Too Fat To Fly?

Director Kevin Smith was booted from a Southwest Airlines flight because of his weight.

Kevin Smith leaving the Southwest flightSmith, who rose to fame with the low-budget flick Clerksand is also known for his turn as Silent Bob, was seated and ready to fly from Oakland to Burbank when a Southwest attendant advised him he was a "safety risk" and had to deplane.

After an unsuccessful argument, Smith left the flight and took to Twitter for a few jabs at the airline.

"Dear @SouthwestAir -- I know I'm fat, but was Captain Leysath really justified in throwing me off a flight for which I was already seated?"

"Dear @SouthwestAir, I flew out in one seat, but right after issuing me a standby ticket, Oakland Southwest attendant Suzanne (wouldn't give last name) told me Captain Leysath deemed me a safety risk. Again: I'm way fat...But I'm not there just yet. But if I am, why wait til my bag is up, and I'm seated with arm rests down. In front of a packed plane with a bunch of folks who'd already (noticed) me as Silent Bob."

"So, @SouthwestAir, go (expletive) yourself. I broke no regulation, offered no safety risk (what, was I gonna roll on a fellow passenger?). I was wrongly ejected from the flight (even Suzanne eventually agreed). And (expletive) your apologetic $100 voucher, @SouthwestAir. Thank God I don't embarrass easily (bless you, Jersey Girl training). But I don't sulk off either: so everyday, some new (expletive) you Tweets for @SouthwestAir."

Wanna tell me I'm too wide for the sky? Totally cool. But fair warning, folks: If you look like me, you may ejected from @southwestair."

So apparently Smith wasn't happy about the situation.

Southwest reached out to Smith via phone and Twitter, and blogged their apology. They also reiterated why the policy stands in the first place: safety and comfort of all passengers.

"Southwest instituted our Customer of Size policy more than 25 years ago. The policy requires passengers who cannot fit safely and comfortably in one seat to purchase an additional seat while traveling. This policy is not unique to Southwest Airlines and it is not a revenue generator. Most, if not all, carriers have similar policies, but unique to Southwest is the refunding of the second seat purchased (if the flight does not oversell) which is greater than any revenue made (policy is available at www.southwest.com). The spirit of this policy is based solely on customer comfort and safety. As a company committed to serving our customers in safety and comfort, we feel the definitive boundary between seats is the armrest. If a customer cannot comfortably lower the armrest and infringes on a portion of another seat, a customer seated adjacent would be very uncomfortable and a timely exit from the aircraft in the event of an emergency might be compromised if we allow a cramped, restricted seating arrangement."

Smith insists he was seated comfortably with his girth kept in a single seat and a seatbelt fastened completely around his waist without an extender. One thing is for sure: Jay and Silent Bob won't be flying Southwest any time soon.

read on on for more celebrity twitter posts

Michael Jackson dead: Celebrities react via Twitter
Demi Moore saves a fan on Twitter
John Mayer's scandalous Playboy interview and subsequent Twitter apology

Tags: kevin smith

Comments

Comments on "Kevin Smith booted from Southwest flight"

elena February 15, 2010 | 9:23 PM

I work in the city and I have to rely on public transportation quite often. Oh boy...do I get scared when the big person boards the train I have to ride for the next hour, or the plane for the next four hours or more!!! And of course, big passengers always choose me, simply because I’m small!(Big guys or girls do not like to sit next to each other) I wish I could have a choice to choose my seat at that point! Definitely, there should be more guidelines in public areas for oversized people, overly loud or obnoxious people, people with children, sick people, etc.. I know, it is “public” transportation, but I also have to pay extra for bringing an extra suitcase. And I pay good money for my GYM membership and health food store groceries ☺ So, AMERICA, GET FIT!

The J February 15, 2010 | 1:00 PM

Incredible! In 2002, I was on a flight where the woman next to me was so big she took up part of my seat, we couldn't put the arm rest down and I was squished into the passenger next to me. I wonder if I can find the credit card statement so I can remember which airline it was...

Anonymouse February 15, 2010 | 7:01 AM

wow what a bunch of disgusting and ignorant comments here... what makes u people so upset about somebody elses apperance it has nothing to do with you so get over it... this website is clearly filled (at least 90%) with people just trying to take there frustration and hate out towards someone else. hey person and tidypro u must be a sad excuse for a human bein to be so filled with ignorant hate..

a person February 15, 2010 | 2:40 AM

He wasn't this fat and disgusting before, was he? I think at least a few layers of his vile sickening body are new. I feel a little sorry for him. I mean, he knows he is repulsive, and then some stranger on a plane has to say it out loud and then remove his fat form from his seat. He had to do the walk of shame down the isle and off the plane. He probably headed straight to Dunkin' Donuts to kill the sorrow.

Tidypro February 15, 2010 | 2:37 AM

HOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYY for SWA. This is America; where an institution has to force one to accept your inhuman obesity and arrogance. IMHO, airline passengers should be subjected to the "carry on bag size check system". Can't get through the chute, stay out of airplane so the normal human beings don't have to suffer your imposition into our space INVOLUNTARILY. Tidypro

Klick February 15, 2010 | 2:36 AM

Hooray for Southwest!! I am tired of paying for a whole seat and having to share part of it with a space challenged passenger! I only wish the last two times I flew Southwest they had required these passengers to reserve enough room for the body they were clearly aware they possessed, and not forced me to surrender a part of my seat. This is good news for those of us who understand only two small carry-on rules on airplanes, and maximum 15 item lanes at the market. THANK YOU SOUTHWEST!!!

erixpc February 15, 2010 | 2:33 AM

Man, I don't blame Kevin for being all upset over this. But hey, his movies all of a sudden got some free publicity, lol.

SuaveDave February 15, 2010 | 2:24 AM

I'm 200 lbs.and 6 ft. I'm a little overweight, maybe 10-15 lbs, but certainly not obese. And I have trouble fitting into those stupid postage-sized seats. I have one message to Southwest; I promise never, EVER, to fly on your f'ing airline. You have just created a HUGE amount of "ill-will".

a person February 15, 2010 | 2:21 AM

Kevin Smith is just way too fat. He needs to loose some weight. Would YOU want to sit next to him? Loose weight or WALK home.

Egads February 15, 2010 | 2:00 AM

I'm 6 feet tall, 300 lbs, have a 54-inch chest, fly fairly frequently and have never once been challenged or tossed off. ('Not saying I enjoy the experience, but I've never had trouble lowering armrests or closing a seatbelt.) Either Smith has a new Secret Identity as 'Massive Man' - 'Quick, Calorie Lad! to the Cruller-Mobile!', or Southwestern has decided to disenfrachise we wideback types...

Dudley didereaux February 15, 2010 | 1:49 AM

"Southwest instituted our Customer of Size policy more than 25 years ago. The policy requires passengers who cannot fit safely and comfortably in one seat to purchase an additional seat while traveling." --- I woner what the explanation is for: 'Poses a safety risk' if they are seated in one seat, but how does the risk disappear if the passenger pays for two? Screw 'em.

Sugardad February 15, 2010 | 1:42 AM

They should have offered to let him buy 2 seats before he got on the plane. All you need to do is set a standard and give the gate attendant a tape measure. Why was this fatso flying SWA anyways? If he's so important why not fly 1st class on the airlines that have first class (and a bigger seat) or fly in a private plane?