Susan Boyle has 2009's top CD

I Dreamed A Dream: 6 Weeks At #1

Susan Boyle's triple platinum I Dreamed a Dream, was breaking records before it even dropped on November 23, 2009 with pre-order sales. Boyle and I Dreamed a Dream show no sign of slowing in 2010 hitting number one for a sixth week in a row while being declared 2009's top album!

Susan Boyle had the best 2009!Boyle's debut album I Dreamed a Dream was the biggest selling release of 2009 and still holds the number one spot on the Billboard 200, making this six consecutive weeks at the top, with 136,000 copies sold this week and a total of 3.1 million copies sold to date. Wow!!

Of course, Boyle has been breaking records and boundaries since she first shocked judges on Britain's Got Talent, reminding Simon Cowell and the rest of the world not to judge a book by its cover.

Her Britain's Got Talent performance of I Dreamed a Dream became YouTube's most watched video of 2009 and since her sound went viral, she's nabbed 300 Million YouTube hits and nearly two million Facebook friends.

Boyle hit the studio last summer, recording covers like The Rolling Stones' Wild Horses, Madonna's You'll See and The Monkees' Daydream Believer, as well as the original track Who I Was Born To Be; and her much anticipated album became the largest CD pre-order in the history of the Amazon.com Music Store, QVC and Barnes and Noble Online.

There were more records to come after I Dreamed a Dream actually dropped. Boyle is now the first artist in the Billboard 200's 53-year chart history to enter the list at number one with a debut album and spend six consecutive weeks at the summit, not to mention the only 2009 release to hold the number one spot consecutively for six weeks. She also had the largest-ever debut for a female artist on the Billboard 200 in the Soundscan era and the fastest selling global female debut.

SheKnows congratulates Boyle on making her Dream come true – and then some!

Read on for more Susan Boyle

Susan Boyle scores biggest selling female debut album of all time
Susan Boyle's album tops the chart again!
Susan Boyle Wild Horses video

Tags: i dreamed a dream

Comments

Comments on "Susan Boyle has 2009's top CD"

Claire January 11, 2010 | 11:44 AM

Yes, Kat, you are so right there. Susan's CD sales say it all. Let her critics cringe and swallow their words! We have grown weary of the screeching "bump and grind" genre of untalented oportunists who have invaded our radios and TV screens. At last we can enjoy listening to sweet sounds from an equally sweet lady. Thank you Susan.

Kat January 11, 2010 | 9:37 AM

Not surprised to see this. People are sick and tired of the ho hum stuff that's been foisted off on us for lo these many years. We are sick of people trying to be our taste makers. For once, someone gets to do something of quality on a CD, and it took this kind of scenario to get it going. Also, Susan is a refreshing break from the self-important egomaniacs who too often top the charts.

MM January 10, 2010 | 10:21 PM

I loved Susan from the first moment I saw the Youtube video. I have given the CD to so many people and have even chosen her songs to be featured in my own funeral prearrangements made as a gift to my son for Christmas. I listen to the CD constantly and find new insights and nuances each time I listen. Ironically, my son, who rarely remembers to send me a gift, sent me.....Susan Boyle's CD! Even a 23 year old recognized what an amazing CD it was and mailed it to me! I wish Susan all success and happiness. I even use her CD as a teaching tool in some of my public speaking efforts, not to mention my evangelism efforts since there are quite a bit of Christian tunes on the CD. Her achievements are truly inspirational to me and I want nothing less than Susan Boyle's voice at the celebration of my own life well lived. Thanks Susan for staying true to being you!

Sandra January 10, 2010 | 7:05 PM

Thank you for the great news about Susan and her beautiful and thrilling new CD. I gave it to myself for Christmas and I listen over and over to her angelic and bright voice. My favorite song (besides I Dreamed a Dream) is I Am Who I Was Born to Be. I kept thinking how autobiographical it sounded.....well, now from your article I see it is just that. I, too, wondered about the slowed tempo of I Dreamed....still beautiful, but a tad too different from the one we love. Also, I wondered why she performs only the chorus in How Great Thou Art. The lyrics to that are so wonderful; I would love a repeat of that one with all of the verses. However, every note and every word are magnificent and once again to Susan I say Bravo!

Claire January 10, 2010 | 11:46 AM

Yes, Winifred, I agree that some of the songs on the CD are actually too slow and I hope that those who arranged the CD are aware of this common opinion. However, as you say, her CD is wonderful and her rich, haunting rendition of some of the old favourites reaches deep into the soul. Susan is an amazing combination of courage, humility, charm, beautiful simplicity and she has the voice of an angel. She has touched our lives in a very special way. Thank you Susan. May you be happy forever more.

Winifred January 10, 2010 | 11:29 AM

I have really loved Susan since the first time I saw the audition. Of course I bought her record and really love it. I do wonder why they have slowed the tempo as she originally sang "I Have a DreamP? They seem to slow down all her songs and I wish they wouldn't. Has anyone else noticed this? It was better as she originally sang it. I will continue to buy any records/CDs she records and wish her nothing but the best. She's a lovely person and well as a great artist.

Claire January 10, 2010 | 10:43 AM

What an absolute pleasure to know that Susan's amazing voice and sweet charm have been recognised by so many discerning people.

Marjenda January 10, 2010 | 4:15 AM

Am I the only one on the planet who knew from day one that Susan's success was going to be this huge? Just as Simon said, 'there was something magical about that audition' (not a word by word quote.) She's going to be even bigger next year.

shirleee6 January 09, 2010 | 11:30 PM

there will never be another one like susan boyle she is a great artist and a beautiful person this is her time to shine she deserves all of the good things in life i could listen to her beautiful voice forever

Tricia January 09, 2010 | 8:44 PM

Susan is a reminder to us all that anything is possible. No matter how your life may veer you away from your dreams, you can still make them a reality if you just believe, have faith, and keep trying. I don't know if I've ever been this happy for the success of a singer before in my life! lol Susan's not only an amazing singer, but she's also a lovely person, and she deserves all this and more. Continued success Susan Boyle...We all love you! :)

Jean R - Kansas City, Mo. January 09, 2010 | 7:48 PM

I am so thrilled for Susan. It is wonderful to see so many wonderful things happen to a person so deserving. Susan you've done so well and we are so proud of your accomplishments. I am incredibly proud of you, your talent and your amazing courage. You are an inspiration to us all.

just kim January 09, 2010 | 7:37 PM

Thank you for sharing Susan's many accomplishments and showing such respect for her.

Linda Sharon January 09, 2010 | 5:31 PM

This is wonderful news but not suprising as she has been breaking sales records from day one and BEFORE the C.D. was released. I find her singing thrilling to listen to and I think she is a darling woman to boot.

carol January 09, 2010 | 5:25 PM

A lovely article about a lovely lady. Following her meteoric rise has been such fun and as Susan says........"There's more to come, Wow!"

CzechLady January 09, 2010 | 4:53 PM

Isn't it amazing what Susan Boyle has accomplished in six short weeks???? She is an amazing singer and yet such a humble person who doesn't want the fancy lifestyle which she could easily afford. She knows who she is as a person and wants to stay true to her roots. I so admire her for that and for being such an inspiration to people everywhere.

Howard January 09, 2010 | 4:42 PM

Kathy: Yes big baby steps with a big imprint on the music industry and the hearts and mind of many adoring fans, and soon to be fans as well.

Kathy January 09, 2010 | 4:25 PM

Leslie, yeah, those were some pretty big 'baby steps', weren't they?

Kathy January 09, 2010 | 4:22 PM

#1 world wide for 2009, and she did it after only being on the charts for 6 weeks. Incredible. What a voice! What a sweetie! You Go Girl!

Cathy January 09, 2010 | 4:18 PM

Thank you for writing such a good article for Susan. Many try to diminish her success. It was refreshing to read a completely accurate account of everything she has done in such a short amt. of time.

Leslie ~ near Niagara Falls January 09, 2010 | 3:03 PM

Susan Boyle is beautiful, an amazingly accomplished singer, and a very humble person. We, her MANY fans around the world adore and love her and just cannot get enough of her! We eagerly await the next 'baby step' in her life's journey...