Idol: Who Should Have Won?

Lee DeWyze wins American Idol! Let the debate begin. Just like the American Idol finale in 2009 that split fans with its final two -- Adam Lambert and Kris Allen -- fans of Crystal Bowersox and DeWyze are now also beginning that same questioning the winner dance.

Bowersox began the season as the favorite. Midway through the American Idol season, Bowersox was still the odds-on pick to win it all. Even as the show concluded with the performances May 25, judges and much of the media had all but anointed Bowersox the next American Idol.

American Idol champ Lee DeWyze awaits the word

So what happened?

I'll tell you what happened. The same thing that happened to Adam Lambert, happened to Crystal Bowersox. Lee DeWyze took the popular vote when it came down to a two-person race. In a two-person battle on American Idol, the teen heartthrob will always win. Always.

Of course, having just said always, there is one year I'm sure many of you are going to turn to as the exception -- when David Archuleta lost to David Cook. Well, honestly, in the battle of the Davids, American Idol still selected a winner that was immensely popular with the teenage female fan base of the American Idol demographic.

Plus, Archuleta was just too cute, Cook was more hot and still is to this day.

Back to the American Idol May 26 finale and DeWyze's big American Idol crowning. As oftentimes happens in entertainment, especially when it comes to reality TV competitions, the upset -- upon closer reflection -- is hardly an upset at all. When DeWyze accepted his title, he was joining an esteemed list of victors. But, what he has also become a part of is a dispute as old as the show itself, the "Who should have won American Idol debate." Consider it begun!

Let us know: Who do you think should have won American Idol?

Read on for more American Idol

Lee DeWyze wins American Idol
Reality TV Magazine recaps the entire American Idol finale!
Re-live an entire season: American Idol Reality TV Magazine, from auditions to championship

Comments

Comments on "American Idol winner Lee DeWyze: Let the debate begin"

Lisa Jo September 29, 2010 | 7:05 PM

America got it right with Lee. He is an artist dedicated to his craft and his incredible voice is ready for the radio. He is joining his impressive skills as a songwriter with some big names in the business for his album. I think a lot of people are going to be changing their minds when his album hits the store on Nov 16.

Bob September 29, 2010 | 1:00 PM

I thought that Crystal should have won over Lee, but I also thought that Siobhan Magnus should have been in the final with Crystal. I always ask myself "Who would I plunk down my money to see in concert?" Some of my favorite non-winners who I would pay to see are: Crystal, Siobhan, Adam Lambert, Chris Daughtry, Katharine McPhee and Clay Aiken. America got it wrong with Lee, Taylor and a few others.

Lee September 29, 2010 | 4:39 AM

Crystal, without a doubt, in my opinion. But, I'm a fan of Adam Lambert, which is indicative of my taste in more dramatic, powerful music. (Queen and Jeff Buckley are also favorites of mine.) Maybe the "heart-throb theory" IS right ... or could it be that the more "eccentric" contestants (a flamboyant guy in eye make-up, a dreadlocked, hippie-ish woman) are not widely accepted by many conservative Americans? I never did think Lee was consistent -or outstanding- enough to win ... but, then again, I've been spoiled by Adam Lambert.

So Sad September 29, 2010 | 4:26 AM

Jill give it a rest. That so called book is a crock of bull with no substantiating reliable evidence to support it. It's been two years. Time to move on. Nobody cares.

Jill September 28, 2010 | 6:29 PM

Adam Lambert lost only because Arkensas cheated. Please read Kerry Kolsch's book, American Idol: Vote Scam, available from Amazon, for the details. You won't be disappointed. I know that this is history, and Adam wouldn't do anything to change the results, even if he could. He's too gracious. But the truth needs to be told.

lisa September 28, 2010 | 4:10 PM

neither one of them has what it takes to stay dedicated to the business,they both look like they would rather work on music at they're own pace.they just look lazy to me.Like they would be content to play to smaller crowds or not touring at all.I have yet to see Lee smile.Crystal looks more content to do benefits for her causes.I really don't know who should have won.I think everyone has learned to not want the win alot of people consider it a curse.they just want to make it as high up as possible.3rd is good.which is why i was so glad casey made it their.it was perfect for him.I would buy his music anytime he was my fav.

Minerva September 17, 2010 | 8:10 PM

Lee is going to fade away. He does not have the talent to stay afloat the big music business boat. Adam Lambert has the voice and the showmanship that is outstanding and his shows sell out. David Cook sings with so much emotion you can read his heart through his songs. David Archuleta has the school boy glee type vibe going for him that is popular. Last year there was NO ONE that had any type star quality. Crystal was too whinny and the others just did not have the chance to shine with their own style. Siobhan Mangus was better than Dewyze. Not to mention early on, the better singers were eliminated.

Ruby May 28, 2010 | 7:51 AM

Lee also had story arc. Crystal was consistent and didn't shown growth the same appealing way.

Susan Bailey May 27, 2010 | 1:20 PM

Lee totally deserved to win! He continually growed in confidence, being humble, and getting better every week in his song choices. He has the kind of sound in his voice that would make # 1 hits on the radio, with the right song writer and song to go with. Many of his performances proved he is a true artist and musician. Treat Her Like A Lady was just the beginning of what brought him to where he is now, (WINNER OF AMERICAN IDOL).

Dell May 27, 2010 | 9:02 AM

Conratulations to American Idol winner Lee DeWyze!

Dave May 27, 2010 | 12:27 AM

I don't think there's any question as to who should have won, definitely Crystal. That said Lee is a good relateable guy I'm happy for him. But it's Crystal's album I'm looking forward to buying.

sue May 26, 2010 | 11:59 PM

my guess is that sympathetic voters think that Bowersox had so much propensity to win that they decided to give their vote to the underdog DeWyze, hoping to balance the votes maybe.... but didn't realise there are so many who thinks this way too... so tadah! the underdog wins again.