Nancy Grace's
Secret Surgery

An emotional Nancy Grace called into her own show on Monday, November 29 and shared the news that she is recovering from surgery and a serious cancer scare.

Nancy Grace

"A lot has happened in the last two weeks," Nancy Grace said via telephone. "I was on the air just a few weeks ago and just celebrated John David and Lucy's third birthday, and we were so happy. The next day I had a doctor's appointment."

Doctors found a mass

Grace considered skipping her pesky date with the gynecologist. It was a "routine" appointment just a few months after her last one. A "hunch" convinced her to follow through, however, and as it turned out, a nurse spotted something during Grace's ultrasound.

"It's that moment that you see in movies and you hear about that always happens to someone else, but not you," Grace recalled. "We were talking about where our children might go to school and all of a sudden, she stopped talking."

After Grace's doctor had a look, he moved the conversation to his office.

"He told me they had discovered a solid mass and it could be cancer," shared Grace. "It just seemed like the world just stopped."

Of course, the world never stops and Grace fulfilled her hosting duties on HLN for a week, while anxiously awaiting surgery.

Grace checked into Northside Hospital in Georgia on Tuesday, November 23. There were complications during surgery, but the solid mass that caused the scare was not malignant and Grace is on the mend.

Grace urges women to get checked

During her emotional call into her show, Grace spoke of her fears, as well as the support she received from family and prayer. She also urged women to keep up on their checkups.

"Please, ladies, go to your doctors," Grace said. "I was the lucky one."

Nancy Grace's doctor warned she will be out for "a long, long time," but Grace has "faith" she'll be back at work next Monday.

More Nancy Grace:

Nancy Grace rips Jon Gosselin a new one

Nancy Grace's pregnancy

Nancy Grace reveals her own secrets

Comments

Comments on "Nancy Grace: Surgery revealed no cancer"

Iris March 25, 2014 | 11:40 PM

Why didn't she questions her GYNs on the odds instead of falling for the cancer scare and having a surgery that will affect her entire life? Women don't follow this example. Always find out the odds before you have a hysterectomy or surgery and ask for other treatment options first rather than having your organs removed. Masses can be removed without the removing the organs. Obviously even Nancy Grace did not give an informed consent. Best of luck to her in her life changes and her life effects of the surgery.

Joan February 25, 2011 | 9:07 PM

I respect everyone, however, I had colon cancer and a full hysterectomy in august. I had a 4 1/2" tumor in my colon. I had 7 organs removed in Boston, one of the best cities in the world to have cancer. All in all I was in there for 21 days, but doctors still expected that I could probably try to return to work in 7 weeks. This lady Nancy Grace is a joker. She was sobbing and crying about an extended leave and essentially said nothing was wrong with her. I find her to be rude, unlikeable, full of self pity, and most of all judgmental. I can't imagine what kind of man would marry her- what a nightmare!! However, I'm glad she did not have cancer!

christina February 07, 2011 | 6:38 AM

Where was the mass? Was it in the uterus, ovaries etc.? I think women could understand better if we knew what kind of "potential cancer" was suspected due to the "mass". Get well soon Nancy!

Phyllis Hall February 07, 2011 | 5:49 AM

I am so glad that Nancy had a postive outcome to her surgery. I hope that she can use her celebrity status to send the message to women every where to be pro active with their health care. I had surgery for ovarian cancer did not realize that I had it. It is a stage 2. I had been to my obgyn and the tumor was not found through the regular exam. I hope that Nancy will add this as a part of her program to urge women to act on hunches that they feel about their health. Especially for ovarian cancer, I could not determine where she had the mass.

D RODRIGUEZ December 06, 2010 | 9:49 PM

nancy i pray for your speedy recovery you will be ok god as everything in control dont worry.

Arlene December 04, 2010 | 11:21 PM

I wish you a speedy recovery. I can't believe some of the things being posted here. If people don't like your show, they should stop watching. I understand that times are tough and people are angry. I am one of the unemployed, uninsured people like so many others but that is no reason to be hateful. Take time to heal. Be well.

carol December 04, 2010 | 10:22 PM

after various treatments and visits to doctors, and surgery, we found out the doctors and techs didnt read reports well enough..i had been misdiagnosed for 1 1/2 years.! It was finally discovered i had a rare type of colon cancer and was in final stage. i had to have large section of colon removed, and was told to take at least two months off work for healing, and to begin with chemo... my employer ok'd everthything (wished me well, said my job was secure etc) well, i was to be off work at least two months but after three weeks i called and requested to return to work.....my employer fired me. he told me "its business, not personal". please, have a back up plan, including savings. we are losing our home, car, everything! i worked there 6 years...and just finishing with chemo and having to look for work in this economy and my medical background scares potential employers.if you dont like answers or stall tactics by drs get online and find info....or see another dr. i would be did if i waited another two months......my symptoms were migraine headaches and being tired...nothin else. if you know you are ill....get blood tests, go online and review your results compared to :typical"

Ron December 04, 2010 | 10:15 PM

She is full of *&%! Another publicity stunt. You can hear it in her voice. Poor Nancy. Mark my words it's not cancer!!

Teresa December 04, 2010 | 7:27 PM

I thought I was having a kidney stone attack and ended up in the ER where they found that I had a mass the size of a grapefruit. I was very lucky to have an awesome Doctor that immediately scheduled surgery and had the lab in the operating room to determine if the mass was cancer. The surgery was 2 weeks after first diagnosed and on the day of surgery the mass had grown to the size of a small basketball. I was very lucky to have this caught and removed. I had a complete hysterectomy on a Monday, out of the hospital by Wednesday and back at work within 4 weeks. I cannot tell you how truly blessed I feel and women do need to be checked. However, I had my annual physical, the type of tumor or mass I had is very fast growing, so it would not have been caught with the physical. If women feel pressure in lower back, please request an ultra sound. It saved me...Good luck Nancy, I hope that you have the same quick recovery that I did and get up and walk, walk, walk!!! It truly helps the recovery...God Bless!!!

Nina December 04, 2010 | 7:27 PM

Right on Debbie. Yeah Nancy, why don't you now figh for health care for all. You ac as if you are so special, and that you should be treated differently! Well, you are not; and even though I am happy for your health, let this be a cause to think of others who have no insurance and are in a worse situation than you are ms.

irene siegal December 04, 2010 | 6:54 PM

hi nancy, so glad you got good news about it not being cancer, i've had two bouts with cancer and it is pretty tough to go through, but you have to be a fighter, which I am. have a speedy recovery. I look forwar to seeing you soon on the air.

JOYCE LOWER December 04, 2010 | 5:50 PM

LOVE YOU NANCY.I;AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU.I;AM A 58 YEAR OLD WOMEN. I TAKE CARE OF THE ELEDRY.I HAVE FOR YEARS.I CAN NOT AFFORD INSURANCE .SO ICAN NOT GET PAP SEARS OR BREAST XRAYS.MY HUSBAND IS DISABLE. IHAVE WORK FOR 12 YEARS. IT TAKE ALL MY MONEY FOR BILLS. ICANNOT GET HELP .THEY SAID I MAKE TO MUCH.MAYBE NANCY CAN FIND OUT WHY HARD WORKING WOMEN CAN NOT GET ANY HELP IN FLORIDA.GOD BLESS YOU NANCY. IT WILL BE ALRIGHT.TAKE CARE.

Mike Anderson December 04, 2010 | 5:45 PM

This shameless devil - nancy grace. She AFTER learning it was a benign mass - sobs and wallows. She is everything thats pure evil. Shame. Shameless. Pure Evil Woman. Devil. Move over O.J Simpson, meet your female equal. Self-absorbed hater.

Linda N Murray December 04, 2010 | 5:40 PM

I'm praying that you have a speedy recovery Nancy and thank god it wasn't cancer...I went through the same thing 1 yr ago and it was the worst feeling ever, but when they found the mass all I heard was it's cancer but it wasn't...I can't wait to see you back on TV with a nice smile..

goonhee December 04, 2010 | 1:02 PM

All I have to say for this despicable human being is that I have more compassion for her than what she shows when she acts as jury and judge for people that have been accused or suspected of crimes, all in the pursuit of ratings and money in her pockets. Her audience, based on the few times I have watched her, are mainly uneducated Jesus freak cretins. I am glad she is not seriously ill, but remember maam, "God don't like ugly".

Carol Turcotte December 04, 2010 | 9:49 AM

Nancy I am so glad your surgery was a great success. I watch you show every night, you tell it like it is and that is great. Enjoy your children and watch them grow and be happy. Carol

joja December 03, 2010 | 7:42 AM

im so happy your doing well.when i heard about it on cnn i was so devistated i juss couldnt believe i actually passed the channel and when i saw that it said"nancy grace" on phone i was like whatt! i couldnt belive it,i hope your doing well,and get better,ive been a fan for about 1 year now and im 16,you do such a great job.

Lynn December 02, 2010 | 10:14 PM

I have been enjoying substitute host Jeanne Casaris. She seems much sweeter, is nicer to callers and the guests, and just is more genuine than Nancy. And I say that as a fan of her show, I try to watch most nights. Wish Nancy would take a couple of pointers from Jeanne, and be a little classier and more dignified. And I hope Nancy doesn't get overly melodramatic, display crocodile tears, and put on during Monday's show (in the retelling of her ordeal), if that's when she comes back. That said, I'm glad you are ok, and the "mass" was not cancerous.

olivia December 02, 2010 | 2:43 PM

yes what part of the body was the mass removed from was it the uterus ? Was it caused by child birth as i thought i heard somewhere? BEST OF LUCK NANCY!

patrick December 01, 2010 | 10:40 AM

She is still a royal B!@ch!!!