Pattinson In
Buckley Biopic?

You've seen Robert Pattinson bite necks and gaze longingly into the eyes of Kristen Stewart in the Twilight movies. You've seen him killed by He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named in Harry Potter. So, what do you think about hearing him sing? Robert Pattinson is reportedly itching to play the late singer Jeff Buckley in a biopic.

Robert Pattinson

Yes, we might get a chance to hear the dulcet tones of the dreamy-eyed Robert Pattinson in the near future.

The Daily Express is reporting that Twilight star Pattinson is keen to play the late singer Jeff Buckley who tragically drowned at age 30 in 1997.

In case you were wondering, cops found no traces of drugs or alcohol in Buckley's system. His gorgeous voice singing his rendition of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah is an unforgettable piece of music history, and his album Grace was featured in Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. Bob Dylan called Buckley "one of the greatest songwriters of his decade."

On May 29, 1997, Buckley accidentally drowned in the Wolf Harbor River in Memphis, Tennessee where he was recording new material.

A source told the paper, "Rob is obsessed with this project and is doing everything he can to land the part. He has already told his business team this is his passion and they agree it could be the film that makes him a legitimate Oscar contender."

Michelle Sy, who is producing the film, is aware of his interest. Pattinson has written songs that, as Twilighters know, have been featured on the soundtracks for the vampire films. Pattinson's competition? Reportedly, it's Jared Leto, James Franco and James Marsden.

So, who would you guys like to see play the talented Jeff Buckley? Let us know below.

Tags: jeff buckley

Comments

Comments on "Robert Pattinson wants to play Jeff Buckley"

Jessica March 02, 2011 | 7:07 PM

Whoever plays Jeff has to not only capture the essence of him as one of the greatest artist of all time but also him as this mysterious, soft spoken but also outspoken person. I don't think Pattinson has the acting chops to portray Jeff. Out of the actors listed I think Franco is the best fit, but whoever plays him I don't think will be able to do him complete justice, but Franco should come damn close.

Jorge January 27, 2011 | 6:30 AM

The point is to give the Biopic no room for critism before hand. And having Rob play Jeff is not only Haste but unimaginative to all the people who actually lived with and cried to his records. I for one as a an embarrassed to admit full fledged buckley devoted and obsessed fan, i would be so F'in upset if i have to sit and listen to jittery girls when Rob takes the screen, completely taking away from Jeff's marvel of talent and short lived career. Make the right move Mary

Ersatz January 25, 2011 | 1:41 AM

I think Reeve Carney is better candidate than any of the actors mentioned. He has a great voice.

angela January 24, 2011 | 8:35 PM

Robert's voice is amazing. The fact that he plays a vampire in Twilight should have nothing to do with his consideration for this role. And if you've ever heard Rob's music, you would know that he sings a lot like Jeff Buckley. "Let me sign" or "Never think"-listen to these songs and then say that Rob can't play this role to perfection..

Caro January 24, 2011 | 1:49 PM

I'd rather dig out my eyeballs with a spoon than watch some glittery vampire play Jeff Buckley. This might be the worst casting idea I've ever heard.

ec January 24, 2011 | 1:19 PM

I think James Franco would be amazing in this role...

Michele January 24, 2011 | 12:40 PM

I think he'd be perfect in the role. Jeff Buckley was the same sort of artsy type, talented, creative musician. I don't think (from what I've read about Rob) that the Oscar contender thing would be as important to him as that this would be a project he would really connect with. I hope he gets it.