Heigl Is Stephanie Plum

Katherine Heigl is back at work and this time, she has jumped into the role of your average every day girl turned bounty hunter. Katherine Heigl's upcoming film is based on Janet Evanovich’s first novel in the bestselling Stephanie Plum series and with 18 more books in the series, this could be more than just one Plum role!

Katherine Heigl on the set

Fans of the Stephanie Plum thrillers now get why Katherine Heigl showed up at the Killers premiere with a head of sassy brown curls! The One for the Money protagonist turns to fighting crime, but she has long been waging war on her curly mane.

Katherine Heigl has made a career of playing the beautiful girl next door, but this time, there's a twist -- and we don't just mean the dark hair.

After her new character catches her hubby cheating on her and then loses her job in lingerie sales, Stephanie forces her cousin Vinnie to give her a job. Unfortunately, Vincent Plum Bail Bonds doesn't need a secretary, so the desperate normal girl throws herself into the life of an "apprehension agent."

Needless to say, Stephanie lands a whopper of a case right out of the gate and since she's a local gal, she also has a past relationship with her target. Instead of tracking some random dirt bag, she finds herself on the hunt for the one that got away in high school. It seems the guy who took her virginity is now a local cop accused of murder.

This film adaptation has been in the works since the 90s, with talk that author Janet Evanovich was picturing Sandra Bullock for the role. Instead, Reese Witherspoon was tied to the role, only to be replaced by Katherine Heigl without explanation.

After all these years, shooting finally kicked off Monday, July 12 in Ambridge, Pennsylvania and Katherine Heigl has got a few TV hunks onset with her, including Rescue Me's slick bad boy Daniel Sunjata (Ranger), former Life on Mars star Jason O'Mara (Joe) and Patrick Fischler (Cousin Vinnie), who has had roles in everything from Lost, Mad Men and Southland to Dinner for Schmucks.

Word is The View's Sherri Shepherd will also be in pocket, while Cristina Aloe plays bail bonds receptionist, Connie.

So Stephanie Plum fans, what do you think of the cast?

Read on for more Katherine Heigl

Katherine Heigl dishes The Ugly Truth
Katherine Heigl turns down Emmy nomination
Katherine Heigl talks Killers

Tags: janet evanovich stephanie plum

Comments

Comments on "Katherine Heigl filming One for the Money"

alw October 09, 2010 | 11:22 AM

Katherine H. gave me pause and I'm not familiar with Sunjata but I thought Jason O'Mara was a perfect choice for Joe. He's got the right sense of ATTITUDE which is big with the Joe Morelli character. If you doubt his acting chops watch him in "The Closer" episodes he was in a few years ago. Take aways the alleged "serial killer" component - tada - Joe Morelli. Besides which, he is a great actor. I think one day he'll be up there next to the Harrison Ford, Gibson, Clooney etc. My "he's got it" instincts have never been wrong.

jen September 07, 2010 | 12:20 PM

Who is playing her parents and sister???? The parents are important right off the bat and the sister is important down the line. I do not like the casting and am disappointed in both the Ranger and Morelli casting choice. I will reserve my opinion on Heigl because I like her but am not sure she is right for the roll

Stephanie's Obsession September 06, 2010 | 10:58 PM

I think the cast is really great! At first I was nervous because none of my picks for the characters were being cast, but now I love the actors they hired for the roles.

Marie August 18, 2010 | 3:30 PM

I nearly fell out of my chair when they cast Sunjata as Ranger because reading the books I totally pictured him as Ranger. The swagger, the attitude then HOTTNESS, everyone keeps saying that they say The Rock as Ranger but I dont think that The Rock has the Appeal that Sunjata has. I love him as Franco on Rescue Me. The bravado is right on. I wasn't seeing O'Mara as Morelli, til I saw the pic of him with the longer wavy hair on IMDB and went, "he'll do!" LOL... I love Katherine Heigl in her more comedic roles like in Knocked Up and 27 Dresses so hopefully she can pull Stephanie Off. The pics of her in character are decent. She's definately got the hair right. I'm happy with most of the casting but I'm worried about Grandma Mazur, I like Debbie Reynolds but she's a little too normal grandma looking for my tastes, I imagined Grammy Mazur a little more nutty looking. But they that's what make up is for. Too bad Sandra Bullock is too old for the role now, she's have done well as Stephanie but hey, maybe they will surprise us. No matter if they do all the books or just this one, I'll see everyone of them just for Ranger. TEAM RANGER!

Amy August 03, 2010 | 7:41 PM

Anyone know where they will be filmin gon Thursday, August 5th?? I will be in Ambridge.

Newz July 30, 2010 | 10:36 PM

The two most difficult characters to cast was always going to be Stephanie and Ranger. I'm not happy with O'mara as Morelli, I'm thinking that the producers have really dropped the ball on that one, but Heigl as Steph? I would never have put her into that role, but now that I've had a chance to think on it, I think she will do very well. She's a great actress and her smile/laugh is infectious, I can see why two guys would be 'infatuated' with her. As for Sunjata as Ranger, I think they cast him well, but only the movie would tell whether Sunjata could carry off the Ranger I love's characterisation.

Charlieann July 28, 2010 | 8:01 AM

I love Jason O'Mara. There is something y and dangerous, yet vulnerable about him. Find "Life on Mars" & watch a couple of episodes and see if you agree. I don't know Daniel Sunjaten, so I am keeping an open mind, although I agree that Dwayne Johnson would make a terrific Ranger. As for Katherine Heigl, (sigh) I can only hope. I've seen her Stephanie Plumb pictures so I am hoping she can pull it off & that the chemistry will be right. I thought that Sandra Bullock or even Evangeline Lilly from "Lost" would have been a terrific choice.

Cindy July 27, 2010 | 6:26 PM

I would've made David Boreanaz Joe Morelli......

Kristy July 20, 2010 | 5:23 AM

I've never read any of Janet Evanoich's books, but I'm a huge Heigl fan, so whatever role she's in, I'm sure she'll do a great job.

Camilla July 20, 2010 | 2:54 AM

Wow..I knew Heigl would be Steph but an irishman playing hot italiano? Tough one! I have a hard to see him in sneakers..and with muscles described by Janet. Daniel Sunjata..Yes! Couldn't have picked better! I mean do you really see "The Rock" doing those hot spicy "Babe" comments with a little tingle in his eyes and a crooked smile? Um..no thanks! Alls that matters is the chemistry b/w Heigl/O'Mara..and Heigl/Sunjata - thats what it all depends on. And Sherri as Lula? WOW! YAY! exactly what I hoped for! Perfect really. Same for Connie role and Vinnie although he's not fat - but just perfect casting on the other roles! Wonder who will play Grandma Mazur - and we have all the most important roles filled :) Yeah, I'mma huuge fan of Stephanie Plum..sry bout my loong tirade..

Terri July 19, 2010 | 9:44 PM

I agree with Tina, have read all of the books and when I read I already have a movie playing in my head. Sandra Bullock is DEFINITELY Stephanie Plum, "The Rock" is Ranger, perhaps Jon Tenney as Morelli... this cast has it's work cut out for it...why do they not listen to the readers??? will still see the movie because I love the books but as is usually the case the movie won't hold a candle to the book

Tina H July 19, 2010 | 3:37 PM

Not in love with the cast at all! I have read every book in the series and have definite visions of who should play the characters. The studio got this all wrong. Daniel Sunjata might be able to pull off Morelli, but Ranger - no way. That part should belong to Dwayne "the Rock" Johnson. Stephanie is nobody but Sandra Bullock. Also, why in the world is this being shot in Ambridge, PA when right down the road is Hamilton Township in Trenton where all the places Evanovich talks about in the books are right there!

Madison Brooks July 18, 2010 | 12:06 PM

I love having Sherri Shepherd as Lula! On the other hand Jason O'Mara as Joe Morelli not so much. I still can't wait to see the movie and love all the books with Lula as my favorite.

Gregorian July 17, 2010 | 7:32 AM

I'm digging the casting choices for this film. Big time. Heigel is dope. O'Mara has major chops. And Daniel Sunjata is a superstar in the making. He keeps popping up everywhere opposite Susan Sarandon, Meryl Streep, & Kevin Kline, and he's always a totally different character. designer, firefighter, Serial rapist, baseball player, and now bounty hunter!! I just wish I could see him do a major role in theatre. Missed take me out on broadway :(

Ginger July 16, 2010 | 1:27 PM

YUCK!!!!! Just found out that Katherine Heigl is playing STEPHANIE????? No way. Whoever cast her is an idiot. I love the books, but I am NOT going to see the movie.

Tonya Rynerson July 16, 2010 | 6:14 AM

If you like Stephanie Plum, you might be interested in reading Bounty Hunters and Bail Bondsmen: Stephanie Plum vs. Reality.

chris July 15, 2010 | 1:08 PM

I can’t wait to see this movie. Specially because Daniel Sunjata is in it.

PennyT July 15, 2010 | 12:26 PM

There was plenty of explanation - the Witherspoon project never got off the ground back in the late 90s and the movie was sidelined. Katherine was interested in the project and as a result it was resurrected. This is well documented. John Leguizamo also is in the movie I read on Heigl's web site.