Katherine Heigl
As Claire Randall

Katherine Heigl has hinted that her next role may be in the movie version of the time-travel romance book by Diana Gabaldon, Outlander. Do you think she is a good choice to star in an adaptation of Diana Gabaldon’s fantasy novels?

Katherine-Heigl

Katherine Heigl is best known for her rom-coms (Knocked Up, Killers, Life as We Know It) and as Dr. Izzy Stevens in Grey's Anatomy, but her next potential role in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander will have her in a more dramatic and action-packed role.

"Scotland? 2012? What do you think?" she hinted to the New York Times. After her tease, the Times reported, "Heigl will then turn toward sharply dramatic work, starring as a Scottish heroine in an adaptation of Outlander."

Time travel plus romance

Outlander is the first book in a six novel series and is about an English nurse named Claire Randall who, while on her honeymoon in Scotland, is transported from 1945 back to 1743. She struggles with the fact that she leads a double life, with a husband in one life and a lover in another time period.

In her new life, she encounters many adventures involving her husband's evil ancestor, British captain Jonathan Black Jack Randall. Through it all, she struggles with her double life until she must make a choice between her two lives and her two loves.

Outlander

Randall Wallace to write screenplay

Randall Wallace (Braveheart, Pearl Harbor, Secretariat) will reportedly write the screenplay, however, no director has been named by Essential Pictures.

What do you think? Is Heigl a good choice to play Claire Randall in Outlander?

read on for More katherine Heigl

Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel dish Life as We Know It
Katherine Heigl's rise to fame: From Grey's to Life as We Know It
Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl tell The Ugly Truth

Tags: outlander randall wallace secretariat

Comments

Comments on "Katherine Heigl to star in Diana Gabaldon’s Outlander?"

MovieBuzz911 August 24, 2013 | 5:50 AM

Cloudia Swann is my choice I am plugging her after following her work and now seeing she is moving into the Sci Fi genre with Rutger Hauer..

Mel August 23, 2012 | 7:29 AM

ABSOLUTELY not. She is awful, and could not play this role.

Kim July 02, 2012 | 3:59 PM

NOT Katherine Heigle or Kiera Knightly!!!! For Claire!!!! These producers and the Playwrite really need to read all SEVEN (soon to be EIGHT) books before they cast anybody!!! I agree Rachel Weisz could definitely pull it off and with class too! What about the actor that played THOR....Christopher Hemsworth? as Jamie? He's got the body for it! An Aussie accent, but he can adjust....and dye his hair ruddy bronze....he's definitly got the eyes.

JamieFan May 04, 2012 | 10:18 AM

Heigl is the WORST choice possible. The woman cannot act her way out of a paper bag much less pull off an English accent. Why Hollywood keeps putting her in films is beyond me.

carol December 30, 2011 | 9:07 PM

What about katherine zetta-jones. She would be GREAT in this role. She looks more the part of Claire. And she is a terific actress

jenny October 14, 2011 | 8:26 PM

Heigl as Claire would be horrible...pick a no name actor with brown hair and brown eyes...anything would be better than her. If they choose a no name actor, there isn't going to be any negative associations. Jonathan Rhys Meyers would be a wonderful Jaime.

Casey July 03, 2011 | 8:03 PM

She would be the worse person to play claire!! i love her as ac tor but Claire or bree she just wont do good at!! And i really do not want to see Gerard Butler as Jamie! Granted he is a awesome actor and i love his movie but this movie has to be made by people who can play the part like the book these two actors do not!!

Steff March 03, 2011 | 6:21 AM

I cannot see heigl or Knightly as Claire either. I also think that Rachel Weisz would be better. Also there are 7 books in the outlander series not 6 ;)

r. kenney February 05, 2011 | 9:06 AM

Heigl as Claire. Oh, hell no!

Hillary January 13, 2011 | 6:44 AM

Katherine Heigl would NOT be a good choice for this film. I see alot of people saying that Rachel Weisz would be a good choice. I think she could do it, but I personally think that Minnie Driver would do an excellent job. She's got that wit that Claire does!! I'm also concerned about who they would cast as Jamie. Now ladies, I love Gerard Butler like any other hot blooded woman...but as Jamie? Um...no. Jamie is red haired and fair, Gerard Butler (as gorgeous as he is) is dark dark dark. Even if they dyed his hair...his skin tone is just too dark. I think David Wenham (played Farimir in Lord of the Rings) is the closest to Jamie you can get!! Sigh....hopefully Essential Pictures will take into consideration the fans thoughts.....afterall the movie is for us right??

A'leannan January 11, 2011 | 7:09 PM

Please NO NO NO Heigl or Knightly!!

Deborah December 28, 2010 | 4:07 PM

From the suggestions thus far, I do think Rachel Weiz would be an excellent choice for Claire. Since, Jamie was about 5 years her junior and in those times the men had to have been built large to be able to handle them swords and armory. The actor that would be best suited to play Jamie would have to be built sturdy. I liked Matthew Goode in Leap Year with Amy Adams. He might need to work out a bit or not. I enjoyed that movie, and he does have the accent down...

sarah December 19, 2010 | 3:56 PM

Nina Dobrev who plays Elana on vampire diaries fits the description perfecting shes not that well known yet and shes a good actress!

Jo December 15, 2010 | 4:13 PM

Oh Please NO...there are far better actors that can play Clare, if that's what the article is referring to, frankly, I really would like want to see her in the movie at all...sorry about that, but, she just is not the right level of actor!

Mel November 21, 2010 | 8:42 PM

Heigl could possibly be the worse choice. Ruth Wilson would be great. She's how I would picture Claire.

jamie October 29, 2010 | 4:05 PM

Id rather they make it with heigl than not at all. But I really hope she takes some acting classes. I've seen grey's anatomy and I cry everytime I see it (I feel sorry for the actors) and Love comes softly.---she did decent, but she was playing marty, when she needed to be marty. I think she can *may* do well in it... I think theres a great actress in heigl, but unforunately she's wasting too much time in these predictable romantic comedies. Do we really need another pretty face who can only play one role for twenty years.

bee October 29, 2010 | 8:44 AM

Ug NOT Kiera Knightly EITHER! Don't get me wrong- I LOVE Kiera but I think Rachel Weisz would be EXCELLENT for the role. I don't agree with Katherine either. I think she'd be better as Bree also.

kate October 28, 2010 | 7:14 AM

While I agree with all of you who say that Ms. Heigl would make a terrible Claire I could see her, based purely on a physical stand point, playing Brianna, Claire's daughter(if the movies ever got that far). Tall and curvy, just give her strawberry blond dye job and it might work. Plus Bree was born and raised in the states so we wouldn't have to hear her butcher an English accent. As for who should play Claire, the best suggestion I've heard so far is Rachel Weisz. It would have to be an older actress anyway cause if they do go all the way with the series they would need some one who could bridge the gap between the young Claire and the older Claire

Patricia October 26, 2010 | 7:44 PM

OHHHH NOOOO not her, I would not be happy if this was true, all of her movies so far have been terrible, I don't care that she's not British or has dark hair, a good actress could pull that off but Katherine is just...I don't have words for her she sucks.

Mycah October 24, 2010 | 4:27 PM

Absolutely NOT! She is not Claire Randall in the LEAST! I just watched Braveheart for the umteen-millionth time, and Randall Wallace is just an amazing screenplay, and Heigl can't do it. Rachel Weisz, now THAT'S Claire Randall. She even has the accent.