The Talk hosts talk shop

Six Celeb Moms Talk "The Talk"

Julie Chen, Sara Gilbert, Marissa Jaret Winokur, Sharon Osbourne, Leah Remini and Holly Robinson Peete are taking on daytime with The Talk, a new daily chat show premiering Monday, October 18 on CBS. SheKnows got the scoop on what to expect straight from The Talk hosts themselves.

Celeb moms Julie Chen, Sara Gilbert, Marissa Jaret Winokur, Sharon Osbourne, Leah Remini and Holly Robinson Peete promise to tackle all the hot topics and insist The Talk isn't just a show for moms.

The Talk cast on set

The Talk of The Talk

SheKnows: Sara Gilbert, when you were developing The Talk as exec producer, did you amp up the mommy angle to try to differentiate it from The View?

Sara Gilbert: No, this came from an organic place for me. I was a new mom [and] I was feeling overwhelmed. Was I giving the baby enough? Was I giving my son enough attention? I started going to this mom group and it was like a light bulb. I thought, "What if there were a show where a bunch of women sat together and talked about the world through that perspective?"

Sara GilbertJulie Chen: But I want to be clear on something: This is not a show that's just for moms. When you tune into it, you're seeing six women from totally different walks of life talking about what everyone is buzzing about, from Mel Gibson to the Arizona immigration law. We don't have an edit button. We're not here to judge each other. We're not here to give advice.

Leah Remini: We'll probably judge each other, but we'll say it to each other on the air. Sara's already made me feel like crap for giving my kids sugar, so it's already begun.

A Talk soup

SheKnows: Will all six of you be on The Talk every day?

Sara Gilbert: Five of us are planning to be on the panel every day. Marissa will be in the field more and then come in to discuss certain topics.

Julie ChenSheKnows: How will you avoid the problem of over-talking, which is so prevalent on The View?

Julie Chen: Like that [covers Leah's mouth].

Sara Gilbert: For some reason, we just seem to not talk over each other too much. There's a good chemistry. We've been respecting each other.

Leah Remini: As things get heated in the moment, it will be a lot of, "Let me say something," as opposed to, "Ra, ra, ra."

The Talk protocol

Sara Gilbert: And we've talked about, "It's okay to interrupt each other. Let's try not to stampede over one another."

SheKnows: Are you prepared to share opinions that are not necessarily popular?

Sharon OsbourneSharon Osbourne: I'm not running for mayor, so I don't care what people think of my point of view.

Leah Remini: Every one of us feels righteous in what we think, but what's great about having a real friendship is we can argue those points. Having those conversations with somebody who is not on the Internet, [where people] talk crap about people without having to face them, is very different from being able to bounce things off of your friends.

Marissa Jaret Winokur: My first year with my son was difficult. It's not popular to say that, but it's important to hear someone say, "You know what? That first year, I was so overwhelmed. I sat in my bathroom and I cried every night." Moms sitting home feeling that same way can go, "Maybe there's nothing wrong with me."

The Talk takes sides?

SheKnows: CBS president Nina Tassler said Sharon represents the conservative viewpoint, with an assist from Holly. Do you see it that way?

Leah ReminiSharon Osbourne: I don't. I'm a very tolerant, liberal woman, but when it comes to kids, I am very conservative. You learn through your mistakes.

SheKnows: Sara, the initial The Talk press release didn't mention your partner, even though everyone else's husband was listed. Were you trying to avoid the lesbian issue?

Sara Gilbert: I've been acting my whole life and I've never discussed my personal life. This is a talk show, so obviously, I'm going to be discussing my life more and I felt that the first place I wanted to do it wasn't in a CBS press release. It just seemed impersonal. I am who I am and when topics come up that are appropriate, I'll talk about them and share.

SheKnows: Leah, this will be the first time a member of the Church of Scientology will get personal and share her life-views. How much do you expect your religion to play a role in the discussions?

Holly Robinson PeeteLeah Remini: None at all. My job is my job. What I do, I do because I love. In this format, I love that I'm able to maybe help women hear a story that makes them laugh. That other thing is not even part of my discussion.

The Talk's broad strokes

Sara Gilbert: It's dangerous to look at people through one lens and say, "Oh, that's the thing they are going to represent." Leah is a brilliantly funny, real, dynamic person and that's what she's going to bring.

Leah Remini: Thank you. The thing we are focusing on is that we're moms, that we all have relationships and that we all have the same trials and tribulations that a relationship goes through. That's why I love this show. I wasn't finding an outlet, other than my very close friends, to have these conversations.

Marissa Jaret WinokurSheKnows: Here's a test run question: Any thoughts on Bristol Palin's vow of celibacy before she gets married?

Marissa Jaret Winokur: It's a little late.

Leah Remini: Yeah. Why now? I don't even get it.

Sharon Osbourne: Is that a joke?

Julie Chen: I'm rolling my eyes.

Sara Gilbert: The only thing I could say is if somebody would watch that and be inspired to follow her lead, maybe it could have some value.

Julie Chen: That's why we have Sara.

Tags: julie chen marissa jaret winokur

Comments

Comments on "The Talk hosts talk shop"

monna jacob June 25, 2013 | 11:32 AM

I want to say, I will miss Julie Chen on "The Talk". She is classey, and made the show great. Wish she were back. Miss her. Liked her, and again, she is "class". Monna Jacob

Barbara Gordon January 31, 2012 | 7:42 PM

1/31/2012 Thisshow is a train wreck. Do us a favor a revamp with Sara, and none of the other "stars". Too much to bear, though it is good for an occasional good laugh. (i.e. Julie, you are over the top, along with Sheryl and other new girl, sorry, can't remember her name)

b. roberts December 16, 2011 | 10:13 AM

i hate the talk now since holly and leah are not there. originally i thought they each complimented each other; but now...what the heck is going on? they stink!!!!

Bev Barnes September 20, 2011 | 10:05 AM

I no longer watch the show without Leah and Holly. They made the show.

Debra Inglerock September 12, 2011 | 2:04 PM

What has happened to Leah Remini and Holly Robinson-Pete on the Talk. Will they be back on the show. It is not the same and I believe the viewers deserve some type of explanation as to what is going on. Show is definitely the same without them nor would it be without Sharon Osbourne. They all made a good team. The new people do not fit in as well as Leah and Holly did.

Salena Stokley September 06, 2011 | 12:05 PM

What happened this season to Holly Robinson-Pete and Leah Remini? There was no explanation at all as to why they were not on the show any longer. I checked out the website and it just shows ONLY Sara Gilbert, Julie Chen and Sharon Osbourne as the show hosts. What is going on?

MARIE September 01, 2011 | 11:29 AM

SHOW WILL NOT BE THE SAME WITHOUT, LEAH REMINI AND HOLLY ROBINSON PEETE AND TO REPLACE THEM W/KATE G. THAT STINKS NO LONGER WILL WATCH THE SHOW BECAUSE LEAH & HOLLY BROUGHT ALL THE LAUGHS TO THE SHOW.

Howard Shephard August 08, 2011 | 11:37 AM

Take a look at the book Dad's Birthday Present. A happy family book about a relationship between a dad and his son. Great children's book about a good family relationship and the part dad plays. Check it out on your Barnes & Noble Nook.

Rebecca July 26, 2011 | 2:36 PM

The Talk is one of my very favorite shows. I'm thrilled to see Julie in her own show. She has class, beauty, brains and every thing else to make her a winner. Sarah, Sharon & Holly are super also. But todays show with Leah going crazy was the worst. She's not easy to put up with on regular days but today was way OVER BOARD!!! All her laughing and going on about who knows what, (I can't always get the comments the ladies make on the sideline) and carrying on in the audience. I guess the people there where into it because they could see & hear what's happening but from the TV I was two seconds from changing channels. If it happens again I'm done with the show!!! The other four ladies are so intelligent and fun to listen and see!!!! They all seem to take their turns except Leah. Hope this issue can be addressed !!!!! Thank you for your time.

Chris May 13, 2011 | 4:51 PM

Could we have some coments on the Mom in the news who is giving her 8 year old daughter Botox injections? I think it's child abuse.

Lauren Stone April 20, 2011 | 11:39 AM

WHERE IS SHARON OSBOURNE?????? Today is Wednesday 4/20/2011. I hope she will return. She is much needed and appreciated.

rita April 13, 2011 | 12:57 PM

my question is to holly the day care my grandson goes to think he has autism my daughter cant get a medicade card for him because they say she makes to much money altho they can barely pay there bills is there any program thats free or low cost where they can take him to be tested

Mary March 07, 2011 | 4:00 PM

Why does Leah have so much animosity toward Holly? One minute she pretends they are great friends and the next minutes Leah is dissing Holly. Today, it was the lack of food at Holly's party. I'm not sure what went on there and at one point Holly said there was plenty of cheese pizza. It's just not something that should be said on TV and it appeared to come from an ugly place. It was so uncalled for. Leah, get a grip. Hang in there Holly and stay strong. I realize it's hard to have to fight Sharon and Sarah at the same time in an underlying manner. I'm glad to see Sarah starting to say a bit more. It's nice to listen to someone speak calmly and logically. Overall, I love the show.

Barbara Johnson January 06, 2011 | 2:29 PM

I'am trying to find your dance exercise that you did on Thursday with the Instrutor?

Wanda Lee November 08, 2010 | 9:27 PM

I was in the Hospital getting a surgery the day your show started, and taped all the shows until I could watch them. Sara I am so Happy to see you on this type of show I have wondered what happened to you. I am glad you grew up Happy. You are as shy as I thought you would be. Good Job on bringing this show to life. And then Leah I am so glad to see in real life you are just like the part of Carrie. My husband has stayed home with me for 2 weeks and he has now falling in Love with you too. He will shout out way to go Leah (IT IS FUNNY) he does not do that with any show. You 2 keep up the good work and I am looking forward to watching you on a daily basis. Your show will be taped every day in my house. Leah Thanks for the honesty you show if not in words then with your facial reaction. Sara I hope this is the thing in your life that brings the Joy and freedom you deserve. GOOD JOB

colllie October 28, 2010 | 11:57 AM

Great show-love the ladies. I had a comment about todays show & domestic violence. Being a recent victim,there is no help out there,without proof. No law enforcement will even write a report,unless you have brusises.Cyber stalking-no one wants to help.I called the NDV-no help,can't tell u where to go for help!!!Its UNREAL!!!I now know how a person can end up dead!!! I have tried every avenue available-I hit a brick wall each time.I don't want to hear there is help out there-that's BS

J Pipkin October 28, 2010 | 11:22 AM

Have enjoyed watching the show. The women have done a fab job. I am disabled and lost my wife/best friend to cancer July of this year. Wednesdays show was great where Sharon dissed the female reporter that made fun of/ was grossed out at the thought of seeing "fat people" being intimate. My wifew was over 200 lbs when she was diagnosed with cancer and I am over 300. Either of us would have told the world how great our marriage/relationship was and weight was not a huge consideration. People are too hung up on "beauty", vanity, and do not look for the things that make a marriage/relationship work. Today Sharon you said at one time you were 220 pounds. Sharon, one can tell from your laughter/deameaer that you would be a lovely person at any weight. Go Girls!

Nancy October 27, 2010 | 11:55 AM

I think this is a very good program. It is wonderful to know there are celeb moms that are down to earth normal women. The story on Bullying was great...I would like to share, once I took my downsyndrome son to a baseball game and he was a little figity and had bumped the ladies seat in front of us while he was trying to get comfortable in his seat. She spun around with a hateful look on her face, first looked at him, then me and said just what is wrong with him that he cannot sit still, I said "obviously the same thing that is wrong with you, he is mentally challenged". Had she turned around and politely said to me, ma'm could you please ask your son to sit still he is bumping my chair, I would have said yes of course....but that is not what happened. She did not expect my reply, but that was also uncalled for....she was insensitive to my son, knowing before she asked he was mentally challenged. That insensitivity is the beginning of bullying, everyone should think before they speak. Thank you ladies for bringing these issues to the forefront...keep up the good work. I love all of you!

Michelle October 25, 2010 | 12:07 PM

Today was my first time watching the show. I enjoyed it, however, I would really like to see Sharon wearing some trouser socks if she wants to take her shoes off and rub her feet then touch the guests.

Jill Ward October 25, 2010 | 12:00 PM

I love your show. Your funny, down to earth and your totally honest with how you feel about your topics....You don't just say what people want to hear. I love that. Please keep it up. As for Leah, she cracks me up. I just adore each of you.