Bret Michaels Brain Bleed

Poison frontman Bret Michaels was rushed to the hospital after being stricken by a severe brain hemorrhage.

Bret Michaels

The rocker and reality star is in critical condition at an undisclosed hospital after doctors discovered the massive subarachnoid hemorrhage -- bleeding at the base of the brain stem.

"After several CAT scans, MRIs and an angiogram, [doctors] decided to keep Michaels in the ICU and are running several tests to determine the cause. [It] will be touch and go for the next few days while he is under intense observation," a source close to the situation told People.

The 47-year-old just had an emergency appendectomy on April 12, but there is no word on if this new condition may be related to the initial procedure.

Docs say Michaels is going to need a lot of luck to pull through this one. According to the experts at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, who were asked about Bret's odds of survival by TMZ (although it is unknown if they are actually treating him), people who don't receive the right treatment after such a bleed have a 20 to 30 percent chance of having another bleed within a month. The really bad news? "Recurrent bleeding has a 70 percent mortality rate," say the experts.

It sounds like Michaels is already beating the odds. The same experts say that about a third of all patients die almost immediately from extensive brain damage. Since Bret got past that, he's in better shape than many.

Read on for more celebrity news

Jennifer Lopez dishes parenthood
South Park censored amidst extremist threats
Police surround home of Lindsay Lohan

Tags: poison

Recommended for you

Comments

Comments on "Bret Michaels suffers brain hemorrhage"

+ Add Comment


(required - not published)