Gunn's Message To Gay Teens

Tim Gunn, our personal favorite Project Runway star, has bravely spoken out about his own suicide attempt on the heels of the tragic deaths of five gay teenagers who killed themselves after suffering extreme bullying for their sexuality.

The suicides, which came back-to-back in the last three weeks, included 13-year-old Seth Walsh, who died Tuesday after being in a coma for nine days, and Rutgers University student Tyler Clementi, who jumped off the George Washington Bridge days after his roommate allegedly posted video on the Internet of him having sex with another man.

Tim Gunn delivers his message

In a video message, Tim Gunn addressed gay youth and admitted he tried to take his own life when he was a teenager by swallowing 100 pills.

"As a 17-year-old youth who was in quite a bit of despair, I attempted to kill myself," Gunn says in the spot for the It Gets Better Project. "I'm happy to say today that attempt was unsuccessful. But at the time it was all that I could contemplate."

Gunn urged gay youth looking for help to contact The Trevor Project, a nationwide suicide prevention hotline.

"I understand the desperation," he says. "I understand the despair. And I understand how isolated you can feel. Reach out. Get help. You're not alone. It will get better -- I promise."

Tim isn't the only person speaking out in the wake of the tragic suicides. Sarah Silverman also released a video message and Glee creator Ryan Murphy is planning an episode that deals with the subject later this season.

The Trevor Project can be reached at 1-866-488-7386. All calls are free and confidential.

Tim Gunn's message

Read on for more Tim Gunn

Tim Gunn talks Project Runway
Tim Gunn bashes Anna Wintour
10 Minutes with Tim Gunn

Comments

Comments on "Tim Gunn speaks out on his suicide attempt"

PB March 07, 2013 | 7:45 PM

Tim the video hit home, I to am a survivor. Many years later still having doubt about the what if? Yes, currently getting help and I thank God everyday. Sometime it can consume You to no end but it is well worth talking to someone. Wishing there was someone around back then, would have made a world of difference to who I have become. It is never too late to talk. We are Smart, we are kind, We are Good People.

tommy knuckles October 26, 2010 | 7:52 PM

diefriutdie...brId LOVE to meet up with you, tuff guy, cause maybe we'd have one less TUFF GUY, weather it be you OR me......email me

Jade October 06, 2010 | 3:32 PM

What a lovely public service message directed to these individuals struggling with their identities. Although I am straight, I am VERY saddened and concerned when I see these lives ending at such a young age. People are just so hateful. Please everyone lighten up. Noone needs to be bullied and humiliated every day. We all have enough problems. God bless you all. Thank you, Mr. Gunn. People like you can make a difference.

Debbie Mc October 06, 2010 | 1:00 PM

I may not understand the choices people make. I do know we all are human beings and need compassion from mankind. None of us are perfect. For those being bullied, reach out and if you do not get help, KEEP reaching... We are all valueable...

benandme October 06, 2010 | 12:50 PM

AndyRae, I agree! "diefruitdie" you poor poor sole. Who abused you along the way? You seek attention, reaction. God have mercy on your sole and those who have affected you so miserably.

cyndi October 06, 2010 | 12:36 PM

I love Tim he rocks!!!!

Noel October 06, 2010 | 12:33 PM

Tim Gunn... A man with class. Thanks Tim.

Maureen October 06, 2010 | 12:29 PM

God Bless You Tim Gunn.....I am a sister to four brothers, many nephews, and have ten grandsons, and my heart goes out to all young people, because growing up is hard. But for those beautiful children who are faced with being different at a time when it is so important to fit in, what a struggle. You sharing your struggle will definitely help a lot of young people. This young boy and the many more who are now gone because of insensitive hateful people, I can only say what a loss. God help this world, we do not seem to be getting better on the issues of individual rights. What is driving the world, definitely not love. But like you said, it will get better, and I will continue to pray for that.

AndyRae October 06, 2010 | 12:28 PM

The fact that you give yourself the name "diefruitdie" says all anyone needs to know about you as a less than human being.

diefruitdie October 06, 2010 | 12:17 PM