Gretchen Beats Andy & Mondo

The Project Runway season eight finale crowned Gretchen Jones the winner, over fan favorite Mondo Guerra. Did the judges get it right?

Gretchen wins Project Runway 8

Designer Gretchen Jones beat out Mondo Guerra and Andy South in last night's finale of Project Runway, leaving many fans surprised.

The collections

Gretchen Jones' final collection consisted of bohemian designs with neutral shades that earned her high praise from judges Michael Kors, Nina Garcia, guest judge Jessica Simpson and Heidi Klum, who called her collection "polished."

Mondo, who many thought would win Project Runway, showcased his final collection of his signature bold prints and colors earning him the second place spot, while Andy South came in third.

Judges Klum and Simpson loved Mondo's collection, however, Garcia and Kors thought it was too costume-like. "I personally would buy more pieces from Mondo," said Simpson. "I don't think it looked like a circus."

Did the right designer win?

After heated debate and what judges called the "toughest decision in Project Runway history," Klum announced Gretchen as the winner of season eight Project Runway. They said her collection was on-trend and sellable.

"My God, I needed this so bad, in so many different ways," Gretchen said, in tears. "And I certainly know that Mondo and I gave them hell. Now I truly feel like I'm supposed to be doing what I'm doing."

Mondo took his loss well. "I honestly believe everything happens for a reason," Mondo said. "I didn't win Project Runway but I won so much more."

Project Runway judges

The loot

Gretchen Jones, 28, wins $100,000 from L'Oreal Paris to help start her own fashion line, as well as a fashion spread in Marie Claire magazine. She will also win a $50,000 technology suite by HP and Intel to help her run her business and she will be selling her line on Piperlime.com.

Gretchen's model, Millana Snow, gets to appear in the Marie Claire editorial feature and will win $25,000 from L'Oreal Studio Secrets Professional.

It also sounds like Gretchen already has a celebrity fan -- Ashlee Simpson. "Your designs are amazing and I can't wait to buy them," said Jessica Simpson, "and I know that my sister [Ashlee Simpson] is going to rock them impeccably."

Tell us: Do you think Mondo or Andy should have won?

More Project Runway:

Jessica Simpson surprise celebrity judge on Project Runway finale
Project Runway: A surprising HIV revelation
Project Runway recap: The pressure is on

Tags: gretchen jones mondo

Comments

Comments on "Gretchen Jones wins Project Runway 8"

Sad for Michael c July 09, 2011 | 5:15 AM

I watched the end in fast forward when I realized the Gretch might win. I didn't want to hear the final comments. So what is Project Runway about? The next big fashion designer or who can design bland stuff that Nina can sell her mag and Michael could imagine to be " of the moment?" Perhaps a moment on Mars. The Gretch did herself a big favor by deliberating being so different from the others -- it made her stand out even though she lacked originality. Michael C was ripped off -- they dashed him for having a monochromatic 3 samples of his line -- look at Andy's work! Gray all over! And the Gretch's in poo-poo 70s brown. This was such a disappointing ending.

Susanna Monne November 07, 2010 | 3:45 PM

sorry I wrote wrong the website name is www.tvshowboycott

Susanna Monne November 07, 2010 | 3:42 PM

This entire season became one big disappointment to me. I noticed there is PR boycott website up www.tvshowboycott it's interesting how many people lost trust in this show and ready to boycott anything that has to do with it. It's sad how two people could ruin the entire show.

Donna November 03, 2010 | 8:18 PM

While Nina and Michael say her stuff is "now" and "on trend" i.e., sellable....I don't get it. I thought it was regurgitated 70s done badly. I dressed in those styles in the 70s, but we had color and print...paisley, flowers, brights and neons...not brown monotones. Also, we had hotpants...they were shocking at the time...and they weren't brown and diapery looking. I've seen many comments that her clothes are for older women and grandmas...I can't imagine myself, at 50, wearing that crap. I could see myself, however, wearing Mondo's collection. It was chic, charming, playful and fun...but some could also be worn to the work office...or a fun outing. The polka dot gown...I loved it; I wish I had the body to pull that look off. Project Runway got it wrong. I won't even go into that woman's horrible personality and backbiting comments. She'll go nowhere, fast.

issahanna November 03, 2010 | 4:25 PM

Mondo so should have one Gretshen's was soooooooooo 80's Mondos was sooooooooooooooo much better Gretchen's looked like potato sacks and daipers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trixie November 03, 2010 | 9:28 AM

Gretchen totally deserved to win. Yeah, she was a rude person, but her talents are what is important to focus on in a fashion competition.

Julie D November 03, 2010 | 5:23 AM

I believe the word this year is "sellable" to Macy's. Kors is selling there and so is Jessica Simpson. Something is amiss Michael, Mondo, and Andy all had clothes I would buy. Never did Gretchen's clothes interest me.

Ptrap November 02, 2010 | 12:52 PM

The only accessory missing from gretchens models was a broom.

Jess. November 01, 2010 | 11:27 PM

Gretchen, FAIL (write in to the network, etc -- make yourself heard): http://jesscscott.wordpress/2010/10/29/project-runway-gretchen-fail/

Sarah November 01, 2010 | 6:57 PM

Mondo was robbed. Gretchen has no humility and no tact. Her clothes are pretty, but I'd never consider them fashion forward. All those prints were so dated. I will never want to wear her clothes based purely on the fact she is so full of herself and has no real regard for anyone but herself. I agree Michael and Nina need to go.

Laura November 01, 2010 | 2:28 PM

I love Mondo, want to drive to Colorado just to hang out with him. He is insanely talented. Gretchen was irritating to listen to, but I would pick her clothes to wear out of all of them. She was humbled after Tim called her out on being a bully.

Lisa November 01, 2010 | 12:54 PM

BTW.. the fashion show will be airing soon on bravo. It is Isaac Mizrahi's answer to Project Runway. I think it is well done and last years designers were very talented.

Lisa November 01, 2010 | 12:47 PM

Brilliant. Project Runway scored big by selecting Gretchen the winner, er whiner. Look at the publicity they have received over this. The controversy! The sham! The dollars lining the bank account. The sacrifice? Mondo, Andy and all that come after. No one will ever trust the judges again. Did they vote their conscious or with their pocketbook. Nina and Michael kors need to go.. anyone who feels brown panties are fashion forward needs another job.

Marie October 31, 2010 | 8:03 PM

I don't think Gretchen should have won. Her mix of prints was no match for Mondo's. I think if Seth Aaron had not won last season, Mondo would have taken the title this season. Their collections were very close to each other's, like Nina had said. Michael Kors is a bully, and Gretchen's attitude towards the other designers (mainly Michael C) just made her an ugly person. Mondo is the winner in my eyes!

Tess October 30, 2010 | 1:19 PM

I would pick Andy's clothes to wear and Mondo to be the winner for Project Runway, mainly because he was the most innovative and intriguing. When Gretchen won the first two contests I wondered why I was not "getting it'". In the late 70's-80's I was wearing innovative clothes and these designs (the Gretchen look) were the clothes I avoided...Office/secretary conservative clothes, which were depressing and one dimensional (except for those cool long pants she designed) Disappointing. Depressing. Kors and Nina lost my respect.

Julie October 30, 2010 | 1:11 AM

I never knew that Michael Kors could be such a bully! I had no more respect for him at all. Please, someone, start another Project Runway, where the judges are always fair, and all the iest contestants are eliminated first!

Julie October 30, 2010 | 1:00 AM

It seems to me that Nina Garcia and Michael Kors have clearly lost their minds. There is nothing inspiring about Gretchen - can't stand the woman and cannot stand the clothes! I will never purchase any clothing remotely associated with her. I do wish Mondo and Andy well, as well as Michael Costello. I hope the three of them will prosper. I wish there were another show like Project Runway, because I can no longer watch this one. Nina Garcia and Michael Kors make me sick!

Karen October 29, 2010 | 8:29 PM

I think Mondo's collection was unique. He is able to incorporate his own style into basically any vision whether it was a Jackie O style... current or future trends and still remain "Mondo" as he proved throughout the show. He definitely has a flair...the kind that will SELL CLOTHES...I feel very grateful to have watched him evolve on this episode and am positive his designs and name will be a fashion household name...you go MONDO...you really won also.

Cheri October 29, 2010 | 1:11 PM

All throughout the season, Gretchen's attitude made her ugly. Even setting aside personality though, I like the final collections of Andy, Mondo and Michael C. much MUCH better than hers.

Andy October 29, 2010 | 12:52 PM

Mondo should have won definitely. Gretchen's stuff looked so drab and uninspiring and it looked like you could buy half of her clothes at Chicos sorry.