Sister Wives Employment Sexism

One of the stars of the controversial reality show Sister Wives has lost her job, while the husband was given full support at his.

The family of the disturbingly fascinating reality show Sister Wives braced themselves for the scrutiny that came along with publicizing their once-secret lifestyle, but there was one thing they weren't prepared for: Meri was fired from her job as a mental health professional.

Sisterwives

"They felt that they needed to protect the company, I think," Meri said. "It actually makes me really sad because I loved my job. It breaks my heart, definitely. But I understand where they're coming from."

Interestingly, Kody Brown had the exact opposite experience at his job. "I've been in this career for about 10 years, and I've been fairly private about it," Brown said. "I had good friends. They understood me, and I was their token polygamist friend. Eventually, the entire company found out that I was [a polygamist], and the tolerance and acceptance has been beautiful."

Maybe he can get Meri a job.

So tell us: Is this a case of blatant sexism -- a woman gets punished for doing the same thing a man is rewarded for -- or are Meri's former employers the only sane ones in this story?

Tags: kody brown meri brown

Comments

Comments on "Sister Wives: Sexism in the workplace?"

mlb October 31, 2010 | 6:41 AM

The judgment of people in general is so outrageous. Stand back people, we all own a mirror and look deep. Who are you to judge what others do. I intentionally have no religion. I do my best not to judge anyone for choices they make, faith based or not. When I do see religion running someones life and they make every decision in their power that refutes what they preach, that's a plain hypocrite, not a religious person, not a person, not a polygamous, its a hypocrite. Before you judge Meri, the dude, or whomever, remember, you too have your own persona that is being judge. Meri must have been an asset to her mental health profession and based on how she speaks fondly of it, enjoyed it and did a good job, why should her professional career suffer. Of all professions, she was trained not to judge. It appears all training, commitment and hard work was all for naught she was judged based on a choice. We are fortunate to have choices. There have been links to cults and polygamy, however, is that to say that every Catholic priest rapes kids. Come on folks, think before you speak, question to yourself if you are judging someone and make some educated formulations based on such.

Jennifer October 30, 2010 | 1:05 AM

Mary in Boston ... I don't know if mental health clinics have any more reason to keep on employees living alternative life styles or not. However, I do believe that every employer has the right to fire any employee (in any field) who brings negative and unwanted attention on themselves and the empoyeer. I think going on a national television show flaunting the fact that you are happy to disobey the law brings unwanted attention to yourself and your employer.

Jennifer October 30, 2010 | 12:56 AM

Alicia, you are right ... what happens in a person's private life should be private. Has it escaped your notice, however, that these people choose to make their private lives absolutely public by going on NATIONAL TELEVISION???? I guess that kind of eliminates their claim to privacy and allows any and all to have an opinion on their lifestyle.

Mike October 28, 2010 | 1:46 PM

I think it's so unbelievably hypocritical that so many people stand back and say homouality should be not only tolerated but celebrated, respected and be provided the same rights as a normal relationship. So it's okay for people to engage in relationships that are completely biologically unnatural but people that choose plural wives are looked at so negatively. I have nothing against s, I'm just saying it's hypocritical for people to say one is okay but not the other... Can't wait to see the hypocrisy really fly. Fire away...

Jessica October 27, 2010 | 2:34 PM

Do you people have any idea how emotionally damaging to women and children the polygamist lifestyle is? There's a reason it's illegal. Regardless of the fact that this guy is only legally married to one of the women, the way the law in their state is written he is still breaking the law because he is living with more than one person as his spouse. If you had ever actually watched this show you would see that the women are not fine with it. They are all extremely jealous and insecure about their relationship with their shared husband, and with good reason - as soon as he gets tired of one he'll just pay more attention to another. He also doesn't seem to care that his new wife wants fewer children than he does. Do a little research on the practice of polygamy in the US and you'll see how terrible it truly is. This isn't a bunch of hippies practicing free love. It's a cult.

Gail October 26, 2010 | 2:45 PM

I think its sad how judgemental people are .. Although their life is not one I would choose . I do believe that they have the right to do so .. They are a family doing the best they can for themselves & each other.. Its a shame she lost her job but many people are losing their jobs for many reasons did she loose her job for her lifestyle or for another reason.. If that is the reason then shame on them . but if its an easy out for her than shame on her

Megan October 26, 2010 | 2:15 PM

Tina, no one lets the Catholic Church rape their children. What you said is very offensive to a parent of a victim. Some catholics, as well as members of other religions, may choose to drink and gamble, but no one chooses or allows something bad to happen to their children. People should be able to belong any faith that best matches what they personally believe in without being criticized. You stand up for one way of life by putting down another?

Moi October 26, 2010 | 7:28 AM

You ought to see how much rape and child rape goes on in polygamy groups! If you're gonna complain about the Catholics ual predatory practices, you need to include other religious groups WITH them.

Karen October 25, 2010 | 3:14 PM

...I'm disgusted as well, actually. We live in the US where we give people all sorts of rights, we pride ourselves on protecting those who are discriminated against and we talk all the time about how open minded we are... And then someone decides they don't like the way another person is running their private life and suddenly they're wrong and bad, and how dare they? They support themselves and their family. They love each other, they're raising happy, well adjusted children. That's doing a hell of a lot more than most people in this country are. Just because they use religion to justify their lifestyle, and just because their lifestyle is different than other peoples does not give anyone the right to start slinging mud. I would expect more from the mental health field. There's room for all types of experiences there, and there's absolutely no legitimate reason to fire someone for being polygamous or for believing whatever flipping religion they want to believe in. I'm usually on the other side defending the alternate lifestyles that don't fall under religion... but this still deeply disappoints me.

Mary in Boston October 25, 2010 | 2:47 PM

The mental health field, even more than other fields, should be open to many kinds of "marriages" and lifestyle choices. Would they fire an employee because he or she was in a marriage? Would they fire a married employee who had an open marriage where there were many partners of the opposite at the same time? If women like Meri stay active in the mental health field, they can be of particular help to women clients who also might be in a polygamous relationship. Does this mental health clinic turn down clients who practice polygamy or clients who are trying to leave it? If they take such clients, how can they justify firing their own employees who are involved in polygamy.

Tina October 25, 2010 | 2:43 PM

Why is polygamy disgusting? I think its disgusting that Catholics drink gamble and let the church rape their children.

Alicia October 25, 2010 | 12:20 PM

I think as long as you are a good person, your private life is just that- PRIVATE. These women willingly agreed to share a husband and as you hear, they wanted a family not just a husband & this lifestyle works for them. I am a married mother of one, whom loves her husband and could never share him. But I don't think it's right of me to tell someone else how they should live their life or even feel for that matter. They aren't hurting anyone and they are all dealing with the ups and downs of life together... more support to them!!! I love the show for the reality aspect, they aren't pushing it in your face, they are just living and asking to be accepted, understood... not for you to join their church or family. :)

Neylan October 25, 2010 | 11:32 AM

Who are we to judge when Jacob had in fact several wives in the bible and as of yet...I have not found one thing that says verbatum in the bible that a Man could not have more than one wife. I'm not a mormon nor am I a polygamist. Its not a lifestyle my husband and I have chosen. But Be careful of harsh words. you will stand before the throne and answer for them.

Joan October 25, 2010 | 11:26 AM

They should all be fired. The lifestyle these people lead is disgusting and their kids are the ones getting hurt. Can you imagine your daughter growing up to think it is okay to share her husband's love with three other women?