Swayze Memorial: TBD

Patrick Swayze will be cremated before a star-studded funeral, according to reports.

The Patrick Swayze funeral is reportedly being planned for sometime after the actor's body is cremated -- rumored to happen Friday. Swayze requested his ashes be scattered at his New Mexico ranch, a favorite spot shared with his wife of 34 years, Lisa Niemi.

"I fell in love with New Mexico when I was shooting Red Dawn," he told Variety magazine. "It's my healing place."

The 57-year-old Dirty Dancing star lost his battle with pancreatic cancer after a 20-month fight. Prior to his death Swayze penned a memoir due to be published September 29, 2009.

The event could follow the course of the Heath Ledger funeral: a religious ceremony with the ashes present, followed by family and friends scattering the ashes (in Ledger's case, into the sea). Alternately, the Swayze family could opt for a memorial service either before or after the scattering of the ashes.

Former costars of Patrick reacted to the news of his death with grief-stricken statements. Whoopi Goldberg said, "Patrick was a really good man, a funny man and one to whom I owe much that I can't ever repay. I believe in Ghost's message, so he'll always be near."

"Patrick was a rare and beautiful combination of raw masculinity and amazing grace," said his Dirty Dancing costar Jennifer Grey. "Gorgeous and strong, he was a real cowboy with a tender heart. He was fearless and insisted on always doing his own stunts, so it was not surprising to me that the war he waged on his cancer was so courageous and dignified. When I think of him, I think of being in his arms when we were kids, dancing, practicing the lift in the freezing lake, having a blast doing this tiny little movie we thought no one would ever see. My heart goes out to his wife and childhood sweetheart, Lisa Niemi, to his mom, Patsy, and to the rest of their family."

Meanwhile, Demi Moore shared her thoughts on Twitter. "Patrick you are loved by so many and your light will forever shine in all of our lives…" she wrote. "And in the words of Sam to Molly. 'It's amazing Molly. The love inside, you take it with you.' I love and will miss you Patrick."

Read on for more celeb news

Patrick Swayze dies at 57
Kanye West outburst: the aftermath
Michael Jackson laid to rest

Tags: red dawn

Comments

Comments on "Patrick Swayze funeral plans"

Gail H June 22, 2013 | 12:01 AM

I fell in love with him in Dirty Dancing. I watch it all the time. You gave it hell and im sorry u lost the battle, but u gave a lot to all of us. maybe ill see u soon up there and maybe ill get to dance with you. God Bless and may u rest in pease. My sympathy goes out to your wife and family.

A.M. April 21, 2011 | 1:03 PM

Some family members must've died, but his brothers, niece/nephew, widow, mother, and reremaining distant cousins are still alive.

Baby Girl April 06, 2010 | 11:13 AM

Patrick Swayze was the best guy u ever know, he was good in Road House, Dirty Dancing, Ghost, and Outsiders. May his soul Rest In Peac. We Love Partick Swayze.

harout h. February 27, 2010 | 2:04 PM

i just want to say R.I.P patrick swayze i am fan he was the best actor and we always remember u ......

Baby Girl February 01, 2010 | 11:14 AM

Patrick Swayze was the greatest guy u will ever know. He had 2 great moives like Ghost and Drity Dancing. He was a great actor and he has a great book. We are going to miss u Patrick Swayze and may his soul rest in peace.

sonia January 07, 2010 | 11:34 PM

I am watching Roadhouse with an ache to think of how he is gone and what he must have meant to his family when he means so much to so many as well. Time will not heal it all the way because he will always be missed but I wish some peace in knowing he is an angel. I remember watching dirty dancing as a child with my friends as we danced. I saw Patrick & his wife at the Houston Galleria as they showed their horses. I ran after him & touched his right shoulder vowing to never wash my hand LOl. He is missed greatly!

Baby Girl December 18, 2009 | 8:03 PM

He was a great man and he has a beautiful wife who love him so much and she will miss him so much. Let him Rest In Peace and we will miss him so much because he was a great guy ever.

Baby Girl December 16, 2009 | 12:16 PM

We will miss him. He was a great guy and he was good in the movie Gohst and Dirty danicng. We will miss him.

Tammy October 15, 2009 | 8:34 PM

Patrick loved life you could tell, but he's really having the time of his life now.May we all meet again some day.He was a really special guy, his style was just awesome.

cassie glover October 04, 2009 | 6:10 PM

how sad such a fantasic man has been taken from us... my thoughts are with his family

tina williamson October 03, 2009 | 8:34 PM

My heart and prayers go out to Lisa and family may you find the stright and hope to go on. Patrick is not in pain any more and he is with god now he's in a better place now!!! when you feel lonely or scared look to the sky's and you will see Patrick he is your Gardian Angel Now!!! you will see him again when it is your time to go!!! I will miss him dearly He was a good man and a great actor !!! My mom has cancer too i was with her though all the treatments now she is free from cancer !!! Thank GOD!!! MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL!! THANK YOU, TINA WILLIAMSON

JANELLE,BEN AND AMBER PORTER October 01, 2009 | 10:10 PM

Our hearts go out to patricks wife Lisa and families. Patrick was an inspiration and touched the lives and hearts of so many....

carol house October 01, 2009 | 1:40 PM

Dear Lisa and family What a great loss for all of you. Hopefully the great memories will put smiles on your faces and in time heal your brocken hearts. May Patrick RIP and keep watch over you. I read "THE TIME OF MY LIFE" AND what a great book and how hard the both of you worked. Keep on working hard Lisa cause it makes time fly. LOL & DEEPEST SYMPATHY (CAROL)

Frieda September 30, 2009 | 9:05 PM

My heart goes out to Lisa,his beloved wife.Np words can express my feeling at the loss of you Patrick. You were a wonderful human being,you were the best.Saw Dirth Dancing so many times I cant keep track and also Ghost.I imagine you as a warm and loving human being.We will all miss you sadly.I will keep you in my heart forever.

Nikki September 29, 2009 | 9:10 PM

to his friends and family and all else, I hope you go through this time in the most gentle way. i hope patrick rests happily. he was a great guy. how sad he passed cus of cancer :( i understand cancer a bit because my grandfathers both had it and i almost had it. cancer is a terrible thing

Terri September 29, 2009 | 5:52 PM

Lisa, my heart goes out to you during this difficult time. Just watching him during one of his last interviews, brought tears to my eyes and to feel the love that you two shared,was priceless. Not many people in this world are given an opportunity to have the connection the two of you shared, for that, my heart hurts for you. For Patick, my hearts sings of joy that he is no longer in pain and with our wonderful God :) Bless you

Mark Ireland September 29, 2009 | 9:02 AM

I am sorry for your lisa, Patrick will be sorely missed by millions of fans but much more by you and his family. I have admired Patrick's work and in all his films that he has made you can tell he was a Genuine & very honest man. I will miss him RIP Patrick Swayze.

Cathy Viviano September 28, 2009 | 11:16 AM

My condolences/sympathy to the Swayze family. I haven't heard of any funeral arrangements re: Patrick Swayze

essvana September 28, 2009 | 3:19 AM

I watched Dirty Dancing last night with tears in my eyes, my heart goes out to all your family. Goodnight God Bless. xx Essvana UK

essvana September 28, 2009 | 3:07 AM

I watched dirty dancing last night on TV and had a few tears at the end, you will be sadly missed Patrick my heart goes out to all your family. Essvana xx UK