Duggar's Pregnant Again

In TLC's show, 18 Kids and Counting, Michelle Duggar is a 42 year-old mom from Arkansas. She's not just any old mom -- she's the mother of eighteen kids and now has one more on the way -- along with one grandchild en route, too!

The Duggar family gather for number 18Although most of the attention in reality television and multiple births the past several months has centered on Jon and Kate, another reality TV family of multiples is headed fast towards the spotlight.

Here's the Duggar deal: there's Michelle and her husband Jim Bob. Then there are Joshua, 21; Jana and John-David, 19; Jill, 18; Jessa, 16; Jinger, 15; Joseph, 14; Josiah, 13; Joy-Anna, 11; twins Jedidiah and Jeremiah, 10; Jason, 9; James, 8; Justin, 6; Jackson, 5; Johanna, 3; Jennifer, 2, and Jordyn-Grace, 8 months.

Michelle is expecting their nineteenth child in March. She wrote on her blog, "I'm just thankful. I don't take this experience for granted, ever. I cherish that I have the time and ability to play with my children and be active for them. I don't take pregnancy for granted, either. I thought we might be done."

According to a conversation Michelle had with People.com, the family drinks seven gallons of milk on a weekly basis. Plus, they eat fifteen dozen eggs and fifteen boxes of Honey Nut Cheerios. In fact, the Duggars shop for bulk items once a month and then every few days they purchase fresh fruit and vegetables. Michelle told People.com, "Usually we are in the produce section buying huge quantities of apples, oranges, bananas, lettuce, carrots and things like that."

What is the Duggar's monthly budget for groceries and household goods? Why, it's $3,000!

Read on for more

SheKnows Parenting looks at the Duggar pregnancy
TLC's first multiples family, Jon and Kate Plus 8's latest
Reality TV Magazine's feature on the Duggar pregnancy

Comments

Comments on "Duggar's 18 Kids and Counting gets one more"

Katy November 03, 2009 | 1:47 PM

I really think that these people need to stop having kids. It's ok that you don't believe in birthcontrol, but God 19? That's way too many. When God said "Be fruitfull and multiply" He didn't mean for 1 family to do that. Close those legs girl..

Heather October 07, 2009 | 6:00 PM

I feel so very bad for all of you. I have the very same beliefs as the Duggars, and no one has ever criticized my family this way. This is not a cult. Jim Bob is no controlling. He's loving and provides guidance, and his wife submits to him biblically. Submitting to your husband doesn't mean your brainwashed or being walked on. It's the proper biblical roles for the family and, when done properly, is neither controlling or abusive. I submit to my husband. I trust that God is giving him the guidance to know what is best for our family. He asks my opinion. I get the chance to put my two cents in. Sometimes his way is the best answer and sometimes mine is...submitting is knowing that when we are in disagreement that he has the biblical right to make the final decision. Some women ARE OKAY with not being a feminist. I know I am. And my family works out perfectly...I'm a stay at home, homeschooling mother of three who is dedicated to letting God decide what is good for my family, including how many are in it. God Bless the Duggars who are BRAVE enough to show the world how they live, dispite all the criticism from the feminist movement that is responsible for many of the problems of this nation. Some people are just choosing to do things the old-fashioned way...you know...before the high rates of theft, rape, murder, violence, single parenthood, being a working mother, out of marriage, etc.

polly September 15, 2009 | 10:33 PM

I have been following the Duggar's on their show for the last 3 or 4 years. Initially I was astounded by their belief system! As I learned more about the family I realized that they were self- sufficient. There was no public aide so I figured " who cares what they do?" But you are right...those kids are like little clones. The thing that really is concerning to me is, are the older girls really responsible for the child rearing, cooking, cleaning, laundry?? That is crazy!! They should not be responsible for their siblings. Sometimes, okay but not every moment. I think the kids,specifically the older ones should be allowed to choose their future. Which reminds me of poor Erin Bates, one of the children of another large fundy- family. This girl is so talented!! She plays the piano like it is second nature. She was offered a scholarship to a school for music but declined. If you watch the video you can see the pain and despair in her eyes and voice. You KNOW she wants to go to school to become a professional pianist but because of her parents belief system, she had to decline. What a waste of talent. Having said that, I can't help but to continue to watch the Duggars but I do so with concern for their kids. I only hope that they are allowed choices in their futures.

Erin September 09, 2009 | 8:14 PM

Though my grandma had 14 kids, I can't help but think about the health risks involved in this pregnancy. Not only is she above the age threshold of a normal birth (down syndrome, etc) but she also has some very young kids to care for that will make it difficult to do while pregnant.

Lori September 08, 2009 | 8:05 PM

To reply to Peggy: You need not worry about their children's education when you haven't had enough yourself. Learn to spell before you throw those stones!

melissa floyd September 05, 2009 | 1:05 AM

I have 4 children and they almost drive me crazy! I love them but one person can only take so much. How in the world do these people handle all these kids? God wasnt talking about one person doing all of the multiplying in the world!!! JB aint God and he needs to quit acting like it. If I was her I would come up missing one day and come home with a tubal before he got me pregnant again!!!

shirley September 04, 2009 | 10:58 AM

I think this poor woman is in a trance. It reminds me of a cult. I do agree that JB seems very selfish and controlling. I do not appreciate the Duggers using this as a religious thing Again I repeat it is a cult in which JB is in. Or maybe he thinks he's GOD. I feel sorry for those children. That is the only thing they will ever know. How to have babies. The oldest is going through the same line as his father, he married and is expecting a child, poor wife she doesn't seem normal.

Kathy September 03, 2009 | 7:21 PM

More power to them!! I guess you all are perfect parents, I think the Duggars are doing an awesome job! raising there children in the way of the of the Lord. The Duggars will be probably be even more prepared then most of you for the world and its future. Amen

abc September 03, 2009 | 6:56 PM

Have they ever heard of "CONDOM"? C-O-N-D-O-M?

Peggy September 03, 2009 | 6:34 PM

I think they need to stop producing more babies.The country is going throgh a recession .There is no way these children are being equipped with the proper tools and education to survive in this tough world.It takes alot for a loving christian home to to raise one or two children and get them ready for the world. This family is having more children to get the funds and ratings.Makes my stomach ache!

Sandie September 03, 2009 | 4:22 PM

I understand totally what you are saying Carle. It amazes me that 20 people interact day in and day out and never seem to have an "off" day. The monitone voice Michelle uses when speaking only adds to her robotic contribution to the program. At the beginning of the show while Michelle is introduction all 19 "J's" she also mentions their income by renting offices. How many flipping offices could they have in that itty bitty tiny little town they call home? $3,000.00 a month for food is more than I make in take home wages in a month... I know they are expecting # 19 .. would they consider adoption? I am available. I am going to be 66 but would be a wonderful life-in grandmother figure and I will help babysit. Maybe give a couple of the girls the opportunity to get out and kick up their heels. Sad children don't have a choice in parents, but parents do have a choice in children...like how many to have. One episode they were talking about their oldest boy after he got married. The jest of the conversation was, "he is now a man and has to figure it out". I couldn't help but wonder if that wonder family picture they paid on every program is actually a family? Do they just write you off when you turn 18 or get married? What happens if you need family in a rough time, are they going to be available? I get the feeling NOT ... we have TONS of babies, raise them to legal age and then..your outta here friend...sink or swim. QUESTION - When does Mr. studly JB get that quiet romantic time women love with their man? That time is probably calcualted (by JB) to the minute - very organized, not one wasted second...bing bam done. Does Michelle ever get an unsolicted kiss or hug? She doesn't offer that to her children that is for sure.

carle September 03, 2009 | 1:16 PM

I’ve been watching the show for a few years now and the Duggars do not seem like loving supportive parents. Instead, Jim Bob seems like a controlling, dominating figure that has his whole family in an obedient trance, including Michelle. They all do exactly what he wishes with no other choices. Michelle seems like she is in a robotic stage. On the show, she doesn’t interact or connect with the kids. She calls them “the children” in general but doesn’t communicate one on one. She doesn’t seem to take them anywhere by herself or show any affection to any of them. She only holds the baby to feed her, and pretty much ignores the rest of the kids, who are raising each other as well as cooking and cleaning all day long. She is a body that the master JB impregnates when and as he wishes — all in the name of religion. The kids don’t seem to show much emotion. They hold everything in and don’t have interaction with people outside their beliefs. They have only home schooling, which finishes at 16. What about college? What about part time jobs? On one show, they asked the kids what they wanted to be when they grew up and the girls mostly said “midwife.” What about friends? Poor Joy Anna looks like she is dying to have friends her own age to do “girl” stuff with. The kids should have the chance to have a life of their own, develop their own interests and be their own person — not a clone of Jim Bob. If that’s what they choose then fine, but they should all have the choice to live their life however they want. Call it religion. Call it conservative, call it whatever you want. What is it really? Jim Bob populating his kingdom with clones of himself, all named with the letter J, just like him. These kids have no choices, no higher education, no friends, no outside interests. Jim Bob has twisted them so much that each one seems like only a shell of a person without choices, emotions or interaction outisde of the Jim Bob kingdom. Has anyone else noticed this??