Breaking News: Michael Jackson's Death

Only 50 years old, longtime music legend Michael Jackson has died.

June 29 Breaking news:

Michael Jackson's mother wants custody!

Michael Jackson's mother has filed papers in a Los Angeles courts moments ago to seek legal guardianship over Michael Jackson's three children.

The hearing for the petition is being held on August 3 on behalf of Katherine Jackson.

Joe Jackson, who attended the BET Awards June 28 that turned an awards show into an impromptu Michael Jackson celebration, told CNN his family plans to win the case.

"We're not trying to get custody," Jackson says. "We will get custody and have custody."

June 29 at 2:25 pm update:

It's only been less than a week after his death, actually a mere four days but a custody battle is already in progress?

As Michael Jackson's family, friends, and countless international fans mourn his sudden death and find out more about his life, his mother Katherine Jackson and Debbie Rowe are apparently already talking about who should get custody of his three children. In fact, Katherine has filed a petition in California asking for legal guardianship of his three children.

Here's the thing: MJ had two biological children, Prince, 12, and Paris, 11 with his ex-wife Debbie Rowe. He has a third child, Prince Michael II (Yes, apparently both of his sons have the first name of Prince. Who knew?) with an undisclosed surrogate. Technically Debbie is still the legal parent of Prince and Paris yet the children have been staying with their grandmother, Katherine, since last Thursday.

In August a hearing on the petition will be held but we can only hope for the sake of the children that their lives do not get disrupted significantly. After all, they're dealing with the death of their father, Michael Jackson, international legend, superstar. Let's hope they don't get embroiled in the middle of a custody battle that will make headlines for sure.

While some experts are saying his will should outline who becomes the legal guardian in the tragic event such as this, another question of course is who gets his fortune, his Neverland Ranch and even prized possessions in his home? For the sake of the children we hope it's a relatively quick decision as they move forward with their lives.

The latest on Michael Jackson's autopsy

As worldwide fans mourn him and enjoy listening to his music once more (apparently sales for his albums are up 721-percent since yesterday!), questions remain surrounding his death. Sure, we know the basic 4-1-1 about the 9-1-1 and cardiac arrest but was there perhaps something deeper, some lingering ailment which precipitated his sudden passing?

The Los Angeles County Coroner's office started conducting its autopsy today to determine the cause of the King of Pop's sudden death. As reported by the New York Times, the LAPD is honing in on Michael Jackson's private doctor, a cardiologist with a practice in Las Vegas. Last night the police department impounded the doctor's car to search for medicine such as prescription drugs or perhaps other evidence. Speculators have already mentioned they suspect drugs were an attributing factor to the death but until the facts came in, it's just that: speculation.

As the call came into 911 by identifying a fifty year-old man (not specifically saying it was Michael), the caller also indicated he was not responding to CPR or anything. The doctor was the only person who was witnessing this. The police want to interview the doctor and search the car for medications or evidence that may help the coroner.

Although the autopsy itself will take a few hours, toxology results have been known to take six to eight weeks. Initial reports of his death indicate cardiac arrest whereby Michael was rushed to a nearby hospital. At 2:26 pm the King of Pop was pronounced dead.

Initial Reports:

After apparently suffering a sudden cardiac arrest (heart failure), an ambulance was reportedly called to Michael Jackson's Southern California home.

The LA Fire Department spokesperson says that Jackson was not breathing when they arrived on the scene and was revived. Michael Jackson was revived by medics at a Los Angeles residence and then transfered to the UCLA Medical Facility.

TMZ first reported Michael Jackson died, as other publications initally listed the singer as being in a coma. Within a half-hour, AP and the Los Angeles Times confirmed Michael Jackson dead.

See more Michael Jackson death coverage hereMichael's brother Jermaine Jackson said the singer was pronounced dead at 2:26 pm Pacific time.

Further details of the Michael Jackson death are still emerging.

The singer who had 13 number one solo hits was in the midst of attempting a comeback.

LA Fire Department responded to a West Los Angeles residence call at 12:21 pm where a patient was treated for cardiac arrest and rushed to UCLA Medical Center.

Michael Jackson has been rushed to UCLA Medical CenterSoon after, he slipped into a coma, and then Michael Jackson was dead.

Michael Jackson's children, Michael Jackson, Jr., Paris Michael Katherine Jackson and Prince Michael Jackson II, whereabouts are unknown. We would assume they are on their way to Los Angeles, if they are not already there.

More details as they emerge... stay on SheKnows Entertainment for regular updates.

Share your reaction to Michael Jackson's death below!

Comments

Comments on "The death of Michael Jackson: What we know so far"

Jennifer June 21, 2010 | 4:11 PM

Michael---a child-like spirit that loved all. Overcompensated for what he lacked as a child and misunderstood by society for it. Michael forgive those who wrongly accused you. God sees all. Help us not to judge others so harshly without knowing the facts. Let us learn from this tragedy. Let us stop judging others and let us let God be the Judge. This anxiety caused SLEEPless nights for MJ as he tried to be accepted by his judgers. Don't throw stones people. Let God be the Judge. Michaels child-like behavior was never-ending. Society was wrong to judge him when we ourselves are sinners too. Drugs became his doom as he pondered how to please the people he loved.

Addy May 01, 2010 | 9:32 PM

We love you Michael - ALWAYS & FOREVERMORE!

Nadya September 15, 2009 | 6:52 AM

Why you go michael...?? You going to world and we have very sad...' we praying good to you michael

Noran September 13, 2009 | 7:44 PM

Oh. Michael i'm really miss you your soul will be with us for ever and your music will stay forever we love you michael and any one try tor say any thing bad to you i will punish him.

Nanette July 31, 2009 | 3:08 AM

I just cant believe it. Its like one of my family members died. I cried all through the memorial service. I still cant believe hes dead. God bless him & his family specially his children. Rest in peace MICHAEL JACKSON!!!!!!!

mary santos July 09, 2009 | 11:48 AM

I have been so saddened by the news of his death. I have sympathy for his family and fans.The day of his memorial at the Staples Center was so sad. I cried all day and was in morning. I still have trouble accepting it. God bless him and may he rest in peacexoxoxox Mary

paula July 08, 2009 | 8:05 PM

I am just speechless, still can't believe it, I really loved MJ and his brothers. the funeral made me really miss my brother. MJ did alot for everyone just hope that everyone rememeber MJ for all the good he done for everyone, and not the bad that everyone is trying to say, I feel what he felt, people react to depression and pressure in different ways and does not a person weird. I still love MJ and he will truly be missed, sorry family for ur lost, I lost my brother the same way and still don't know what happen to him.

Michael July 05, 2009 | 3:05 PM

I have tertiary syphilis.

Jacqueline July 04, 2009 | 4:48 PM

God Bless Michael and his family. He will forever been in our hearts and he will never be forgotten. Thank you Michael for all the music, memories and love. As for VeNam, your "munchkin" comment was very disrespectful and never should have been posted. Were you there for the alleged things Michael was accused of? I don't think so. He was a wonderful person who did so much good for so many people. You are an ignorant person...your dumb comment proved that. Let Michael rest in peace.

RITA July 03, 2009 | 9:16 AM

TO THE FAMILY OF MICHEAL JACKSON.I FELL SORRY FOR YOUR LOSE I LOVE MJ,HE WAS A GREAT SINGER ONE OF THE BEST. I HOPE THE MEDIA AND THE PUBLIC WOULD LET YOUR FAMILY MOURN IN PEACE. BUT THIS IS AMERICAN AND THEY ARE NOT GOING TO LET THAT HAPPEN. MAY GOD BE WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

RITA July 03, 2009 | 9:14 AM

karen July 02, 2009 | 11:11 PM

the news of michael was a shock to me then and still is,it's so hard to comprehend that he is gone,i have always loved his music and him as a person,i will forever miss him and will keep him alive through his music,to his family you'll are in my thoughts and prayers,god bless and rest in peace michael.

erica July 02, 2009 | 9:36 PM

I have been a michael jackson fan all my life, and I really miss him and my heart goes out to the jackson family. At first, when I heard about him passing, it felt like a dream. I wish I was dreaming, but I"m not! Michael really didn't know that so many people care. But now he's gone, and it's too late. So all I'm saying is don't wait until some one die to show them you care.

zanetta July 02, 2009 | 5:31 PM

my prayer is that he had a relationship with god, because that is the only thing that matters at the end of all our lives.

Ream July 02, 2009 | 10:45 AM

I love michael from all my heart, hes the best ever, it hurts so bad that hes dead, i lost motive and energy now that hes gone, i wished to see him before i die or he dies, but it never came true, so i hope i can see him in heaven. Rest in peae man, i love you.

Ream July 02, 2009 | 10:44 AM

Debra Rogers June 30, 2009 | 12:37 PM

Another legend is gone and that is the one and only Michael Jackson. Michael Jackson made music that appealed to all races and he was an outstanding human being as well. He made mistakes but haven't we all did that? My thoughts and prayers goes out to the Jackson family. Michael will be missed and there will never be another entertainer of color that will be as successful as Michael Jackson. He leaves behind three children, a father and mother and three sisters and five brothers and a legacy of fans who loved him and respected him. His mistakes that were made, only God can judge him and not us. His music will live forever in our hearts and minds. There was only one Michael Jackson and there will NEVER be another entertainer like him. I pray that his soul is with The Lord and he is smiling down on everyone who knew him and loved him. Michael, you will be missed and I love you.

Olivia June 30, 2009 | 11:51 AM

It's heart breaking, but at least Michael's soul is Emancipated and he can live in peace now, and away from the media trash. I LOVE U Michael. R.I.P. :(

Joanne June 30, 2009 | 9:01 AM

A true legend never dies. Music touches our soul and Miceal is proof that the soul never dies. He will forever live in all those he touched. RIP Micheal you were truly loved. Thank you....

audrey June 29, 2009 | 3:47 PM

hey M.J. is gone but he will forever b apart of all who ever met him or listen to his music or sit still watching his video,learning new moves.To his parents to his brothers and sisters and his lovely children.u have lost someone close to your heart but just remember him by what he has done.