Recipe: Croque Monsieur (a la Jane in It's Complicated)
2 tablespoons butter plus more for brushing
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 cups whole milk, heated
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces grated Gruyere cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
8 slices firm white sandwich bread
Maille Dijon mustard
8 ounces thinly sliced Black Forest ham
1. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and stir 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Increase heat to medium-high and boil until sauce thickens, whisking constantly, about 2 minutes. Season with nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.
2. Toss the two cheeses together and set aside 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture for sprinkling on top of the sandwiches. Preheat broiler.
3. Place 4 bread slices on work surface. Spread each lightly with mustard. Top each with 1/4 of the ham and 1/4 of the remaining grated cheese. Top with remaining bread.
4. Heat heavy large skillet over low heat. Brush sandwiches with melted butter. Add to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer to small baking sheet. Spoon sauce and reserved grated cheese over sandwiches.
5. Broil until cheese begins to brown and bubble, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately with a green salad.
And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .
SheKnows is making some changes!