Unauthorized Biography Shocks

An unauthorized Kitty Kelley biography of Oprah Winfrey hits stores April 13! Kelley dishes on Oprah's relationships and reveals several shockers to fans of the beloved celebrity including an affair with John Tesh.

Kitty Kelley's Oprah book

Oprah can sell millions of books simply by giving her stamp of approval.

But there's one book Oprah is highly unlikely to recommend or pick for her famous book club: A controversial new unauthorized Oprah tell-all from famed celebrity profiler Kitty Kelley.

Oprah: A Biography is in stores April 13. Kelley promised that Oprah: A Biography is full of juicy details and secrets about the TV mega-mogul.

The author appeared on The Today Show to talk about the hundreds of interviews she did do for the book, although she did not speak to Oprah herself (though she tried).

Kelley said she reviewed footage of every interview Oprah has ever given. She also talked to scores of sources close to Oprah, including a revealing interview with Vernon Winfrey -- the man who raised Oprah.

Kelley, who is known for her controversial unauthorized biographies including Elizabeth Taylor, Frank Sinatra and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, said she interviewed over 850 sources.

The book is already stirring up controversy and supposedly reveals numerous secrets about Oprah and her family -- including details on her relationship with her mother.

The book also sheds light on Oprah's romantic life -- including the revelation that Oprah and former Entertainment Tonight host John Tesh had a live-in relationship when they worked together in local TV in Nashville in the 1970s. According to Kelley, Tesh ended things with Oprah because of social pressures inflicted on interracial couples during that time.

Kelley said on The Today Show that many talk show hosts including Barbara Walters, Larry King and David Letterman have refused to bring her on their shows to talk about her new book because they fear backlash from Oprah.

"I can't think of a better life story," Kelley said of the book. "When you finish reading it -- no matter what's inside -- you come away being inspired."

So far, Oprah has declined to comment on Kelley's book.

Read on for more Oprah

President Obama welcomes Oprah
Shocking Oprah drug allegations
Oprah's Duke University speech

Tags: biography kitty kelley

Comments

Comments on "Oprah revealed by Kitty Kelley"

Eva Whiting April 14, 2010 | 12:08 PM

Aside from Debbie's rant, I'm really excited to read this book. It makes me a little sad that I get so enthused to read something that was written behind someone else's back with the sole purpose of exposing them, but nonetheless, I am intrigued!

Eva Whiting April 14, 2010 | 12:06 PM

Debbie, what are you talking about? Good gracious, that was ridiculous.

debbie wooten April 13, 2010 | 10:09 PM

I guess I won't be getting a car, sorry the man I spoke of was Epird I know I didn't spel his name right. But I want people to know we are trying to survive and it's Hormones at issue the unbalance that is a cause of Thyroid Cancer usually if you had a Hysteratomy that was never brought up. I tell you today have your blood worked through and through without doing a Hysterectomy.

debbie wooten April 13, 2010 | 9:54 PM

I believe that Opah is really a psycotic individual that meant well but got on T.V. and has much control as to what we watch. I believe her family when they talk about her believe she is mentally ill and she has people around her that will treat her as a gueen and never mention that she is mentally not with the program. I also believe she has done some good but to what pathalogical rode is she travelling? Are we all to except everything she brings or says to the conner stone of our lives I think not! I am a Thyroid Cancer Survivoer that doest appreciate bring a poor old man and talking about how he lives. I would have let God take me before then with out question but this is her fear! I believe I want the Oprah raine to end and I maybe to harsh but to me it's time.

babsb April 13, 2010 | 5:34 PM

Everyone is too frightened of Oprah to interview Kitty who diligently researches her controversial subjects? Toughen up David Letterman! Barbara Walters, you are getting too old if you are afraid of this lady! Come on out there, where are the Cavetts and Tom Snyders of the world?

david b April 13, 2010 | 5:30 PM

oh wow, one of Oprah's relatives has a tell all book too!! whats her site? this is better than Tiger Woods affair

mariam25 April 13, 2010 | 5:27 PM

Im definitely going to buy her book, just as I bought her cousins book shakeeta winfrey, now that was a good read.