was the 1980s and Born This Way is the now of individual anthems. There will always be a hint of past inspiration in lots of songs.

Lady Gaga also shared details with Jay Leno about a brand new project she's working on with HBO. She's going to be taping an HBO special of the Monster Ball tour.

Now that Madonna is fine with Lady Gaga's new single Born This Way, do you think we'll all move on and put our paws up to the song?

Tags: express yourself

Comments

Comments on "Lady Gaga dishes Madonna's blessing for Born This Way"

Max March 31, 2011 | 3:36 AM

I am happy for both of them and I love Lady Gaga's new song Born this way.I don't think their is anything wrong with it at all. Lady Gaga is just being Lady gaga in Born this way.So I am with her all the way and I don't think she is a clone, I no born this way will NEVER be the new anthem for anything she is doing all this hard work for her little monsters that mean a lot to her.

Monique February 16, 2011 | 7:16 AM

I love how she talked about the beat but had nothing to say of the offensive lyrics("chola", "orient", "don't be a drag-just be a queen" WTF????).

Mark February 15, 2011 | 7:07 PM

@Alexandra We'd love to, but the media and radio keep shoving it down our throats.

Alexandra February 15, 2011 | 3:06 PM

I've got a really, really simple solution for the haters... Stop listening to it!

joel February 15, 2011 | 11:43 AM

Kristin Watson - YOU SO FUNNY! "There will always be a hint of past inspiration in lots of songs." Yes, I think everyone can hear the HINT of the past in this song! Or they can just listen to the original.

Augusta February 15, 2011 | 10:45 AM

Born This Way was hyped for a long time as being epic and our generation's anthem. But instead of getting something revolutionary, we got a throwback. Honestly, I was expecting a lot more and whether it's sanctioned or not makes no difference. This is an unoriginal song and not something the "greatest singer/songwriter of a generation" (as Gaga pointed out herself in Vogue) should put out in good conscience. It's a basic song that used the entire melody of Express Yourself as a blueprint. I'm sure Gaga's little monsters adore this song, but the vast majority of listeners see something basic and uncreative. Here's to hoping Gaga redeems herself and her image of being original with her next single.

cindy February 15, 2011 | 10:42 AM

No matter what Lady Gaga is still a Madonna clone whether Madonna approves or not and the song still is not good. It's all hype with Gaga.

Maranda February 15, 2011 | 10:40 AM

I fail to see how this reconciles the disappointment in the track. Gaga and her people hyped everyone up for an "anthem of this generation" and that it would be a masterpiece and revolutionary. What did we get instead? A throwback to another artist's pop hit. This seems like back-peddling to me, and a way for Gaga to get some heat off of her back. Whether the sample was sanctioned or not, the song is still unoriginal and not nearly as epic as was promised. I don't think the vast majority of people will move on as this has shown that maybe Gaga isn't as original as she has portrayed herself to be, nor as great a singer/songwriter as she told Vogue she was.