CMA's Christmas Classics

Sugarland's Jennifer Nettles hosted the first ever CMA Country Christmas last night, kicking off the holiday season with songs, memories and laughter with the likes of Kellie Pickler, Martina McBride, Brad Paisley and more.

With Thanksgiving over, many have already decked their halls and decorated their yards for the upcoming Christmas holiday. A crew of country faves got together to make the season official with a 90-minute hoedown that included rocking performances tempered with fireside family chats, holiday cheer and Christmas memories.

CMA Country Christmas

The CMA Christmas special was actually filmed the day after the 44th Annual CMA Awards, on November 11, when country's faves were already gathered in Nashville, and aired last night, November 29 on ABC.

Jennifer Nettles in a winter wonderland

As hostess of the first CMA Country Christmas, Jennifer Nettles got to show off several costumes, as well as perform a few songs.

"I think we have to slow down sometimes and really be able to appreciate the significance of certain moments," Nettles said during the show. "It is like anyone else's lives, when you get going on hyper speed sometimes you have to remind yourself to slow down and really take it in."

Nettles, Sugarland bandmate Kristian Bush and Little Big Town started the night with some Winter Wonderland magic. Sugarland also covered O Come, O Come, Emmanuel, while Little Big Town returned to perform Go Tell It on the Mountain. Kelly Pickler

Country stars sing Christmas classics

This year's country queen Martina McBride rocked Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and O Holy Night, while Darius Rucker sang a tune from his own repertoire, Candy Cane Christmas.

Rascal Flatts gave a shout-out to servicemen and their families with I'll Be Home for Christmas, which included video footage from Fort Campbell Air Force base. They also got the crowd on its feet for an a capella rendition of God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen.

Kellie Pickler wore a hot little red number for Santa Baby, while LeAnn Rimes got sexy for Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree with a host of hunky sailors. Rimes also went classic for White Christmas, shared childhood memories and even teared up when talking about the support she's received regarding her romance with Eddie Cibrian.

"Last year was a very difficult time for me," Rimes said. "I wanted to write all of my friends that stood by me this handwritten letter… just telling them how much I loved them."

Sheryl Crow and Brad Paisley teamed up for Run Run Rudolph, but it was the old clips of a 12-year-old Paisley performing his first original song, Born on Christmas Day, that brought the oohs and aahs. Paisley also performed What Child Is This and the three-time CMA awards host and Entertainer of the Year was sure to get in a few laughs, as well.

"The great thing about having kids is you can go to a toy store now and I don't feel like a weirdo," Paisley quipped.

Reba McEntire earned a whole new crowd of fans with her rendition of Here Comes Santa Claus, which was accompanied by a host of Santas handing out gifts for the little ones.

It was a holiday jamboree when everyone got together to close the night with Jingle Bell Rock.

Watch Reba McEntire perform Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

Comments

Comments on "CMA Country Christmas highlights"

Marcie December 03, 2013 | 6:53 PM

Who was that great male singer who was singing to a little girl at the first of the show? She was invited to the show and knew all his songs?

Becky Bacon January 13, 2013 | 1:06 PM

Best show ever!! Where can we purchase the music from this wonderful show?????

Jason December 08, 2011 | 1:22 AM

I agree with Steve about Loretta. It was a fantastic show and I too would purchase a cd/dcs of the program. Does anyone remember the two young artists that sang, one male and one female. They were fantastic. I have never heard of either of them before.

sharon peterson December 05, 2011 | 3:24 PM

Loved the show, is their a cd availble to purchase

Robert December 22, 2010 | 9:02 PM

I would buy this on cd and DVD in a heart beat

Eileen December 03, 2010 | 9:43 AM

Great show! Loved everyone. I also agree, that a CD would be a great gift idea. Again, loved the show.

Charlie December 02, 2010 | 1:41 PM

Boy , did I ever miss a great show am 88 years young , and the wounderful rendition of Rockin Round The Christmas Tree ( I did not get her name darn-it ) REALY had my foot a-tapin . PLEASE TELL ME WHERE I CAN GET A COPY OF IT , and/or THE WHOLE SHOW . P L E A S E ...

cindy December 02, 2010 | 9:12 AM

I forgot to tape the program!!! Will it reair?>??

Holli December 01, 2010 | 8:45 AM

I missed it -will it reair??? CMA Country Christmas -

mason young December 01, 2010 | 8:43 AM

please let us know when a dvd will be available for this xmas special

Jan December 01, 2010 | 8:11 AM

Loved this show! Darius Rucker's Candy Cane Christmas is great! Kellie Pickler was adorable and I am now a fan of Jennifer Nettles. I agree with Linda - CMA should put out a CD and DVD of this music and show. Everyone was great. Wish I had taped it!

Llinda December 01, 2010 | 4:33 AM

Would Love to have a CD of all the music performed that night....was one of the most wonderful shows!!!!!

Karen December 01, 2010 | 1:08 AM

I loved the show, Jennifer Nettles did a great job hosting it. And I loved both of Sugarland's performances, as well as the others. It really got you in the holiday spirit!

Steve November 30, 2010 | 10:22 PM

The show was great. I was saddened that Loretta Lynn didn't even get a mention. She is a woman who's music has crossed musical and cultural boundries for decades. Does anyone agree with me?

Linda November 30, 2010 | 3:36 PM

Loved the Christmas show! CMA should put out a CD of all songs performed that night for purchase! It would be a great Christmas CD to have for the holidays.